Thursday, April 03, 2008

THE GIFT


"Wise, write me something."

Ok...


The thing about birthdays is that they're all about the gifts.

There was the time you told me to keep my schedule clear. You sent me a text that morning with explicit instructions...

"Here are the directions. Be there at 12. I know you. Don't be late! Text me when you get there."

I find myself downtown, my heels clicking on cobblestone, the high noon sun guiding my steps. Even standing under the awning I wasnt sure what to expect.

"Go in and ask for Lisa. She's waiting for you. Take some time and relax and allow someone to pamper you for once."

...Or something to that effect (you know you're recall is laser and mine is aging.) After the most rejuvenating, fantastic facial ever, I walked around for a bit before calling to thank you. It was literally months since I had made the off comment about my skin feeling like shit. You listen. It was easily the most thoughtful gift I had ever received.

What about last week, when I was too weak to lift my head for juice and meds, but not too weak to text you. Sick, jet lagged, chest on fire, hung over. You used your resources and found the one place that delivered to my crib and had lunch sent over within the hour.

Or the time I had a long, stressful week. Long, hectic Friday. Long, turbulent flight. We sat at the bar staring down shots #2. Your hand playfully resting on my thigh. Like it belonged there. Sharing food and laughter. And afterward, exhausted, collapsing on fluffy sheets, legs and lips locked, anticipating a shower.

"Me first." I watched you disappear, disappointed that you left me out. Drifted off while you were away. Nudged awake by anxious hands in my hair.

"Take off your clothes."

How off guard was I, naked and surprised, at the soft crackle of the carefully lined and lit candles that accented the warm bathroom? The bubble bath with water that matched me perfectly, not too hot, not too cold. Or maybe too much of each equally. You left me with a card to read, and to relax, knowing that I hadnt all week.

After all, I knew then...

I knew that every day would seem like my birthday.

It's the little things...

Every day that I wake up laughing at a sweet or frisky or ridiculous or blue or encouraging message.

Going to bed frustrated that I can't be closer.

Busting out laughing at how much we bust out laughing.

Our sweat dripping onto a dance floor.

When I called you first, crying with bad news.

Exploring a new city.

When I lose track of time (and ask you how many days).

Laying in your lap showing you how to twist my hair.

Dancing all hard, and singing all loud, even though you're the Talented One.

Pouring you a drink that I know will get you talking.

Making each other CDs.

When you let me pass out in a cab.

Eating til we're out of breath (not to be confused with being out of breath after running to food).

Each hour you keep me company while I'm in class.

Plotting on travel vouchers.

Every time you ask me to write you something...I know the best gift is you.



(Hmmm...is it YOUR bday yet?!)

14 comments:

Adei von K said...

niiiiiiice!!

"to love, to be loved, oh what a feeling!"
"shut-up!"

no but for real, that 'everytime you meet is your birthday' type feeling is
what's.up.

Jonzee said...

That was sooooo beautiful.

You got me with tears in my eyes at my desk and shit.

Jameil said...

oooooooooooh. this label needs to be wise-sprung. love it!

Amadeo said...

I will not use "cute type" descriptions...I will say dude is on his A. game.

Which makes things better for all dudes.

CNEL said...

So you're always late to stuff LoL, but I bet you're right on time for him.

This was nice.

the joy said...

"love....exciting and new...." had to do it, lol.

I'm really happy for you.

Lmao @Jameil: wise sprung.

Anonymous said...

You inspire me. Isn't love grand!!!

Awww... Wise GOT IT BAD!!!

Anonymous said...

I want this ... share pleeease... love it lady!

Anonymous said...

Someone is sprung!!

Anonymous said...

I think that is sweet. It is the little things that mean so much. I used to have that feeling with my last boyfriend.

Anonymous said...

I believe it was "Now you don't have to chose between going to the bar and getting a facial. Relax and let someone pamper you for once."

1969 said...

Your man is clearly handling his. Isn't it nice when you meet one that's grown?

Enjoy the feeling Wise. You are both lucky to have found each other.

So...Wise...Sista said...

All...Sprung...is that what I'm giving?? lol

Jonzee...Not tears...and shit. lol

Joy...SO done with you. :)

DatNucca says..."Now you don't have to chose between going to the bar and getting a facial. Relax and let someone pamper you for once."

That's it. Aww, see your recall is sick! *swoon...giggling* You gonna write me something now, Shorty? ;)

GreatWhyte said...

Your relationship sounds like my dream... it has its problems, but you push through. Enjoy it:)

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers