Monday, October 22, 2007

LAUGH NOW

Wrapped neatly in a shiny red bow, my laugh is the gift that keeps on giving. It is by far among God’s greatest creations. Is there a more versatile weapon than The Laugh?

It is a social lubricant of sorts. A well-timed laugh can ease an awkward silence, and even endear a stranger. It’s widely documented that I generally dislike People, so can you imagine NOT having the option of laughing behind one’s back?? *shudder*

It is a natural punctuation. Small giggles hook long explanations like commas. Drawn out cackles connect compound sentences…like an ellipsis. Inappropriate laughs clank like dangling participles or grammatically incorrectibles. Involuntarily, often.

Ever diffuse a situation with the simple stroke of a snicker? Tension high and thick like butter. Then a loud, languid laugh slices through it like a warm knife. Now that’s power. Speaking of which…

Laughter garners control. While on the one hand it aims to charm and perhaps even disarm, a laugh is lethal when flexed like a strong arm. I’ll admit, I’m not exactly always conscious and calculated about it, but I recognize it when it happens. The effect is fantastic, as power tends to be.

But what happens when you find that the big stick you wield is no longer the biggest on the block? When your laugh is merely the baseline for another? When you’re the one disarmed and charmed? When that other laugh resonates, echoes even, at decibels beyond your capacity?

My legs parted slightly, trembling already, involuntarily of course. A tongue tracing in ALL CAPS along my skin, exclamation points abound. My mind a mess of meandering moments, maybe more or less than a full second. Not sure. Lost, kind of.

Generously self-lubricated and aware that I generally dislike People, but let this one in. Deep, in fact.

To the point of no return. Beyond the door at which control is checked and relinquished.

A shiny red ribbon tying neat figure 8s around My Spot. It’s no joke now. Ask my legs. They refuse to stop shivering. Ask my mind, and you’ll get no answer. Blank stares as I’m climbing blank stairs, no labels or signs to direct me.

My legs parted wide, the trembling now concentrated under my skin where I can’t reach it. And though my hands are useless anyways, occupied by scalp, I don’t want anything altered. Not the rhythm, not the angle, not anything about this particular pubic probe.

Except that would require relinquishing control. And I can’t even do that, just this once.

Cue the well-timed Laugh. Long and lean like an interfering defensive back. Blindsiding the moment...mid-munch.

The abrupt awkward silence. My legs wide shut. Tight. The recall of personal space...and control. Such a versatile weapon.

The greatest gift…and curse.

Damn.

18 comments:

Amadeo said...

Naughty.

DurtyMo said...

Geezuz! Imma need to go take a bathroom break!!! Woooooooo!!!!

Organized Noise said...

I could write a similar story, except it would involve and ill-timed Charlie Horse.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Wise...whatchu doin' in Maryland?

...ummm, he got a friend?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo...Not naughty...Niiiiiice!

Durt...SUCH a mess. hahahahahaha

ON...But did u subconsciously pull the charlie horse ON PURPOSE? See the difference?

Blah...I been runnin a cotdamn muck.
A friend? I'll ask. :)

dc_speaks said...

damn!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

First thing that came to mind once I finished reading:

I bet he cant do it like me. Just playing lol!!

Adei von K said...

ha-ha, he got your azz...

"shiny red ribbon"
get it Wise!!!

Anonymous said...

So......what was on your mind?

1969 said...

You laughed? C'mon Wise....you gotta learn to let go in the moment....especially when it involves the shiny red ribbon.

Jameil said...

what's wrong with laughing? i need someone i can laugh with... but i guess its different when its a defense mechanism. listen to 1969.

Jameil said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
So...Wise...Sista said...

DC...Right?!


Epsi...With yo young hot ass!! lol


Stace...Oh hush!!


BGood says..."So......what was on your mind?"

A familiar free fall. And not in a good way.


1969 says..."you gotta learn to let go in the moment"

Learn? That's a lesson I never needed help with...until now it seems. Not to mention, my affinity for the Shiny Red Ribbon is well documented so you KNOW I got issues. lol


Jameil...Being with someone who can (and often does) laugh at ME is the best part!!

the joy said...

lmao... i can relate. although with me, i find that i lose control of my limbs and am liable to break a neck...

though im sire after this laugh you had one of those... "oh damn why did i just do that?" moments.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I like your blog--this is the first time I've been over and definitely wont be the last!

Have a good weekend

www.yazmar.com

Anonymous said...

Hmmm. I like your blog--this is the first time I've been over and definitely wont be the last!

Have a good weekend

www.yazmar.com

Anonymous said...

imma have to start a laughin workout!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers