Monday, June 02, 2008

THREE'S COMPANY


So yall already read this, right?

And been read this??

Ok, ok on with it...

DATELINE…
Miami. March 2008. Day 1.

We’ve taken this exact photo a thousand times. Me, the shortest, flanked by the Amazons. My best friends are both six-footers, and in about 90% of the photos we’ve ever taken in our 15-year history, I’m making some sort of ridiculous face…compensating for the shenanigans that might be going on above my head.

In this case, we’re collapsing over each other at a South Beach dinner table, the bottle we brought in, underfoot. My eyes are struggling to stay open, though my mouth won’t shut up. I’m laughing hysterically. Gay Bartender’s hands are crossed on my bare shoulder. High as fuck, trying to be cute. Curly’s fingers are deep into my roots, playfully pulling my locs. She’s pointing defiantly at the camera. This is who we are.


DATELINE…Brooklyn, NY. New Years Day 2008.

“We all know I’m the worst. I don’t return calls. I disappear. I shut down when there’s a confrontation. But this is the one time I’ve gone above and beyond to save the friendship and she shit on me.” I sit up on the leather pull-out couch, last night’s clothes draping off of me. The loft apartment is dark, so I consult my phone to see that it’s already afternoon. Gay Bartender hands me a cup of coffee and takes a seat across from me.

GB and I go way back to 4th grade. 1985 or so. She was the black girl with the white best friend. All four of the other black kids in the class couldn’t stand her. Over the years – and we were together through middle, high school and even undergrad – I blackened her up and we were tight. I wouldn’t exactly say we were best friends, though I distinctly remember the first time she introduced me as such. We were close, but competitive. More like siblings than BFFs. In ninth grade we’d meet the girl who would be joined at GB’s hip.

Curly and I played ball together. She was tall and wiry and I loved lobbing the ball to her over her shorter defenders. But she was so skinny, she used to get her ass knocked around on the boards. She had a colorful personality and wardrobe to match. I’ll never forget the first time I met her she had on some red Cross.Colours jeans and matching rubber bands on her braces.

She and I were super cool, but she and GB were the pair. They were Every Day Friends, sleepover girls who spent weekends at the mall, and trying on make up. As we progressed through high school, they branched out with some shady cats, started smoking and fucking, and I wasn’t doing either. (I was however, getting pretty drunk on the other side of town). Nonetheless, we were a trio, but they were mostly inseparable, and I was more of the frequent guest star.

Years later after college, GB and Curly were roommates in Philly, then moved to Brooklyn. Having lived with GB myself throughout college, I knew that deep drama would ensue.

“I was home for four days, one of which was Christmas. And I have to basically spend enough time with my damn-near estranged mother, my grandmother who is slowly losing her mind, and my sister. And I don’t see Curly and the baby ONE DAY and she’s pissed at me.”

Back in like 2002 Curly had reconnected with one of her high school sweethearts. He lived in Florida then, and she in NYC. They had started making plans, were getting closer, and then one night he was gone. Shot in the head in a parking lot. And GB was nowhere to be found. She was bunned up with this chick that all of her friends hated. A chick who had manipulated her and caused a rift between her and Curly. Their friendship was never the same after that.

Curly had a kid 2 years ago despite several serious red flags. She lived in Brooklyn, a block away from GB, who was there with her, but her heart wasn’t in it. GB was the first to meet the loser who’d become her babydaddy, and was not pleased. Made it very public. Called me, the perpetual referee, to update me on the nonsense. He hit her. Was a coke head. Has a bunch of other kids. She’s convinced he’s gay cuz he came to the club wearing “gay ass sneakers.” Sure enough, the ngga was sitting in a jail cell when GB & I flanked either side of Curly's big pregnant self, walking up and down the hospital block, rubbing her back and timing contractions.


DATELINE…Brooklyn, NY. New Years Day 2008.

“We missed you last night.” I reread the text before sending it to Curly.

“You had fun?” I read her terse response and imagined her sitting in her dark living room watching her genius son identify obscure animals in one of his many wildlife books. I knew she was feeling some kinda way.

“You not being here created a glass ceiling on the fun. What’s up?”

“You know before Christmas I didn’t speak to GB for MONTHS? I would see her online sometimes and after a while I would just stop even saying hi. I sent her an email like you suggested and she literally didn’t respond. Not even to acknowledge that she got it. If that’s what best friends do then I guess I only got one left.”

We’re too old for this shit. These spats run deep. I understand and empathize with both. Because that’s what best friends do. I stand in the middle and listen. A part of me knows that this too will pass as it always does. And it will subsequently return, this chasm, this ugly gash in our family portrait. As it always does.


DATELINE…Miami. March 2008. Day 5.

“So Curly,” I say, before handing her a shot. “I was asking them nggas about 3somes.” Our heads cock back in unison. Bitter faces synchronize, too.

“You and two boys???” she asks.

“I didn’t say a TRAIN!” Our convo is lost among the many in the hotel room. “GB couldn’t believe I hadn’t had one since we got to Miami. Whore.”

“Don’t do it,” she says without turning toward me.

I pause. Listen.

“Drama. I didn’t even like the dude, then this bitch starts liking him when he started feeling me. So we did it.”

“When the fuck was this?” I'm incredulous.

“In Philly.”

My mind scrolls back to that period of our photo album. I didn’t expect to open this can of worms, but now that I’m all up in it I can’t help but simultaneously double over laughing and nervously squirm. “Who was this??”

“Remember Justin? That one from Cali?”

“Ngga, the CHICK! Who the hell was the chick?!”

This is a photo we’ve never taken. In our 15-year history we have never had this conversation. Philly was almost 10 years ago. The weight of this secret hovers above my head and I cant help but make a ridiculous face…as the next round of shots go down.

“GB.”

17 comments:

Mizrepresent said...

Okay, i'm new, i'm lost, but i'm hooked!

Candice said...

Daaaaaaammmmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

That's all I got.

Anonymous said...

gotta watch them Cali folks... thats all Im gonna say ... and welcome back!

Quarter Life Crisis of a Black Woman said...

*WoW* And now you know! I think I need a drink! Bartender! <(_)

Amadeo said...

Dramamine.

Nexgrl said...

Sometimes the relationship doesn't always recover when there is a build up of resentment and anger.

So...Wise...Sista said...

MizRep...Meeee toooo! lol

Cali...I'll definitely take your word for it. I know YOU know. ;)

Candice...*sigh*

Quarterlife...Make that a double!

Amadeo...EXACTLY.

Nexgirl...Very true. As is obviously the case.

Anonymous said...

WOOOOWWWW!!!!! And sosososo...how did THAT make you feel? I'm curious...

So...Wise...Sista said...

Durt...For real for real...I felt like the short girl in the photo! lol
Highly amused & highly incredulous. Didnt see it coming. Pissed that they crossed that line. & to make matters worse, I was the last of the crew to know. :( )

Anonymous said...

I need to drink with you all!! Goddamn. Im suppose to be watching this Barack speech but Im reading your damn blog!!

CNEL said...

WoW

Nothing more to say.

P.S. Thanks for the congrats, I'll be e-mailing you for advice LoL

Jameil said...

i knew that was comin. prep yourself for cnel's epic email...

the joy said...

whoa. see, thats why i only have one female friend, lol.

and youre the mediator. thats the worst place to be in because you havent done anything but yet you have to have all the answers.

Miz JJ said...

Well, that explains a lot of the drama. That's a tough one to come back from.

Southerner in Suomi said...

I'm no good at the mediator thing. Once you get outta pocket, I just throw up the deuces and roll out.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Why as I read..."joined at the hip" in the 4th paragraph I was thinking...those chicks did IT.

..and do you suppose it ended with just that one vent...or did they continue on to have a relationship without you knowing it? Is that maybe the reason that silly shit is going on?

Hi Wise.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Epsi...Is that why you sent me that text? All distracted and such. lol

CNelly...You know my inbox is always open :)

Jam...Glad one of us did. And quit hating on the young man!

Joy...You got the only friend you'll ever need. And I know I always have all the answers and stuff, but this shit is extra.

Miz JJ...*sigh*

VDiz...I wish it was that easy. But it's like dealing with two siblings (who fucked?? Ewwwww!) lol

Hey Stranger Posing As Blah! Did they have a relationship? I'm gonna say no, but anything's possible. Curly and I have these sporadic confessional convos now where every few weeks I find out something else bizarre, including how she'd pull up GB's shirt at a club and kiss the tata's. *bewildered* But obviously, now it all makes sense. She's totally in love with her, which I did always know.

Now there are allegations that GB is in love with me. (*shaking my fist in defiance* You know who you are, ngga!)

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers