Sunday, October 14, 2007

I JUST WONDERED

Do you ever wonder what your life might be like if your history was altered, even slightly? I don’t normally, but an interesting convo with my mom sent my imagination into orbit.

One of her homegirls from back in the day is finally retiring. Her daughters, who I think are just a bit older than me, threw her a surprise party and knew from all those “back in the day” stories that my mom should be among the invitees.

So Mom’s all excited about her trip to Queens for the party. I arrange her travel and we talk daily about how she feels like a teenager, all anxious and excited to go. She’s doing a lot of reminiscing and I’m doing a lot of listening, because I realized recently that I don’t really know too much about either of my parents’ lives before my black ass arrived at the last minute.

*In my best Sophia from Golden Girls voice*


Picture if you will… Washington, DC, 1967…as told by Mother Wise…

“My father died two weeks before I was scheduled to leave Jamaica for America. I was torn about what to do. I felt like I should stay, but I knew in my heart that I couldn’t stand to be there without him. Half of the family thought I should stay, the other half demanded I go. So go I did.

“Back in those days America was recruiting people from the islands to come and work here as domestics. So when I got to DC, there were a lot of us already here. The Jamaican ambassador used to throw these parties every weekend at his house and all the young people would go. That’s where I met Urseline, Claudette, lawd, so many people.

“So one Saturday I went to the party and I met a guy who was the ambassador’s personal chef. I had seen him at all the parties before and some of his friends were friends with some of mine. Your father.

“All of a sudden I’m at the Ambassador’s house all the time, and getting to know your dad. Then out of the blue I don’t talk to him for a day, then two days, then almost a week.
By the end of that week I get a call from your Aunt Urseline (the one who’s retiring), and she says she has something to tell me.

“Future Wise’s Daddy is moving to NY. That’s why he hasn’t called you. He doesn’t know how to tell you. He quit his job with the ambassador because he said they weren’t paying him right. So he’s going up to NY with his uncle.”

“By the time I get your father on the phone I find out it’s true. For the next year I spent a lot of time on the bus traveling from Washington to NY. That was, what, 1968.”

“So Mommy, did you have to ride the back of the buses and stuff like that?”

“No! That was long gone. I didn’t get any of that stuff when I got here.” [Editor’s note: Yo, FYI- West Indians are notorious for their denial of racism and vicitimization. I’m struck by the fact that my Mom has no recollection of no ’68 riots or nothing!]

“So you moved Upstate and lived happily ever after?”

“No. First I moved to Long Island to work for another year. Then on one visit Upstate I just never went back. By this time I got my permanent resident papers. Naturally, I married your Dad and he got his.”

*

I’m struck by the Choose Your Own Adventureness of my parents’ history. Had their decisions or circumstances been altered in any tiny number of ways, my entire life would have been also.

What if the Ambassador hadn’t tried to be slick with my Dad’s paper? I might have been born in Howard Hospital, and grown up in an Embassy. Who the hell would my friends have been? Would my professional aspirations be the same? Would my parents have earned more money? Would I have been one of those bourgie West Indians who mentally separated myself from the common folks (read: Trinis. I kid, I kid!)

God forbid, would I be a Bison alum? *shudder at the thought*

Or what about if my mom had persuaded my Dad to come chill on Long Island? Who the hell would I be then? Would I have an obnoxious accent, grown up sneaking my way onto the LIRR en route to some Brooklyn house parties? Would I have been destined for Columbia or worse, NYU? Who would my best friends be? What about my first kiss, my fav teacher, daily routine? If not Mimi D., then whose ass would I have whupped in my only official fist fight? Wait, I’m still a lil concerned about that accent…

Or better yet, what if my mother had chosen to stay in Jamaica after burying her father? Who might my father be then? Would that technically constitute me being me at all under those circumstances?

It’s hard not to look back for guidance on your journey forward.

Even harder not to wonder.

23 comments:

Organized Noise said...

You, a Bison?!?!?!?! I shudder the thought as well.

1969 said...

Don't be dissing the Trini's cause we are bougie. LOL

No common folk for us.

Yes, west indian parents have selective memory. My mother claims she got pregnant with me the first time she slept with my father. LOL

Amadeo said...

I have few moments that I know are key in my life. If I had gone to the middle or high school I was supposed to go to. If I hadn't worked at that group home. If I never kicked it at Starbucks.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I wonder about that all the time...
I can't imagine...the who, the why, the where, the when...just so many varibles in my circumstances of my birth...my parents...

*about the time span in between your post...do something about that! You are here for my entertainment dammit...entertain me!*
LOL...sorta...

Chris the Minimalist said...

i wonder sometimes

dc_speaks said...

my head hurts from doing the "what if" thing. your story did make me think a little harder.

damn you and your story!!! lol!

La said...

*breezing right on by all that hate at my alma mater*

I always wonder what if. And I'm even pissed at some of the things that I know would have been different had I just chosen differently or been born somewhere else or whatever the case my be. When I'm being objective, I realize that I am right where I am supposed to be.

When I am NOT being objective (like right now) I am sent off on a torturous tangent of what ifs.

Thanks for that.

So...Wise...Sista said...

ON...Right?!

1969...I met the nicest Trini guy today...so cordial, without a hint of condescension. And dont you know I asked him no less than 5 times to verify where he was from. :)


Amadeo...Starbucks...AWWW!


Blah...That's the beauty of it...the ridiculousness of the possibilities. And bout the blog bullying...beat it! (unless of course you wanna ghostwrite for me. lol)


Christina...Isnt it fun!


DC...Sorry! i was just wondering out loud...


LaLa...No hate. Just no love. No offense. Just hush. lol

Torturous tangents make me lose sleep.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I wonder what if too, but sometimes I don't know if its for the right reasons.

I wonder more specifically if I had made a different choice about where to spend the last 3 nearly 4 years.

I do however marvel at the luxury of even wondering about the possibilities.

Jameil said...

Maybe you would've made the RIGHT choice about hampton!! but at least you dodged that bison bullet! your dad was a chef!?!? so jelly!!!

Adei von K said...

That's a freaking awesome concept to ponder. similar story, here. My dad remembers the severe racism of the lates 60's in Boston.

wait, or was that the 80's? Boston needs to get it together

Anonymous said...

Its weird how it just all falls into place. Without each and every little event, some how you would have been changed. You might even have been you.

Jonzee said...

What's up with the NYU crack, though, son? Don't be mad cause the Cosby Kids went their and made it every Dutchess County and South kids dream school...lol.

But for real. I often wonder what would have happen if my great grandmother let my Moms go to College Park like she wanted to. I know one thing. My daddy's name would have been Walter.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Cnelly...the college one is a biggie. Thats natural esp since you're almost done. But more interestingly, what about if you didnt grow up on a path to ANY college...

Jameil...We can only thank the intervention of the good Lord above that I didnt end up at any HU. And yes, Daddy was a chef...but how bout he used to make me Vienna sausages for lunch after halfday kindergarten but he wouldnt wash them off. Ewwwww! Cook me something Daddy!! :)

Stace...Boston's by far the best of the WORST.

Epsi...Exactly. Like, what if my dad had quit the job before meeting my mom? I might have had some herb ass govmtn employee ngga for a daddy instead. lol


Jonzee...No offense. I hate my alma mater too. lol

Little Brown Girl said...

LMAO @ Trinis!!!! That really is an interesting series of thoughts though...one small detail changed and your entire existence could have been completely different. Ok you got me thinking LOL!!

nikki said...

i definitely wonder about that alot cuz my fam and i were supposed to move to toronto and then my dad died and plans changed. i would not have been cute with that accent.

lmao@trinis. i won't tell my relatives they're bougie...i think they already know unfortunately.

Jameil said...

stop hatin on HU!!! dad!! not the viennas!! lmao!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a love story!

Yeah I often wonder about things like that. But being that I'm (generally) satisfied with my life and thankful for my upbringing, I'm glad things worked out the way they did.

the joy said...

i am a wonderer. i often wonder what it would be like if i hadnt decided to get into another relationship... then i get depressed at how wack my life would be right now.

thats a great story. better than my parents'. and it has all those cliffhangers that give way to those what-ifs.

Mr.Slish said...

Hmmmm If your mother had stayed in Jamaica yo daddy probably would have been Jimmy Cliff or wait wait Bunny Wailer!...lol

Like the story..Thats right I'm still creeping around the blogsphere...Just a check pon yuh..

TTD said...

lol @ shuddering @ the thought of being a bison! haha. you are def a BEAR!

So...Wise...Sista said...

RD...You live in DC so I KNOW you know some off the hook Trinis. lol Gotta love em! Dont think too hard tho...Wondering is for recreational purposes only. ;)


Nikki...That's craaaaaazy. That's a TOTALLY different existence. But the accent would fit you, I'm sure.
And ps...Your relatives are well aware! lol


Jameil...Viennas, son. hahaha
And I told you, I'm an equal opp higher ed hater. Suck it up!


BGood...At the end of the day, no matter what kind of shit you've been thru, and thank God my life's been pretty blessed thus far...of course you wonder, but it all makes you who you are.


Joy says..."then i get depressed at how wack my life would be right now."

Wow...that IS taking wondering to the next level. lol


Uncle Slishy...jessaschrise, yuh nuh fi duh mi so! Bunny Wailer, yo? hahahahaha


TTD...right?!

LoveMyselfFirst said...

i often think about what life would have been like if certain decisions had been different.. but i guess that's just the way the journey goes.. you take the cards you are dealt with and go with the decisions that have been made.

interesting story

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers