Friday, March 24, 2006

Go..Go..Go..Go...Go Shawty!



Yeah, it's this blogger's birfday!
When my dad died a year and half ago, the funeral director told us that a lot of people die in the month that they were born. He was five days shy of his 62nd born day. It seems natural to be preoccupied with thoughts of how you’ll exit the world on the day that you came into it….

But that was probably the last thing on my mind the year my sister threw me a surprise birthday sleepover at her crib with L–Dubb, Gay Bartender and Curly. (PS – That was a hella big deal cuz Jamaican parents don’t play that sleep ah sum’ahdy else yahd nonsense)

Or the year when Cathy Shutz, this mousy white chick in my 3rd grade class approached me all shook and apologetic because she had forgot my gift at home. I looked at her like, ‘damn, am I THAT popular and powerful?’ She came in the next day with a chocolate bunny and another flurry of apologies.

Or sophomore year in college when Gay Bartender threw me a surprise dinner with none of my new friends cuz she didn’t know them…or my 21st, when I threw up two bottles of Mad Dogg, an undisclosed amount of $1 lemon drops and buttery nipples (the drink, ngga!), 151 (NEVER again), tequila and Heineken in some random dude’s toilet.

Or my quarter-life bday when my crew slipped into VIP at Hard Rock Café (one of AJ from 106& Park's HOT joints) without dropping the $100 damage by frontin' like we were down with the birthday party of a diminutive Queens rapper whose wife has the same name as me.

Or the birthday where Funk Master Flex called out my plus sized home girl who was wilding out in the club: “You need to get off that speaker… YOU ARE TOP HEAVY!”

Or the romantic dinner and quality time b-day with NC a few years back.

Or the year I bit off Heidi Springer and made her legendary cupcakes in ice cream cones and brought them to school for the whole class (5th grade).

Or the year my dad forgot my bday…it was around the time my grandma got real sick. I had all but already spent that born day cash, too!

But I’ll remember this 2006 late-20something birthday as the one where I got carded…buying a lotto ticket. (Damn, bitch…I don’t look 18??!)

How come birthdays are like Valentine’s Day…full of unsolicited expectations? How come if you just wanna relax and be low key on your special day (read: saving every little dime for my upcoming foray to Vegas), people lift an eyebrow? How come not having a significant other sucks a little bit more today? How come people gauge the value of a birthday by what people give you?

And how come I’m guilty of gauging how much people love me by the time of day they call me?

...Gay Bartender (my girl since 4th grade) just after midnight, as always.
...Mack just before midnight, then at noon today as expected
...Phatz during his lunch break (with a story about some ngga, as usual)
...My sister this morning, singing a full two stanzas of happy birthday
...My brother this morning, saying it by not saying it
...Other two bros stopped by before work
...Sister in law for a hot second at lunch, asking if she could skip the singing
...My nephews as soon as they got home from school
...And my mom at 2p…which is pretty good since usually I have to call her. :)
...The Ex-Con…MIA as expected. :(
...Anyone who hasn't called by now is suspect.

Today I pour out a lil liquor for the old days when birthdays were about bringing enough for the whole class.

For the days when birthday cards ALWAYS had money in it…usually a dollar for each of your years.

For the days when I would have been flattered to have dudes I don’t like wanna show me a good time. (raincheck, fellas)

For the day I don’t watch the clock waiting on a call I long for but know not to expect.

Naw, for now I’ll just pour out a lil liquor for him, too.

And some for my Daddy.

“You can find me in da club!”

16 comments:

Jameil said...

owwwwwwwwww!! get it girl, get it girl!! :) you don't need no ex cons! lol. i will call people out about the time too!! i'm so mad at that mix!! henny, tequila, md 20/20 (ugh!!) and on and on you went!! that was terrible!! i'm so appalled! that sounds like one of those 21st bday type things! lol happppppppy birthday!!

SunshineMama said...

Happy Birthday Sis!!!!!! Aries! Aries!!! I think those are actually some pretty great birthday memories. And I can totally relate to Birthdays being like Valentines Day. I think we're all a little guilty of going through the same process you do. "Youuuuu are not a-loooonnne!" Happy Birthday girl, again!

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday!!! I remember those b-days where it was all about having enough for class. Why can't things be that simple. Stay putta trouble and enjoy yourself.

BZ said...

Stopped through by way of Epsilonicus. I enjoyed the read. Look forward to more. And, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YA! (From a fellow late-20's --although about to be 30-- east coaster.)

BZ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DJ Diva said...

Why am I not mad about the mad dog? Perhaps b/c I drank it myself in college LOL

Happy B'day girl...mine is Monday...and guess where you can find me? LOL

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated B-Day. Hope it was a great day.

Rashan Jamal said...

Hey, just found your blog. Not sure how, but i'm glad I did. I wish I would have been around for some of the earlier posts. Hope you had a Happy Birthday.

Sherlon Christie said...

So...we are both Jamaican?

Mr.Slish said...

I'm late as usual..Happy belated. Why yuh neva Holla at rude bwoys Slasher and Venom we would have Bought ya a few drinks...

So...Wise...Sista said...

Thanks for all the bday wishes! Y'all so cute and special!

Jameil...it was a 21st bday for the ages. Talk about BENT. And I loved every minute of it! And to this day even the thought of 151 makes me heave.

DP...congrats to you! Birthday lays are the BEST...hot birthday candle wax...whipped cream from the cake....nice. ;)

Mama to be Hokai... My 2 best friends (Gay Bartender and Curly) have signif others that share my bday. Bizarre, right? And they say I'm not a typical azzhole Aries. But I wanna be! ;)

So...Wise...Sista said...

Eps...but if you were a real power player you also brought enough for the class next door, the other teachers in your hallway and the chicks working in the office....I was way too broke for all that sharing!

BZ...welcome kindred grown azz woman... but don't be reminding me that 30 is not that far down the pike. lol Love your blog...your trip back to the alma mater was so cute!

DJ Diva...damn I'm a day late for your bday, but lemme guess, you STILL in da club. :) Isnt Mad Dog as "college" as midterms? lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

CNelly...thanks baby!

Casanova...thanks for the love. Hopefully my best work is to come.

Insane in the Membrane...naw, you ain't suspect...you still "company." ;)

SP...Wa gwan rude bwoy? A when lass yuh deh a Jamdung? The the truth, did your parents let you seep over people's house? NONE of my foreign friends could do that shit back in the day.

Sish Star...it's never too late for free drinks from cute boys. ;)

Supa said...

Happy Belated, So Wize!!!!!

DramaFree said...

Happy Belated Chica!!

Blah Blah Blah said...

I see Slish is tryna pimp out my blogger boyfriend and Venom...let me find out he's making some sort of profit....I GET a percentage............

Ok...now on to So Wise....happy belated. Don't know ya...but we're from the same space...so I'm tracking you and YOU KNOW I LUB your blog....like that insight yo!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers