Monday, March 05, 2007

BLACK FOLKS MOAN

I go to a black school in a very black city. On a day to day basis the only interactions I have with non-black folk is my Indian homegirl, and maybe an intercultural stare down at a 4-way stop as I’m rolling thru town.

So imagine the jolt when I went to pole dancing class on Saturday and shared a small, confined space with a bunch of white girls.

It was like grade school gym class all over again. So weird, that I was conscious of not so much being in their presence, but in having been away for so long. I was reminded of their mannerisms, the way they stand. The white girl way of slumping shoulders and flinging bangs. Freckles. Pancake azzes. Sneakers with shoelaces actually tied (and tied tightly at that). Still wet hair.

I can make these observations because I’m white-familiar. I didn’t grow up in a colored-only city. Me and Tawandas and Maliks and Latonyas grew up with Beccas and Siobhans and Lauras and Heidis and Katies. I have a point of reference, and very few racial biases that are not personally rooted in individual experiences.

But then I became conscious of the very real possibility that these chicks didn’t grow up with Keishas and Briannas and Kadijahs. That maybe I was their intermittent incarnation of Bl@ck History Month. And suddenly, I was embarrassed of “my” image.

Shit, seemed like that month was never gonna end. Is it me, or was that the longest 28 days EVER? My stance on the occasion…in short, I think it’s absurd to think you can wrap us into the short month. But I also think it’s a very necessary way to force white folks (shit, us too) to acknowledge our accomplishments, contributions, struggles.

But if you do not live or work with or around or near Black folks, then what exactly have you learned about us?

Even if you’ve made a concerted effort to avoid us all month, chances are you’ve watched TV, surfed the net, opened a daily, or turned on the radio…and there we are, shouting our pride from the rooftops.

We’re proud of our black prez candidate
. Even tho he admits to smoking weed, he’s still not considered blacker than our honorary 1st black prez (who smoked AND got his dcik sucked AND played the sax on Arsenio AND had a white wife).

We’re proud to be homophobic (PS…who gave Hard@way a mic anyway?? That dude is one of the least articulate athletes EVER)

We are shocked and mournful of the sudden announcement that we are now hated by our Ch!nese brothers and sisters.

We’re proud of our right to assemble…amongst ballers.

And equally vocal in one conservative idiot's disdain for the so-called “Bl@ck KKK.”

Never to be outdone, hip hop was finally exposed for the misogynistic, homoerotic, hypermasculine culture that it is (if you haven’t peeped this doc yet pls check your local listings)

The streets of NY are much safer now that nigg@s can’t say the N-word.

We proudly confirm that white folks were dead wrong for not allowing us to act all these years. We’re not just great athletes, dammit. If there’s one thing we CAN do it’s sing. And if given the opportunity we can also dance and bring humanity to African dictators, too! (All jokes and sarcasm aside, FW’s performance was amazing!)

And no, Blacks are NOT lagging behind academically. Did you hear how clear Mary read off those 50+ names in her Grammy acceptance speech? I hope ‘Tasia pass her test too.

We are also proudly… braid by braid, thug by thug… ceremoniously cutting off the cornrows (Jermaine O’N!el, Rip Hamilton), and being rewarded for it (Luda).


Even though our men may not pay that child support, Ty!er Perry revealed fascinating evidence this month that proves they DO love and support their kids. Hell, BBrown was at his daughter’s cheerleading competition when he got cuffed.

And my man Rev. Al (whose radio show I listen to religiously) reminded us that we should further investigate the claims that there may have been black slaves owned by whites in South Carolina back in the day.

I don’t know about yall, but I need the month of March to recoup. We had a very busy 28 days.

I’m not sure how well I’m actually living up to “my” image.

But I do know that the black folks that most white folks “know”… the ones they liberally invite into their lives daily via TV, newspaper, music and film…are new to me too. I tune in to learn about this bizarre (televised) black culture myself. And I consider myself black-familiar. lol

Forgive me if I don't appear in the mood to celebrate. That's just public perception.

18 comments:

Amadeo said...

I'm trying not to hear Dave Chapelle in the pancake butt reference.

A Morgan State...that place where I...had some classes...and did other stuff.

Everyday I go from an all black neighborhood...to a mixed Starbucks where the folks are cool...past UMD where they clutch their purses. I used to want white people to acknowledge our past, but first they need to be able to be next us to us without squirming...then they might be ready to understand why they should squirm when we come in.

TTD said...

i went to a stripper class sat too! xpose.. is that the one u went to? i went to the one in owings mills...

i too am "white-familiar" (i love that term.. lol)

good post.. im definitely going to check out some of those links u posted..

Anonymous said...

I consider myself white-familiar. It is wierd. It is like I understand them but I know I will never be fully accepted as just a person. But it still does not stop me from being friends with Whites or trying to teach them to think outside the box when interacting with Black people

Miz JJ said...

I grew up in Canada. I am definitely white-familiar. I am upset that I missed that doc on hip hop. That looked really good.

onefromphilly said...

I saw the hip-hop documentary. Well done!
Long over due!

as for this version of hip-hop

Like Sam Cooke said: A change gonna come....

Da Arsonist said...

Let's calm down on Hip-hop now....

But i'm feeling you on being White-Familiar.

And big-ups for outing that Idiot Jason Shit....Whitlock.
I swear he's penning the next installment of Uncle Tom's Cabin.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo says..."I used to want white people to acknowledge our past, but first they need to be able to be next us to us without squirming."

Precisely. But it's a vicious cycle cuz they squirm bec they think they know us bec of what they see on TV...and dammit, if all I knew about white people was what I learned during BHM Id be scared of their azzes too!

TTD...Shut UP! YES, I was at the Xpose on Loch Rav near Joppa. It was fun but I kept wanting to bust out laughing bec the instructors were soooo unsexy. lol

Epsi...Boy, you live in Erie, PA...you more than white-famil! It's a ridiculous burden, but you have a lot of influence on the folks at your school cuz you're prob the 1st for lots of them, i'm sure.

MizzJJ...The Canadian white folks I know are too, um, Canadian to even express any type of race consciousness. Are they as nonsense as our white folk?lol
As for the doc, I JUST caught it this weekend, so maybe you can still catch a rerun.

Philly...VERY well done. And I bet PBS hasnt had that many black viewers since Electric Company. lol

Arsonist says..."Let's calm down on Hip-hop now...."
Still holdin on for dear life, huh? lol

As for shitlock, where to even begin.

So...Wise...Sista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Brown Girl said...

Unfortunately my Feburary was busy with a bunch of personal shyt that had nothing to do with my being black. I enjoyed most of it too!!! But I do regret not taking any time to do anything special to honor my people/my heritage....well that is unless you count partying until the sun came up with british caribbeans for most of the month. On second thought I think I did a great job celebrating black history month...LOL!!!

Dee said...

quick question
did you notice Forest Whitaker was in blackface for that role?

CNEL said...

Once you're done school, and if you start teaching I'm coming to sit in your classes. LoL after your posts I always feel like unlike school in some cases, I am forced to think.

I consider myself a diversity person so I'm trying to become familiar with people. But I surprise myself sometimes, cause some days I feel ignant, I need to become even more familiar.

Jameil said...

my comment was deleted days ago making me irate. i have only now been able to breathe calmly enough to try to recreate the genius...

TOO MANY LINKS. good thing i knew all of those stories except al and strom! wth?!! don't let me find some of my ancestors' owners! there would be hell to pay!!! i'd be like i got bout 4-5 future kids who need to go to college.

why does bmore have so many stripper classes?!?!?!? you should have seen how unwhite familiar hampton made me! wow! i was pointing out white people when i came back home.

yes, this was longest black history month EVER!! can we bury james brown yet? how's that for black history month? did you see the race on best week ever b/t anna nicole and jb? HUH-larious. they were like he was ahead and she still beat him in the ground!!!

ny is so f-ing stupid. YO. if you're not gonna tell kids WHY the "n-word" is bad, think maybe that's even more an exercise in futility!! tired of lawmakers and their b.s. decrees and proclamations.

tow up to cuff bbrown at his daughter's comp! damn! way to keep a black man down and embarrass the hell out of a little black girl!! (but bobby, pay yo child support!! support comes in the form of money, too, negro!!!)

So...Wise...Sista said...

RD says..."unless you count partying until the sun came up with british caribbeans for most of the month."

Ummm, sounds like the best kind of bhm celebratin to me!

GC says..."did you notice Forest Whitaker was in blackface for that role?"

Yes I did. Sans the big red/white lips tho. So the Academy was being VERY generous in overlooking that minstrel omission.lol

CNelly...you can come to my classes and do a diversity workshop. Deal?

Jameil says..."TOO MANY LINKS."
Intentionally so. That's how I felt all month...overwhelmed and inundated with black stuff. lol

"you should have seen how unwhite familiar hampton made me!"

And that's not even among the blackest hbcu's. lol I KEEED, I KEEED! I love messin with hamptonites.

"did you see the race on best week ever b/t anna nicole and jb?"

That shit was fantastic. And as if the JB drama aint as riveting. I want round the clock coverage of the meat locker they got him in. I want Rev Al to host, and I want nonstop audio from the hot mess white wife and young bastard halfbreed son. THAT is good tv. Wasnt it just sweeps!

"if you're not gonna tell kids WHY the "n-word" is bad, think maybe that's even more an exercise in futility!!"

Exact. But if you've ever been on a subway train with a bunch of 15 year olds you'd understand why in an ideal world, the ban could actually be enforced.

As for BB...he's broke! So how they expect him to pay 17% of nothing! Po thing. lol

La said...

It didn't occur to me that it was Black History Month til I realized it was March already. I missed 28 days.

I've never been particularly hardcore about Black History Month (or Hispanic History Month either for that matter) because it's so confining. You want me to celebrate and explain the entire history of a people in 28 days? Riiiiiiight.

I've never been more aware of being a black girl til now being around white people all day. Being at Howard let me be my regular old Atlien self. Being here in Caucasionville I've never felt more outta place. The differences are blatant.

Jameil said...

HAMPTONIANS trick nasty. i've never been on the subway. i rode MARTA in ATL once. omg! did you know the funeral home dude said jb was embalmed w/in hrs so he's in great shape... they could even have another viewing if they wanted. AND he goes in, and opens the gold casket DAILY b/c its the only way he can make sure he's still there. I CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP!! i'm the official "is he buried yet" person at work. they ask me all the time. its great.

what if someone was trying to sell jb on ebay?!?!? i wouldn't put it past that "wife" and them kids who won't even let their daddy be buried damn near 3 MONTHS after his death. triflin.

Anonymous said...

I wanna come to your class and do a diversity workshop with C-Nel!!

SunshineMama said...

I think that was a fabulous recap of black history month. Fabulous!...Just stoppin through. It's been a minute! I had to check on ya.

Acolyte said...

Nice blog! I too can say I'm white conscious, they do take getting some used to though!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers