Saturday, January 01, 2005

MY NY Story: 24

By the time I was 24, I had been living and working in NYC for 2 years. But it was not my first taste of city living. As a senior at Syra.cuse I had enough credits to graduate early. But instead of finishing in December, a semester ahead of my friends, I decided to spend the more tedious, cold and boring Fall semester working in NYC.

The year before, I was invited by the IR.ST to a conference that changed my life. So bizarre, I don't keep in touch with anyone from that weekend, but a few months later I did end up fcuking this guy I met there who went to nearby Itha.ca College. Yet another sexual digression...

[Now take notes young journos]...So at the conference I met with a lot of recruiters for companies in NY, and hooked up an internship with the Today Show [sidenote: the day of my formal interview I show up at 30 Rock, only to learn that the recruiter with whom I was to meet had kicked the bucket that weekend. Literally dead. They politely sent me home, where I cried my eyes out...only to receive a follow up phone call, apology and an offer for the position.] From that conference I also kept in touch with the recruiter from a network, and eventually got a job offer (which I accepted) just before graduation.

So fast fwd to me, 24, working and in a serious relationship. I remember quite vividly waking up one morning at my boo's crib uptown. In the morning we always awoke to Hot 97 and GMA. Starr was of course infamous for being inappropriate, so when he made mention on air of an absurd accident downtown, we shook our heads in disapproval and turned on the TV. Sure enough we saw the second plane hit the second tower. Walked outside and could smell the carnage from over 116 blocks away. Didn't ride the subway for weeks after Sept. 11. Not until my boo's 24th bday a few weeks later.

No comments:

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers