Monday, April 18, 2011

Hotmail: The Uncool Grandma?

I've had the same primary email address since '98. I chose wisely the first time around and it suits me well.

So when the third person in the last month asked me, "You still have Hotmail?" I responded, "Oh yeah. It doesn't pay your student loans, earn airline miles and get you into exclusive clubs like Gmail, but it still sends/receives pretty well."

The end.

It is also to be noted that I've had the same cell phone number, Sprint account and voice message* since '99. My parents lived in the same house my whole life and never changed their phone number. You could say I'm adverse to change.

Or you could prefer to be correct and say I don't fix shit that's not, as they say, the hell broke. Sure, there are valid situations that require a mass email (that your pesky stalker will still be unintentionally fwd'd), announcing a new phone number. And yes, even I have lived in several different cribs and in different cities even.

But this whole idea that I'm not supposed to still be on Hotmail has me stumped.

It's not like MySpace (which I was never on), where the participation of others is kinda integral to the entire point of the damn thing.

And I can see how say, a tumblr might fit your needs better than blogger.

But again, sending and receiving a bunch of glitter-ass-make-a-wish-care-bear-and-pray-for-the-dying-child-who-fell-for-this-cruel-and-widespread-dangerous-new-dark-parking-lot-assault-Nigerian-scam isn't exactly that exotic.

If I could get a MyFirstName.MyLastName@gmail.com addy then sure, that makes perfect sense. But my gov't name is Caucasian common enough that it's unavailable, prolly snatched up on day one like size 10s at Nine West. Plus my first inclination for an email addy back in '98 wasn't putitinyomouth1977@hotmail, so I'm good with what I got.

So I'm asking genuinely...What's the big deal? Are Hotmail and Yahoo the 8-track of the innanet?? And does Gmail really have more to offer like free strippers and Lotto scratch-offs or is it just some ole technological Jonesery?

PS...I have a gmail account I use to sign into Google Docs so I already know the answer.

*I think the original msg got lost when I got this new phone last month but I'm too bereft to confirm.

7 comments:

. said...

As a gmail snob you got me. I really do act as though it pays off student loans.
lol :)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
So...Wise...Sista said...

But like, why? What's the basis of said snobbery? I'm genuinely curious.

Nexgrl said...

I still have my yahoo account that I've had since 1997. I also have a gmail account, but that's for the stuff I don't want sent to yahoo. I also have the gmail stuff sent to my bb, but not yahoo.

I've had the same cell# since 1998. I would've had the same cell# since 1994, but when I moved to College Park, GA, they didn't have Cellular One. Yes, I've had a cell that long.

My parents were married for 40+ years, lived in the same house my whole life and kept the same telephone number.

So...Wise...Sista said...

An "Email Intervention"?? Get over yourself Google:

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/save-your-friends-from-outdated.html

Customer Care Phone Number said...

I am impressed your blog because your blog words is very impressiveness for business growths so thanks a lot for sharing this Information.

customer care contact number said...

thanks for good and useful information. It was really a very informative post.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers