Saturday, January 21, 2006

BROKEback Mountain...No Homo :)

Oh my gosh. Marriage. For the record, I’m nowhere near the place, so trust I’m not hardly trying to speak on the institution beyond saying, ‘I hope it lasts.’

So I’m talking to this kid I grew up with, I mean from like, 5 years old…we live on the same street. He’s come a long way from the cantankerous, mischievous, hard nose boy with the ridiculous temper. He’s mild mannered and easy with a smile and chuckle. Ivy League educated, attractive, athletic, intelligent, open, spiritual, down to earth, and funny as hell. Sweetie Pie.

Then why can’t Sugar find a decent woman? His trouble: he’s broke.

After Ivy he spent time working then went back to school. So at 26, he hasn’t had many full years of working full time. But check it, Sweetie Pie was engaged to a fellow Ivy Leaguer, who happened to be the daughter of a senator. Talk about fast track.

So he and I hadn’t seen eachother for years between school (him) and work/moving (me). But one day he calls me and tells me he’s in NYC with his future in-laws. Wants to know a spot to hang out. Of course I immediately suggest some sophisticated, sexy lounge or another, only to find out Sweetie Pie doesn’t drink. And Ivy Wife wouldn’t be feeling that type of décor anyway. Well excuse the hell outta…..

So he’s only in town until the next afternoon (Sunday) so there’s not enough time for me to come meet him…and meet Ivy Wife.

So fast fwd to the next morning, I’m at church (shout out to Abyssinian Baptist!) and the pastor announces that one of our visitors is none other than a senator and his family. The Senator stands and introduces his family, including his “future son in law, who is fitting in quite nicely.” I almost ripped my offering envelope. I’m peeking over church hats and ducking around ushers trying to get a glimpse of the Senator and his family. Sure enough after service I go investigate and it’s my Sweetie Pie neighbor, so cute in his little tweed blazer and tan slacks.

Ok so that’s just a fun story that I love telling anytime I mention my Sweetie Pie.

But there is a point. He was engaged to this girl, and the next time I hear from him - through email just after the anniversary of his brother’s (my childhood sweetie) death – he was less than a week “disengaged.” He called it off.

So fast fwd like 2 years, to a week ago when I ran into him in the post ofc….then again to last night when he called me to see what I was up to. So Sweetie Pie has literally lived in 3 different time zones since undergrad and is back in NY. Nursing a healing appendix. A bitter outlook on his immediate love life. And broke.

See, according to Sweetie Pie, he’s not even in the league of great catches for one reason and one reason only…his cash flow needs viagara. Women, he says, ain’t messing with no bling-challenged brother. Now scroll back up if you will, and peep his credentials…he’s fine, fun and not a ho. 26. He says his stint in Phoenix was the last straw. He felt NO LOVE there at all.

“What ever happened to the days of wanting to grow with a brother?” he laments…and I concur. “I’m a decent brother, make enough to pay my bills, drive a tight, clean car, maintain good credit, and a comfortable lifestyle,” he says, “but just not thousands of disposal dollars to give to a woman, RIGHT NOW. But I will!”

He says women are not feeling men with no money, point blank. So he’s basically chilling until he reaches the next echelons of his career, a plateau that will afford him the luxury of picking and choosing his gold diggers.

So I say, “But if you attract them under such superficial circumstances, then the rewards will be superficial.” To which he says…

“Well maybe a trophy is better than an empty case,” he says.

Hmm…

But it gets better. I suggest he accompany me to a young professional party, where I will personally point out a number of women on the cusp of 30, who don’t give a fuck about any man’s bank account. She’ll have her own. And all she needs is a true companion…someone to be there when she gets home from work…to rub her feet, her back, listen to her work drama, hold her tight at night, and be honest when she asks if her suit is getting a little snug.

I’m not suggesting that women at my age have low expectations, but I am saying that [as we get older and as the pool of eligible brothers dwindles] our needs tend to be different from a lot of younger women. I mean really, we remember what it was like to be fresh out of college, $50,000 in the hole, and stuck with job prospects that pay only a portion of that. A guy with some dough would have been nice, if for nothing else than to treat her to something other than spaghetti or ramen noodles one night a week. So shout out to all the young chicks looking for the big pay back.

Older women, ones with secure careers and decent finances tend to be less concerned with finding a man who can buy her things. We’ve been there, done that shit, and it wasn’t all that…ok birthdays WERE off tha chain! But at 30, a woman with a thriving career and toilet level romance prospects, is more likely to see your potential and want to nurture it.

Stop right there. I didn’t say ALL. Nor am I speaking for all. But if your problem is the money problem, then perhaps instead of writing of ALL women as stars in a Kanye video, consider a woman with some dough of her own…

So Sweetie Pie, what do you think?

“But I want a younger woman,” he says!

Well good luck, playa. Like you said, she ain’t messin with no broke ngga.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

LoL this was a very interesting and thought provoking post.
Being a college student, I think I might change my major to Brokeconomics, I have all the prerequisite skills and experiences.
But I digress.
This post brings to mind several things
1) The List: Where would money stack up on a real woman's "Must Have" qualities list?
2) Are people really that vain and materalistic?
3) Do people want to acquire status because of how they feel (proud or accomplished) or how it makes others feel (jealous)?
4) Do people overlook love cause they're too busy lusting after and over the unimportant?
5) Will it ever be okay for a woman to support a man financially without a brother's masculinity and a woman's feminity being questioned?
and
What ever happened to a man and a woman complementing each other? Why can't we both bring these to the table, and they be enough to fix it up right?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Here's the thing Cnel...not everyone who values money is seeking material wealth. I know I want a boatload but could care less bout the bling. I want to be able to travel, to live comfortably, to support my family, to start a fam of my own. That shit aint cheap. But think, marrying a guy or girl with dough is like hitting the lotto. Is it much diff than folks who play numbers every week?

But truth is, I think love is definitely less of a priority for SOME...maybe it's hard to have faith in finding that 'Bobby and Whitney'. lol But it aint hard to believe in the almighty cheddar!
[PS - this is NOT a PSA or endorsement for the check chasers.]

Jameil said...

very interesting story. more annoying to me than the dude w/o money is the dude w/the high-paying job, etc. who wants to tell me how great he is. and??? don't nobody want to hear that. ugh.

Urban Sista said...

Send him to Canada!!

Seriously, I know plenty of sisters in their late 20s or 30s, who are not looking for a rich man, but looking for a man who can hold his own... someone who brings something to the relationship -- not a man who will support them.

Now, if you're talking brokeBROKE: can't afford the rent, is calling me for bus fare, etc. Nah sir, I can struggle by myself. But that's only common sense. How many dudes would want to support a broke woman?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...yo, THAT guy is the WORST! Bec really his tax bracket seems to be his passport to bad behavior. Too bad lots of sistas eat that nonsense up like fat-free 'tato chips.

UrbanSis...I feel you 100%. I'll ask him if he's down to travel north. lol Why come it seems like character and personality tends to be one of the last things some dudes feel like they need to offer a woman. Like they kill self to have the abs, the dough, the ride, the Gucci square-toes..."chicken or egg"...did women create that monster or did men?

Thanks for the shouts ladies!

Anonymous said...

Good comments in response to Cnel. When it comes to the type Jameil refers to though, it's all in PULLING WOMEN/GIRLS/ETC. We as men all our lives consistently see where such positive traits "seem" obsolete with most sistas IN OUR FORMATIVE "COMING OF AGE" YEARS. If you couple that with big money, you ususally get arrogance. Anonymous Detroit

So...Wise...Sista said...

So Detroit...as always you share a very balanced view, which I appreciate. And not to ignore CNel's initial question, where does $ rank on a "real woman's" must-have list?

One of my best friends said the other day that she doesn't see anything wrong with wanting a guy with money. I agree. Where I tend to disagree with some check chasers is that if I meet a great guy who doesn't have money then I don't just turn my head. Thing is, I just can't imagine turning my back if it's the real deal. If it's a sincere connection, chances are he's ambitious like me and we can build that wealth together...[I'm so idealistic! yuck.]

But if we're talking just casual dating, then I can see why it's hard to be like, yeah I'll date this guy who can't afford to go see a show at S.O.B.'s every now and then...or even go to a decent restaurant. At a certain age TGI Friday's just don't agree with the stomach!

Anonymous said...

As a man, I can't answer Cnel's question. I do know that it's vital though for a man (and a woman)to be able to have some cashflow/assets, preferably doing something you enjoy but that which could hopefully sustain you (and perhaps eventually a family). In addition, the desire and action to do better, reach higher and just being damn creative. Once you get the that level, you can pick apart doing better versus plain old materialism. Anonymous Detroit.

So...Wise...Sista said...

This might also be a symptom of what this generation has come to expect...Results and rewards...with as little effort a possible...and most importantly, it gotta be like, RIGHT NOW. So maybe 'Get Money' guys/girls want to be able to buy shit without waiting on THEIR own paycheck. Maybe. Or maybe they just straight up shallow and trife! :)

Anonymous said...

You said it. It doesn't apply to all but that is the pervading energy that seems to overpower most at different points in time and seep into most if not all of us. Anonymous Detroit.

Jameil said...

i was talking to one of my friends about this the other day. she said she felt like if she didn't go to grad school, her man wouldn't think she was good enough for him. i told her i wouldn't care if the b.f. never advanced past where he was if he was happy. then i thought about it. it was a lie. i can say that b/c i know he doesn't want those things, b/c i know he has aspirations.

for dudes, i don't need you to be rolling in dough now, but if you have no ambitions and goals of money that you're working toward, you're not the man for me. there's nothing wrong w/believing that guy is out there. i do. and i refuse to believe otherwise. hmm... maybe i'm idealistic too lol. but i'll be that!!

SunshineMama said...

I finally got a chance to read your blog...that was fun and I love peoples stories (the senators daughter-seein him in church story). -hk

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers