Sunday, July 13, 2008

JULY 14

My mother was born the second oldest of 10 children in Spur*Tree, a small bush town in the parish of Manchester in Jamaica, West Indies. The oldest daughter.

This is an important fact, because by virtue of birth order, my mother inherited a litter of children at a young age when her own mother died a painful death. Cancer. My mother doesn’t speak of her mother very often, so the one time she told me details I listened with an intensity that rivaled only the directions given as child to avoid an ass whupping.

“My mother had 10 children. One didn’t make it. Not long after your Uncle Gilly was born my modda [because shortly after delving into her mind’s museum, the Patois accent appears, heavy, and I feel almost like an intruder] get cancer. Ovarian. She wasn’t a small woman but I’ll never forget how she blew up, so swollen, she musta been bout 200 pound.

“She was laying in her bed in pain and all the children were outside around the house bawling. All you could hear was bawling, and my father singing. He could sing! That man had a voice, boy! I was outside hanging clothes and my father called me and said that my mother wanted to see me. I walk in the room and all I could say was I could feel death coming close. And my mother just looked at me, and said....”

I wish I could remember what my grandmother had told my mother. I’ve blocked it out. I remember it being grave and curt. Not the kind of frilly, heartwarming last words you’d see in a Lifetime movie (so this is how you know I’m getting old right…all of a sudden Lifetime is my SHIT!)

I guess subconsciously I cannot bear to curate those last words. Partly because of the pain so visible in my mother’s voice and face as she recalled it to me. Partly out of fear that remembering might somehow summon a similar scene between me and my mom. That it might speed up the slowdown. Or something.

So my mother was a mother long before she was a mother. Actually I take that back, because my oldest sister is really not that much younger than my Uncle Gilly. My mother, his oldest sister, is the only mother he’s ever really known.

Some years later her beloved father also died. The kids were pretty much grown by then, save for the two littlest, and my mother had had two more of her own. And soon after laying her father to rest she made the decision to leave her children in the care of her closest sister. She moved to Washington, DC, in a immigrant worker program which imported many young West Indians to this country to work as domestics.

As fate would have it, this is where my mother met my father, and where the context of my conception begins.

My mother never passed on to me the issues that so many of my friends have inherited from their mothers. That’s not to say we don’t have our issues. That’s not to say that my mom’s not as crazy as every mother is biologically and psychologically destined. Instead there is a healthy distance, a respectful boundary that she’s established. It doesn’t really exist between her and my older sister. I’m guessing because my sister was born in Jamaica and knows that life. The life, and subsequently the history, from which I’ve always been sheltered.

I imagine that there are things my mother has repressed. Actually, I can’t imagine. The dim echoes of her scant recollections of life with her own mother are haunting. I probably won’t ever ask her about it until she is nearing the end. If God willing we are granted that type of ending. When it wont matter any more, those recollections. When she’ll soon have to face her mother herself.

In the meantime I call her every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, after Wheel of For*tune. Sometimes on my lunch break so I can hear her fussing with my nephews. Or to hear what she’s cooking for everyone. Or to let her vent about her latest shenanigans down at the grocery store. (shout out to Weg*man’s!) To respectfully tune her out when she makes a dead dad reference without warning. To smile wide at every overwhelming ounce of support, every reminder to pray, to stay safe, and to remember that "Mommy loves [me] much, much, much."

In the meantime, I wish my Mom a Happy Birthday, and many moooooooore!

11 comments:

nikki said...

i admire your mom, not just for the phoenix she is but because she created the talented, emotionally honest sista in you. whatever she did, she did right.

happy birthday to your momz...and many more for her :)

Jameil said...

happy happy wise momma!!

GreatWhyte said...

A mother's love... there's nothing in the world like it.
Happy birthday Momma Wise!!!!!!

Nexgrl said...

This is a beautiful dedication to your mom. Your mom and I are the same sign.

Amadeo said...

Ah Ha, quite poetic. On my mothers birthday I just called to remind her that as her only child she should be getting me a 50" flat screen. On my birthday (30)...I will remind her that she is getting old...it's not me.

the joy said...

Aw! Go mama wise! Is she officially back in the home country? Its strange to think that a person who you've known all your life had a life before you, huh? I always sing "and many mooore" too when I say "happy birthday, lol.

Jonzee said...

Over the years, I have relied more or less, on the information my father has managed to glean from other relatives about my mother's mother.

There was only one time...the day my mother decided to stop being so angry about her past, that she actually shared.

As the oldest, that was the moment I decided to let go of any resentment my mother's sometimes seething quiteness and smoldering anger brought on. Overall, I could not have asked for better but that anger sometimes shut her down to the rest of the fam.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Nikki...Awwwwwwww! :)

Jam...Dont you got shoes to pack or something. ;)

X...I (absolutely can and will) cant WAIT to take A Mother's Love t o the next (absurdly ridiculous) level. :)

Nex...Hey Cancer!! I'm kinda pissed at all the "Ceners get in free" parties happening right now.

Amadeo...hahahahaha! Something tells me your mom won't go for that...but in reverse, I def feel old as my mom gets old. lol

Joy says..."I always sing "and many mooore" too when I say "happy birthday, lol."

That's because you're fanTAStic! And no, Mom's not gone yet. She still in NY. (thank GOD)

Jonzee says..."that anger sometimes shut her down to the rest of the fam."

I never even considered that this. Damn.

Adei von K said...

i'm late!

Happy belated, Modda!

Anonymous said...

*sigh* How beautiful was this!!!

Happy Birthday Momma Wise..

Cancers Rule!!!

Radmila said...

This post resonates with me.
Maybe it's because I'm from a culture where everything is on a "need to know" basis, and our family history is kept like some sort of KGB microfilm.
All the history I've learned about my family has been torn out of surviving family members who told me just to shut me up and stop my irritating barrage of questions.
It's important, I think...important to know...especially for the children of immigrants because God knows that being the leg of a family that is in another place, it's easily lost.

I am one of 3 in this country of this generation....the only one who remembers what it's like to be "back home" and the people that are there. After our generation, it's over...that connection.
However unimportant it may seem...it will be important to your children through the stories and history you'll be able to tell.

I've been lucky enough to have been persistent enough to find out a few things, and share them with my cousins who had no idea...believe it or not, knowing these stories has enabled me to not feel so "disconnected" as we are apt to feel as children of immigrants.
Foreign there...and to a certain extent foreign here.
If that makes any sense at all...sorry for such a long comment. But, your mother and grandmother reminded me of my own.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers