Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Ex Con Apprehended



OK…not to backtrack, but I now sense a conspiracy…ok or maybe just a mild set up. I was just getting comfortable with being cool with Best Friend Guy (BFG, best friend of my Ex), when a sudden IM window pops up on my screen the other day…

Ok, first off, for background on the issue play catch up.…

So BFG lives almost an hour from me…and I’ll be on his turf next week to see a show. We’re very excited, and we’ve been exchanging freestyle rhyme emails that have me rolling over laughing, and him googling some of my lines to see if I’m really an “authentic MC.” He didn’t know I was nice like that…

So on Saturday I buckled down and completed my personal statement for my grad school apps. Couldn’t focus at home, what with an “Awesomely Bad…” marathon on VH1 and young college boys in mesh shorts running around hooping on all the networks.

So I’m writing and editing and re-writing when the box pops up. I was frozen for a moment, so confused and startled. I usually have that screen name on BLOCK ALL. But someone broke thru security, I guess. lol

The IMer: Hey, I forgot I had you on my buddy list. I haven’t been on this thing in a while, but when I saw you I just thought I’d say hi.

SoWiseSista: You scared the shit out of me.

The IMer: Sorry.lol

SoWiseSista: Should I know who this is?

The IMer: Oh my fault…it’s The Ex Con.

SoWiseSista: This is weird…guess where I am right now…at Spot Café. [this is a downtown locale I go to do my work, and a place he and I first expressed our feelings]

The Ex Con: Wow. That is weird.


OK…he and I have never IM’d eachother. Incessant text msgs, long sprawling emails, and several daily phone calls, but never any IMs. Now I had an idea of who this was…in all honesty, after some pathetic, post-break up reconn work, I had discovered his online alias on my own.

ANYWHO…I have not spoken to the Ex since August when we called it off. The only contact since then was a limp birthday email. So after this IM ambush, I immediately call for back up, my confidant Mack (shout out MLG). Cuz this was unexpected to say the least…well sort of.

He asked about my vitals…how’s work, how’s my mom, etc, etc. Small talk that was corny (which I told him)…but then the tip off…

He asked me what was “in my rotation.” Music talk, for the sonically challenged. Aha! I played along…

SWS: Oh, I been R&B’in it lately. Jamie Foxx, the obligatory Mary. The new Vivan Green is cool.

The Ex Con: Cool. I’ve been listening to
The Roots: Home Grown (he is OBSESSED with them), The Hidden Beach Unwrapped, and Little Brother…I don’t know if I ever told you they’re my favs after The Roots.


So phony! I knew it. I call it a set up…but this is exactly the opportunity I had been anticipating. One of his college buddies is a good friend of mine from high school and he’s my happy hour buddy. And now his best friend is getting chummy with me…I’ve always wanted to know if they’ve been filtering info back to him. And this was his opportunity to affirm the inquiry.

SoWiseSista: I love Little Brother. Going to see them next week, as I’m sure you already know.

The Ex Con: Yeah, BFG told me…but you know, any time he or Happy Hour Dude mentions seeing you I’m always glad to know that you’re doing well.


Good to know. And I guess that’s what I’ve always wanted to know…does he care how I’m doing? He does. Good to know.

4 comments:

Jameil said...

oh boooooooo. stalker. yeah right he forgot he had you on i.m. he had already been all up in your business via the friends and now he wants to talk himself. all jealous. is he really an ex-con? love, love LOVED your comments on my blog. you prompted a new post.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Glad to be of inspiration Jameil. Your blog cracks me up.

The Ex-Con, [a name I lovingly refer to all EX-boy toys] is transparant as hell, but it still remains to be seen what the hell he has to say to me. Funny thing, Best Friend Guy and I had drinks last night, and he's feeling me. No doubt about it. Puts me in a tight spot bec I really love hanging out with him, but I also really would not go there with the friend of an ex...much less his best friend! But I can see that BFG will be a great source for me getting into the Ex Con's biz...cuz, shit yeah, I'm nosy!

Jameil said...

of course he's tryin to holla. dudes is nasty like that. i keep tryin to explain to the b.f. my friends are not allowed anywhere near any exes in a sexual capacity and vice versa. he doesn't get it. uh uh. and i'm not tryin to hang out w/your friends to be all up in the biz. but then i've never dated anyone w/great friends so that might explain it!! lolol ok it most def explains it. i would absolutely still be cool w/someone who was cool. lololol

So...Wise...Sista said...

Ya know, as I get older, a guy with shitty friends is a deal breaker. The friends have so much influence, and they are the getaway when I'm away, so I would go nuts if he was cavorting with losers. Plus, when they have their little movie nights and 'come over and watch the game' get togethers, who wants to be just sitting there all silent with their legs crossed, secretly rolling eyes, annoyed as hell with the inane convos, begging the 4th quarter to come. NOT ME!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers