Monday, April 16, 2007

Airport Guy: A Romantic Comedy

I’m usually the girl hustling thru security, hitching a ride on the little scooter. Friday morning I arrived at BWI on time, in fact, with plenty of time to spare.

As I approached the departure gate, I noticed that my boarding pass said something to the effect of “THIS IS NOT A BOARDING PASS. PLEASE RETRIEVE PASS FROM GATE.” That’s a new one. I went to inquire and apparently the flight was overbooked. No biggie. I’m not late, nor am I on standby.

Right?

“Is anyone interested in volunteering to step off this flight (9:30am) in exchange for a travel voucher worth the price of your one-way fare plus $200?”

I pondered it. Even called my ride to ask if it was cool.

They asked several more times before it was my turn in line to settle up my boarding pass issue.

“Ms. Wise, we are currently overbooked. This means that you do not have a boarding pass …”

Priority standby is what they called it. The next flight is at 12:30.

I signed my paperwork and go grab some breakfast. When I arrived at the new gate I sat where I could hear the employees working. It was a shift change and the new chick was mad bitchy. Talking about passengers after they left.

Within a few minutes of me arriving a man went up asking if they needed volunteers.

“Yeah, but we’re overbooked all day so we can’t even confirm you on another flight today…or tomorrow.”

I overhear this spiel many times over the next hour or so, and it’s oddly unaggressive compared to the feverish sales pitch of the last flight. What seemed before like a routine bump now was looking like something else.

“Looks like this flight is overbooked too, huh?”

I looked up at the smiling stranger. I recognized him from the earlier flight. He was also contemplating taking the voucher just like me. I overheard him calling his ride, just like me. He was asking mad questions of the staff, and I remembered thinking he seemed so antsy, so anxious.

“It is, but there have been quite a few people offering up their seats,” I replied.

“Well they better start bumping dudes off this one like they did on ours!”

That was the first of many laughs in a very short space of time. Before I know it, this stranger and I were old friends with a list of inside jokes.

“I’m Darryl, by the way.”

“I’m Wise.”

“I’ll definitely remember that, if not because you’re a beautiful young lady, then because that’s also my sister’s name.”

“Ahhh, your sister must be fantastic.”

Darryl approaches the gate on behalf of both of us. I appreciated his initiative ad his kindness. He comes back looking amused.

“They don’t know what the hell they doing, but you’re #1 on the standby list and I’m #2, and there are still six people who haven’t checked in yet.”

Naturally we start cracking on the other folks at the gate. Dude with the bad hip who missed his flight yesterday and thinks he’s getting on this next flight. Granola chick with the dirty kids.

“There’s only so much longer I can sit and listen to my !pod. They need to wrap this thing up.” And with that he whips it out and impresses me with the depths of his musical tastes.

“What you know about !NXS?” he asked rhetorically.

“Wow! The “Kick” album?” He stopped and looked at me for a delayed moment, before breaking out into a smile.

“Not to scare you or anything, but I just fell in love with you a tiny bit,” he said, measuring it out with his fingers. “I’m impressed, Wise.”

“Me too. You’re the one who actually has the album. That's a throwback to like, 5th grade.”

So I pull out mine, and we have an !pod battle. We share another intimate musical moment when we both shout out Hall & Oates at the same time.

By now the flight is boarding and there are still people missing. But they’re not offering any vouchers, not asking for any volunteers. WTF?? Ok, no problem, because the flight closes ten minutes before the scheduled departure time, in which case those empty seats are offered to the standby list.

Right?

“Attention all passengers on Flight 1234 to Shitsville. It is now ten minutes to the departure time and if you are not checked in, your seats will be given away.”

They repeat this three times. By now, it’s 5 minutes to take off time. Why are me and Darryl still not on the damn plane?

Three minutes. Someone runs up. Let on.

It’s now the time of departure and they are still allowing muhfcukas on the plane! Now, I’ve been known to miss a flight or two…and I have been denied access for arriving at LEAST 15 minutes before the departure time. More than twice.

Then why in the hell did they let a wheelchair roll up three minutes AFTER departure time and get on, while me, Darryl and a bunch of other standby schmucks sit and watch??

“The next flight is in an hour and a half. Wanna go to the bar?” And with that offer I fall in love with Darryl a tiny bit.

Two rum and cokes later we learn that we know some of the same people, have both been to Vegas in the past month, and that our 30th birthdays were four days apart. A fellow alcoholic Aries.

He’s cool. No outward pretensions. Genuinely respectful and decent. Funny as shit. A party guy without being an idiot. A secure professional on a weekend trip home to visit his mama.

We end up being screwed on the next flight as well, and he supported me wholeheartedly as I let the supervisor HAVE IT. He didn’t try to placate me in front of them as a display of “decorum” (I fcuking HATE when dudes do that docile shit, especially when it’s something to legitimately be pissed about. Don’t play that, ‘Everything is ok, sir. I’m not an angry Negro like my girlfriend here’ bullshit!) He just sat and smiled.

He lives in the absolute opposite direction yet he offered me a ride home. Made sure I’m straight before heading for his car.

When I put my number in his phone at his request, I labeled it 'BWI Wise'. As I’m sitting on the train back home he texts me…

“If we turn back we can still make a flight to Vegas.”

If this was a movie he’d have been Hugh.Grant or Tom.Cruise and he'd have had me at ‘standby.’

But it’s real life…MY real life, so of course there’s no fairytale ending.

I am not physically attracted to him in the least. At all. Not even a little.

*sigh*

Nonetheless, I fall a tiny bit in love with the notion that there are Darryls out there. Nice guys with funny jokes and good conversation.

Guys who don’t flip out in public, but who will have your back if you do. Guys who go out of their way to be kind.

But would it have been so difficult for him to be a tiny bit cute?!

My life blows.

26 comments:

Jameil said...

you should have heard my response when you said you weren't at all attracted. damn. not even a teeny bit??? how depressing. i mean what the fluck. i can't believe you were that open with a non-attractive stranger. to me, that says volumes about you. i can be a bit stank and uber bitchy and am not terribly good with strangers... unless they're attractive. i know... i'm horrid.

Miz JJ said...

Lol. He may not be right for you, but maybe for someone else.

Southerner in Suomi said...

Oh don't think your life blows, just think it was fun while it lasted.
I once was stuck in New Orleans International (MSY) for four extra hours with no one to talk to.

And I don't know if you know this or not, but MSY can get pretty musty. Maybe it's the humidity, I don't know. But then had to go get drunk in the smokiest bar in the world.

To top it all off, I was on my way to Newark, New Jersey. *smh*

Anonymous said...

hey like you said he at least gave you hope ... but i know the feelin ... that one guy that you just wish you could be attracted too ... but just keepin it real you know it could never happen ... even if you closed your eyes and pretended the whole way through ... i feel ya i do ... you had me laughin though!

Anonymous said...

As much as I bitch about being single. I know why I'm single cause I'm picky. My mother likes to say it's not about the looks. I'm going to need you to be marginally cute, and by marginally I mean your cuteness needs to fit all up and in between the margins. That is all.
P.S. Damn, upon further reflection where can I find some cute strangers?

La said...

LMAO! LMAAAAAAAOOOOOOO!!! I am cracking up. Dammit if that don't suck, lol.


If it makes you feel any better I was stuck in the airport in Denver for 6 hrs on my way back from Vegas and it is the LEAST ENTERTAINING AIRPORT OF ALL TIME. Seriously.
And no good convo with anyone.
*sigh*

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...not even a crumbs worth of attraction. LOL@ you reserving your good manners for cute folk.

MizJJ...Someone would be lucky to have him! lol That shit has been happening to me quite often lately...great guys that Im not attracted to trying to get wit it. :(

VDiz...NO to Newark. Yeah that does suck. I feel a lil better. lol

AI...my life is nothing if not comedic value for the masses. :)

CNelly...you and me both. I dont know if picky is the word for me, but convention things tend not to arouse me.

PS Im really mad you said..."our cuteness needs to fit all up and in between the margins."


LA...6 hours ANYWHERE is hellish, much less Denver (shout out to Sunshine mama, wherever you are!). I think all airports shoudlhave slot machines like vegas. lol

Amadeo said...

Damn...that is some movie type of incident. Funny thing is I have those moments and leave without getting the digits when they are attracted to me. Sometimes I have overly nice guy issues and don't realize I'm being flirted with. This from a person who flirts unconciously sometimes.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo...your type is the most frustrating. Guy Who You Think Is Cool But Walks Away Like It's All In A Day's Work. What is that?? :)

Mr.Slish said...

Lol..That was a good one..lol..Thought you were finally going to get your tiities out the sand...lol...Darrly was fugly..lmaof.

Funny thing is guys like Darryl always end up with the girl in the end.

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

WOW I loved reading that!!! I didn't want it to end.I want you to turn around!!..well you never know what could happen, was he that bad??..maybe he just looked bad in the airport lighting??

Anonymous said...

great blog!

re: attraction & nice guys - i guess there's some practicality to how south asians do it with arranged marriages - hang until the love kicks in! :)

Anonymous said...

my cynical ass fell a "tiny bit in love" with this sleepless in seattle-ish story... ugh! thanks alot wise.

in the last 4 months i have had a total of 7 stand-by stories of my own. when did flying becaome such a damn hassle. i use to love to fly...get there faster and whatnot... now it's faster for me to drive to Cal from NYC!

bloopty!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Slishy...tits still firmly submerged. lol Thing of it is...I never said he was FUGLY, I just said I wasnt attracted at all. I knew yall was gonna be mean! lol But I know he will win in the end...just not with me. :(

GG...Thanks. Airport light, track lights, moonlight...wouldnt make a difference. lol

Hey Bro...I am currently obsessed with arranged marriages after reading the book The N@mesake (which is also currently in theaters, but the book was AMAZING). I was telling my Indian friend the other day that I would want to arrange my kids' marriages...but to leave that up to MY parents...not so much. lol

Blah. I had your cynical azz at 'standby'? Niiiiice! You been on the move, girlie. Yo, your blog is better than ever. I need to see what you up to today.;)

Jameil said...

she said " Airport light, track lights, moonlight"!!!!!!!!! HUHLARIOUS!!! i'm going to shrink your blog and carry it with me (why i need a blackberry)

Amadeo said...

I was going to say I'm working on it, but I did it this morning with a girl that used to intern for us.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...I'm just sayin. I wish this was the theater and all that was needed was a few bulbs.lol Hold off on the crackberry. They just had major connection meltdown.

Amadeo...Well now that's bec you had White House Intern Reflexes. You dont wanna go there. lol

TTD said...

lmao @ "but would it have been so difficult for him to be a tiny bit cute?!"

he sounds like a cool dude.. somebody that u could def be friends w/

Anonymous said...

Never in the history was I expecting that little story to end that way. Maybe you two can be friends.

La said...

Aiight, I'm aware that this makes me a bitch but I'm cool with that...

I def just had a loooong day, and came here and reread this and it made me laugh allllll over again.

What do you want me to do, I'm sorry! lol

love ya! :-)

Moose said...

interesting... life happens!
nice read.

So...Wise...Sista said...

TTD...He's really cool and all, but do dudes really wanna be friends with girls they're trying to git wit?

Eps...you were expecting a long kiss at baggage claim?Sorry buddy.

LA...I exist to provide laughs for you and yours. Sorry sucka!

Hey Moosey! :)

Sha Boogie said...

Ahhhh yes, the old ' nice, unattractive guy'. Gets us everytime! Is it so wrong for funny, nice AND attractive to be a combo?? I digress....

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

"but do dudes really wanna be friends with girls they're trying to git wit?"

I think so. there are tons of women im friends with that im not interested in sleeping with......

Discombobulated Diva said...

sorry it work out that way... but it does give hope that there are Darryls out there... its just a matter of finding them... but at least you met a nice guy within all the hassle of being in the airport all day...

~DD

1969 said...

He may have it going on in other areas....LOL

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers