Wednesday, August 13, 2008

ACCENT

I remember being on the phone with dude and I distinctly looking at the phone all defeated.


Or maybe it was in person, and I stood silent and momentarily frozen, before kicking aside a rock or something.


Either way, it wasn’t no email or text or voicemail cuz I was only in like 7th grade.


“You got a white accent.”


He didn’t say I “talk white” or that I “sound like a white girl.” He said I had a white accent. And for some reason I instantly knew what he meant.


This obviously wasn’t my first trial. I had been accused of all of the above, what with being one of only five blackies in the “smart” class since 4th grade. It was either I was acting white because of my achievement (guess they never got wind of that one warning letter I got threatening to kick me out because I got a couple Cs.). Or that I talked white because of my penchant for the King’s English. Silly grammar. Guess they didn’t hear me getting scolded at home for either speaking patois with my brothers, or using slang my parents couldn’t decipher.


But if you ever been around white people you know it’s hard to be around them for long without falling into their cadence, if for no other reason than so that they can understand what the fcuk you’re talking about. It’s similar to how you can tell when white folks grew up in the hood. You can hear it.


But that wasn’t it. It was just, how I sounded. For years I hated my voice. Still do. I have no control over the high pitches or the sometimes low lilts. I do however, have full handle of my articulation and I can sometimes rein in the occasional Caribbean riddim or borough-inspired rough edges. If you speak to me on the phone, and particularly if you know my government, it may be difficult to discern me as a negress. Unless you get me cussing.


So you know how on BlackinAmerica there was a segment on “talking white.” Cause it’s apparently a HUGE problem facing our community. If you’re uninitiated, the argument is that young people who do well in school or speak proper English are often accused of “acting or talking white.” Of course this is rubbish, because the idea is that to be a high achieving is equated with whiteness…and you know where that leaves blackness. In the dark, per usual.

But here’s my question…Is this the whole truth?

Or do some coloreds actually talk or act white?


Hear me out, cuz I’m just typing out loud…


Let’s first consider that there’s a good chance that the good, book-learned black folk, like myself, who articulated this Act White oppression are probably the ones who were accused of doing so. They were the Act Whiters. Might still be. So then there’s a good chance, that like me, they carry some baggage about it. It’s like the newly-brolic dude who used to get his ass kicked when he was little. He still feels some kinda way about bullying, and can hypothesize and analyze the shit out of the topic. Yes?


Ok, so then there’s a good chance that in the self preservation of said White Talker’s superior ego, there’s still a side left unturned. Three sides to every story, no?


Real talk, as someone who’s been accused, I don’t really think that what was being said was that I was trying to be a good student and therefore a white student, and therefore acting white. I don’t think that I was being dragged down by the crabs, then unceremoniously kicked in the belly of the bucket by self loathing niggers. I think that they saw me running with my best friend, a white chick, heard me talking about how we used to go cross country skiing back in the day (but missed the part where it was during gym class, and not on the weekends at my family's cottage in Vail or no bullshit). Peeked into my Latin class and saw me, the only black speck. Heard my accent.


But real talk, some nggas actually talk white.

And some try to act white too.


Yeah, I said it.


And I’m not talking about black folks who like rock music either. Cuz that shit’s ours. And your ipod does not a White Acter make.


I’m not talking about dating outside your race... Though if I wanted I probably could.


Not talking about Hillary or Carlton.Banks... They knew they were black.


Nor am I referring to no suburban negroes... Sometimes you just want a gate and a lawn and to be pulled over by the cops in your own driveway.


I went to a white school, so you know I’ve seen my fair share of brothers and sisters trying to get away with the same shit that white kids do. The hazing. The outdoor partying. The walking barefoot. The shorts in the winter. Their asses ALWAYS ended up locked up or in the hospital. Nggas.


If you closed your eyes you would think that Tiger*Woods was pretty pale. Plus he plays golf. Anyone know who Shane*Battier is? It’s not that they both speak proper English. So does Michael Jordan, but he doesn’t sound like an overseer.


Don't mind me... I'm just typing out loud after all, but maybe, just maybe, black folks aren't as deft as we'd be led to believe. Sometimes nggas be just acting stupid.

11 comments:

GreatWhyte said...

Of ALL the people you could've chosen, I sooooooooooo heart you for choosing Shane Battier to illustrate this point! Back in my heyday (**smirk**) I dated a guy who played on Blue Devils with him, and honey lemme tell you.... if he isn't the PICTURE PERFECT spokesmodel for this blog entry, I don't know who is. Sometimes being in his presence just made me wanna grab a tray, hang my head down low, and mutter a quick "Mo tea, suh??"

the joy said...

Hey chick! I like to be barefoot! Lol.

There's this chick I work with who, yeah I think she thinks she's white. Like she said if she ever had kids they would be by a white dude, she is a grown woman screaming over the Jonas bros, to listen to her she kind of doesn't fit in with the mostly black people we work with. Even those of us that "act" white, its kind of just a product of our surroundings and like you said we can just as easily "act" black. She doesn't have that.

You know I know what you're saying. I'm from Connecticut. Womp.

I don't know who Shane whoever is. But I don't follow whatever sport you were talking about.

Jonzee said...

First, as you were typing out loud, I could hear you talking out loud...and gestures and screw faces and all...lmao.

Now, for the matter at hand. Um...I was once one of those people who actually thought she was white--wanted a body perm, listened to nothing that was not 80's hair rock. In recent years, my mother admitted to me that she did not take me out of public school because of fear of "drugs", but because I had no clue about my heritage or that I was indeed a negress.

And I can tell those who are exactly like that from about 50 miles away!

K

Nexgrl said...

I have seen up close and personal those of which you speak. Non lotion using, not hair grease using, let alone a comb. I am not speaking of afros and dreads either. I am refering to those who believe water and a comb will do the job. Running around the mall with those others who have no home training.

Mo said...

I feel your pain, Wise. Great post!

SRae

Blu Jewel said...

given the fact that i'm English, i've heard that that so often since living in the U.S. I'm not going to alter the way i speak to appease anyone and if you don't like the way i sound, then don't speak to me. i'm more than the sum of my voice as i'm sure you are and there's nothing wrong with knowing how to speak well.

this was a great post.

love!

Nkenge said...

I really do think its a matter of what you are exposed to. Tiger for instance doesnt even consider himself African American he
s part this \/ part that. SO reg. old black folks need to stop trying to claim him. MJ grew up in the south so yep he does use proper english but he also grew up with black people. A average black family wher you know everybody and there's no denying who you are. I grew up in an all African AMerican neighborhood. It was miami so people were from everywere. The islands,a few from the motherland, some from europe but all of African decent. So I sound like that crazy mix. I speak correct english because my daddy didnt play that. No slang in our house period. Its nuture not nature. BESIDES WHO SAYS ALL AFRICAN AMERICANS HAVE TO BE TE SAME, SPEAK THE SAME, DRESS THE SAME, EVEN BE IN THE SAME TYPE OF ACTIVITIES....I played gold, soccer, took ballet, was in band( it was majoritiy white), played field hockey, was in theather none of that limits or negates my blackness

Amadeo said...

This is why my child will have a curriculum that includes throat chopping. So should they be accused of the "false" acting/talking white, they can just chop away and then ask...so am I acting chinese now?

As for the second kind...yeah. I know exactly.

Radmila said...

Here is the link to the podcast of an interview with Zadie Smith.
Scroll down and look for it...it's long but worth it.
She touches on just this subject, and and also the whole topic of middle to upper class people of colour.

Radmila said...

http://www.cbc.ca/writersandcompany/audio.html

sorry...that's the link.

So...Wise...Sista said...

X says..."Mo tea, suh??"
That will be all. Please have a seat. Outside.

Joy...CT is fantastic! Barefoot, a little less so. I was talking basketball. Bless your heart. lol

Jonzee...no fair. You have the advantage of a visua/verbal visual!! Very insightful.

Nex...watr and a comb? *BLANK stare*

Thanx SR!

Blu...Now see you Brits are a whole diff post altogether. ;) "i'm more than the sum of my voice"
Very well said.

Married says..."I played gold, soccer, took ballet, was in band( it was majoritiy white), played field hockey, was in theather none of that limits or negates my blackness"

This is my point exactly. I dont think any of those things nor the ones I listed are indicators of anything besides your affinity for them. My point is that perhaps what's been missing from the discourse is the suggestion that maybe there's an incorrect assessment in what people actually mean when they indict for whiteness. ...ok now why do I feel like Im making absolutely NO sense. lol

Amadeo...Umm, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Hey Radmilla! ...I think I've heard this intvw that you're talking about. I'll listen when I get a chance. Thanks.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers