Thursday, July 03, 2008

CONVENTIONAL INDEPENDENCE

Independ*nce Day…a time to declare freedom from whatever bullshit you got going on in your life.

I hereby declare Independence from conventions. No, not the cleverly marketed annual gatherings of likeminded professionals… though I’m bout sick of them shits impeding on my time to enjoy the host citieswith these essential ass workshops…I mean, the things that are universally accepted, and expected, without reason or provocation.

I’m standing in the conventional meeting place, where many a family meeting and announcement has gone down…the kitchen. I’m standing amidst the conventional gathering of generations…my mom and her sister run behind my nephews, while my sister in law mans the stove and I sit, drink in hand, in the center of it all.

“Wise, you’re a waste of a vagina.”

Based on the lead-in, I’m actually in fact, a waste of a womb. My vagina functions at an optimal level, thank you very much. I’d rank it up there with the best of ‘em. That’s not the point. Fine.

My sister in law, who declared my womanparts DOA, has two fantastic children. The oldest is my favorite, and the baby is pretty much the embodiment of what I’m sure my biological child would be. And therefore, though he’s beautiful and hilarious, he’s also absolutely and inexplicable insane. Unabashedly out of control. And I love it. For THEM.

I, on the other hand have absolutely no attachment nor desire to be knocked up. None. The irony, I suppose, or perhaps the logic is that I want 4 or 5 kids. My family finds this hilarious. Partly because they know personally how psycho you get when you have kids, but I think partly because, bless their conventional old school hearts, they still don’t see how I could have kids without the belly.

So I’m a waste of a uterus, fine. I can accept that, though I’d argue the uterus is the waste, not me. Either or. But it’s the conventional labels I can’t co-sign. I’m much too contradictory for them.

Because I’m probably the only girl in the world who (on most days) doesn’t want a ring (or wedding for that matter).

Because you will never see my black ass eating a watermelon, neither publicly nor in the privacy of my own home (did you ever see the episode of the Jeff*rsons where George said he refuses to carry a watermelon in public. So if you ever see him with a bowling bag that’s what’s inside?!!)

Because I’m a backpacker who thinks Tal*b is mediocre.

Because I’m an African American alcoholic who hates Hennessey.

So… *cue balloons and confetti and band*…conventions be damned!

I’s free now!!

From what, or whom will YOU claim independence?
Happy 4th!

14 comments:

Jameil said...

PITTSBURGH!!!!!!!!!!

Nexgrl said...

You must have been reading my mind. I attended a convention last weekend and I really and truly didn't fit in.

Anonymous said...

Now that I am a permanent resident of the same city you are in, you better PEN me into your schedule!! We must link up sometime.

I am claiming independence from the expectations that are upon me for teaching at a school I am an alum of.

the joy said...

I'm claiming independencde from being only financial enough to pay my bills; this chick is having some fun this summer damn it.

Sherlon Christie said...

I'm claiming independence from being the guy everyone expects to on point all the time. Can I have some margin of error?

Anonymous said...

LOL! Love this post!

You crack me up!

Amadeo said...

"My vagina functions at an optimal level"

Dead

I'm declaring independence from laws regarding assault if another waitress looks at me like a retard cause she's not familiar with a drink that's been around since WW1!!

Jonzee said...

I'm not telling you or La again...get out of my head...

I want the brady bunch...but I don't like infants. But I love them after two when their personalities have already been formed.

And speaking Hen-rock...my girl went on a date with a dude who guess what? Lives with his mama, smokes weed, and only drinks Hen or Hypnotic. Talk about stereotypes!

Word...out of my head. Now! right now!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jam...Yesssssss!

Nex...Sounds like a story I need to hear. lol

Epsi...Stop acting like you dont know I'm gonna bring you a housewarming gift. :) And you cant shed those expectations. That's why they hired you.

Joy...I DEF cosign fun, under all circumstances!

SPC...Hey baby. No Margin of Error guy usually brings it on himself...but really, that haters just cant wait to see you stumble. Soldier up and absorb the hate. ;)

Durt...I'm aiight. ;)

Amadeo...just stating facts, sir. lol
WWI, even. hahaha

Jonzee says..."I want the brady bunch...but I don't like infants."
EXACTLY!! OMG our kids are SO gonna grow up and be friends. lol

*blank stare at your friend who went on this crack ass date*

And you stay outta MY head. I'm working on something about my latest church going shenanigans.

Adei von K said...

tal*b is mediocre. i noticed it on the solo joints. blackstar tricked a lot of people...

you and la are the only chicks i know who REFUSE to do what women across the world have been doing: have babies.

and that's okay cause some watermelon, henny drinking hoodrat had enough for all of us

So...Wise...Sista said...

Stace...I used to be OBSESSED with him. One time I wrote a character that was loosely based on him. But now the inflection of his deliver bugs the shit outta me. lol

And La & I just dont think that 9 months before your delicate woman flower splits wide open and you're legally bound to this new crumbsnatcher for 18 years is the time to be sober (and fat). *shrug*

Mr.Slish said...

I'm with you Talib is mediocre....lol

GreatWhyte said...

I am declaring my independence from dumb fuck tattoo atists who think that a comma should be placed at the end of "Who am I to be brilliant, talented, gogeous, fabulous" instead of a question mark. And by dumb fuck, I mean SPONGE BOB MOTHER FUCKING SQUARE PANTS!!!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Slish...I feel so free having finally said it publicly. lol

X...Oh shit.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers