Tuesday, February 05, 2008

SUPER STAR

It's like MJ is in town. Sold out concert. Last one ever.

You KNOW you should go.

But it's on the wrong side of town.

And the scalpers are ridiculous. You'd literally be spending your last dime.

But it's MJ, and you had a curl and glitter glove in '84.

And everywhere you go, everyone's talking about it. The excitement is intoxicating. Contagious.

But, despite the promise you're not so sure how he'll pull it off. He's never played this venue, and every night on the news you hear how rundown the joint is.

Do you go?

Or do you stay your ass at home, not risk getting shot, and pay your rent on time, instead?

That's how I feel about Rockamama, as my nephew calls him.

He's an absolute rock star. His momentum in the last week alone has been nothing short of spectacular. It's impossible not to get caught up.

Truth is, as I look at the issues for which both he and HC stand...I'm in agreement with the NY Times endorsement of HC. In my estimation, 'Mama presents bullet points of the issues. HC presents a detailed outline. In health care, for example, they both pretty much are offering a model of the types of plans available to members of Congress. Difference is tho, HC spells out how it will be funded, who will be eligible. Too often I'm seeing that 'Mama just spills on about how reprehensible it is for us not to all be covered and how we need to change.

But taking nothing away from the man, I'm probably on my way to the concert.

We have an opportunity that may never happen again in our lifetime...to try something new. Even if it doesn't work, if he fails miserably, if he lying like the rest of 'em, we'll know not to do that shit again.

But maybe it's worth a shot.

Might be the last one ever.

[But why I think if he wins the Dem nomination, 1 vote for Bara.ck is like 100 votes for whoever (white) is his opponent? *sigh*]

PPS...Does the news count as reality TV? Cuz I been all over this shit for weeks!

13 comments:

Adei von K said...

rocky!

yeah... i wouldn't go UNLESS its MJ himself.

Rocky! Go O!

Quarter Life Crisis of a Black Woman said...

This decision is like deciding which child to save. I've been a HC supporter since day 1 but we may never have another credible candidate from our community. so what do we do as young black professionals? Do we vote for HC? or do we Barrack the vote? Or do we wait on the next black messiah?

PS- this is almost as good as reality tv! They just need better writers. But the little jabs we get every now & then in a debate are priceless.

1969 said...

All I have to say is that the disease that is affecting our community is Bytchassness. There is no room for bytchassness at Bad Boy. Vote or Die.

Jonzee said...

I'm voting for Barack. I understand that he has not been as detailed. Ms. HC (who I have briefly had engagement with) is one of the smartest people I ever met. There is no doubt that she is thorough as hell. But see, there is this whole relationship building thing that has to happen, and HC tends to not do that so well. I will not call her "the Ice Princess" as my legislative hill living friend would, but I will say, at this point, division is annoying, its old school, and Im tired.

This is the first time I have put my money where my mouth is--the man's campaign is now apart of my bi-weekly check writing.

Gotdammit, I'm a dreamer and I'm believing!

YES WE CAN!

Anonymous said...

LOL@ 69! When I saw Diddy say that shyt on MTB4 I was like "dis nig here!" LOL! He irritates me to no end!

Wise, I'm with you. I am caught up in this shyt too even though I said that I wouldn't be but it's contagious and I just can't help it. Whether he wins or not, WE are officially part of history and that is ok with me!

Jameil said...

i don't like endorsements. newspaper, celeb or otherwise. stay in your little realm. no one cares what you think. you! write articles about what's happening. you! act. you! sing. i don't want to hear what you think. career politicians haven't done our country so well. look where bush has us now. WE WANT CHANGE WE WANT CHANGE!! ROCKY FOR PREZ!!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Stace...Well I guess you have spoken!

Quarter...Damn writers strike! lol
PS...Did you see Shane get played by the blond lesbo-duo??!

1969 says..."All I have to say is that the disease that is affecting our community is Bytchassness"

Take that! Take that! And yet none of the candidates have addressed this issue. I'm appalled!!

Jonzee...That's what's so fascinating about this thing. This man got people donating MONEY! (he's received $6Mil online in the last 2 DAYS since Sup Tues!) The way he's galvanized esp young voters is amazing and Id hate to see that momentum die.


Durt...I fell on the damn floor. He's the biggest bitchass EVER! I think I would feel sick if he came this far and didnt pull it out. I feel so bipolar! lol

Jameil...I make an exception for newspaper endorsements (usually just the big 2). They're usually pretty predictable, but the fact that they cover the candidates so closely and understand the policies, etc., it's typically a good summation of what's going on. I dont know if it's the career part of the politicians that's the problem, so much as the way of doing politics. BO def is refreshing in that respect. But he has an entire political structure within which he must operate. I sure hope it works!

Amadeo said...

I usually vote against people...if I vote for I vote for their vibe. My innate distrust of politicians and past events let's me know that no detailed plan given before taking an office means anything.

The first bush said no new taxes and look how that turned out.


In the end though....I'm tired of people who have been around. No more baby boomers in office...they already messing up my social security.

Plus, when you look at their length of time in elected service and what they actually did. He has more experience than her.

Finally, I'm tired of having the same people around. Didn't like it from big bush to lil' bush and I don't want it from Bill to Hill.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. It feels like something is in the air. Well, I guess history is that something. I need to go get something nostalgic...

Anonymous said...

I've been supporting the Obama Campaign since day one. I admirer the Clinton's and I am sure Hillary will do a good job to. I just want a change like everyone else. I just have a feeling either way it goes both of them will be in office.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I had a long comment...
I lost it.

I'm voting for Rockamama I think. No, no, no...I am. I think.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but she has shown herself to be inconsistent, unreliable and unbelieveable...she endorsed the Iraq war for goodness' sake! She is definitely not credible...in my books but then my books are not American..lol..

You folks want Condi Rice! She has now gathered tons of experience worldwide, as well as credibility...albeit for the wrong reasons and she has hair on her teeth!

Anonymous said...

I am voting Obama. When Hill speaks, I get a feeling that I can't trust her.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers