Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Thu.gs and The Women Who Invite Them

This...I imagine, is how muhfuckas get slashed up in their own home...

Jeffery has a unique perspective of the world. At 6'7", he encounters few people who can look beyond him, and his demure charisma captures what little attention his daunting physical stature doesn't.

His easy smile is misleading. He's neither happy nor lucky. By 8 years old he had a nicotine addiction. By 16 it was weed...that was around the time Jeffery Sr, his pops, passed away. A graphic headstone inscribed with "RIP" adorns the inside of his forearm.

His easy smile is distracting. The Black btwn those Africanesque lips hangs at an impossible angle, and unfortunately hides a smile worthy of private-practice pride.

Those lips kiss his girl every morning when he arrives at their job. They pucker again when he leaves for his GED courses. A few weeks shy of 23 years old, he is just now accomplishing the task of a young man five years his junior. But that paper will validate a life of education that has stretched well beyond any school yard.

At 18 he was with a woman with 5 kids...because he loved her, and them.

He was a decent defensive end on the high school football team. Had a bitter out of school rivalry with Carmelo Anthony back in those days.

While Melo shot 3s, Jeffery was shooting .38s.

He doesn't throw the word 'thug' around loosely. He will, however, flash a few Blood signs.


Today smoking is his last hurdle to climb. He allows himself maybe 4 Newports a day, or a Black, like today. No weed. No liquor. He understands the power and lure of addiction.

"I've done every drug known to man."

Weed. Coke. Her'oin. PCP. Acid. Got caught up with the shit he was dealing. Got caught up in the pain of losing his father. Of the gutter he called home in West Baltimore ("Bawduh'more").

Went on his last drug binge when he was eluding the jakes. Cuz his girl was so shook that he would get 20 years that she aborted their unborn child.

Fcuked him up.

Got caught. Locked up. Got put in a halfway house. Has to be home by 9. Curfew. That was only a year ago.

Went to a job interview today. More dough. More in line with the law enforcement career he seeks. It went well, except he only managed to type exactly half the required wpm. He did 20. Never took a typing course.

But he'll be out of the halfway house on Oct 3, after 6 months there. That day he goes back to court, hopefully for the last time. Coincidentally, it's also the day he was born. He's looking fwd to going back to his family, to spending more time with his girl. To starting over.

He's a contemplative thug. A polite, smiley gentleman. A giant who swears by telling a woman's age by examining the depth of lines in her palm. A man with the curiosity of a child sneaking a Newport at 8, and the insight of a war-torn veteran. Honest to a fault. Introspective, determined, and confident.

Jeffery is my neighbor. We met a few weeks ago as I was on my way to my whip, and then again the next morning as he was on his way to work. That was when he showed me the gang signs...and the smile.

I saw him again today for the first time in a while. He was smoking and drinking water out on his stoop. We chatted for a while, him asking how my day at school was, me asking him the same. He told me most of his personal details sitting on a crate in my kitchen (I aint got no chairs yet).

Um, Wise...that IS your name right? You appear to be of at least average, um...wise-dumb...so I it is with all due respect that I ask... WHAT IN THE HELL WAS A REFORMED GANGBANGING, SLANGER DOING INSIDE YOUR CRIB!?

Well.....[back outside on the stoop, as my legs were growing weary from standing]

"You good with a screwdriver, Jeffery?"

"Yes, I'm pretty good, why?"

"Cuz I went to I.kea on Saturday and got this big dresser, and to hell if I can't put that shit together by myself.""You wanna take care of it right now?"

The answer... I need someplace to put my shit. Tired of living out of suitcases! [back story...I just relocated to Bawduh'more to pursue my Masters. For those concerned readers, I do not live near The Wire nor The Corner. I live on a quiet block a few blocks from JHU, ie - amongst white folk...and apparently, a halfway house.]

So Jeffery came over right quick, about an hour before curfew, and put my shit together. I have friends I could have asked, but I'm the 'I can do it myself' type who knows even your best friends dont really wanna do the shit you dont even wanna do for yourself.

He was on his best behavior...tho an Amber alert did flash thru my mind when he asked if I knew Prince and 'Preme...some ole drug nggas from NY. I let him taste this Rachel Ray shit I made last night...chicken breast and pesto and green beans (Jameil, you gotta try it!). He politely finished it and said it tasted "different." So I made him some turkey cheeseburgers (sans the bread...I'm low-carb, yo).

And I gave him my copies of B-More Careful, and The AutoBio of Malcolm X. Turns out he's Muslim. He's partial to books about war and ancient leaders like Hannibal.

Who do I think I am, a fake azz social worker??

Naw, just an independent girl and marginal carpenter. A girl who wants a place for her panties.

A girl, who could have very easily ended up cut in half.

Idiot.

38 comments:

Jameil said...

glad you're still whole. i'm tempted to try the recipe today, faux social worker. don't do that ish no mo. AND nobody knew he was there? oh HELL no. i didn't know you were in bmore. we gon have to do a blogger meet up when i go down there w/cnel and epsi. leave jeffrey at home please. lol (such an asshole)

Jarrod said...

I appluad you for letting homeboy come through. By the way...hi. I think this is my first time here.

Blu Jewel said...

Interesting and lively post. I think it was both kind and a little daring that you let Jeffery help you. I'm of the mindset that people can change if they want to and if we allow them to, it's just a shame that we sometimes have to be so cautionary about it.

1969 said...

Good for you for treating Jeffrey like a human being. However, I still say as a single woman living alone, you need to be more cautious Missy!

Discombobulated Diva said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Discombobulated Diva said...

Welcome to Bmore... I love it here (despite all the crime and craziness)... its gonna be a very interesting & enjoyable stay... props for looking out for the guy, most people around here know to look da other way... everyone has a story to tell, they just need someone to listen... maybe you'll be the added positive influence in young boy's life that he needs to encourage him... ~DD

Amadeo said...

I would say don't worry about it and all that...but sometimes I forgot that dark alleys and such have totally different meanings for men and women...oh and uh...as a B'more Vet (love the phonetic spelling) everywhere is close to the Corner and the Wire. My artsy stomping grounds was Charles Village and my Hood peoples are walking distance from there. B'more is pockets for real.

Little Brown Girl said...

GIRLLLL!!! Is you crazy? Be nice, speak, chat it up our front if you must but please for the love of God don't be letting random *africans* from around the way in W. B'more be kicking it in your crib. You done feed him too...he gone be sniffin around your crib on a regular now. Please be careful and buy you some mace!

Madam DLBG said...

Glad yo treated dude with respect nd like another person, butttttttttt, in this day and age, ya gotta be careful, PERIOD, regardless of his background. Hell, he was probably safer than a man wit a college degree, we all know it's the one's u least expect that ar teh craziest!!

Oh, I just got Racheal Ray's ewest cookbook!!!

Blah Blah Blah said...

He ain't did nothing and you still in one piece because his first visit was to stake out the place...

OR

Dude just need someone new to shoot the shit with...and you needed someone to fix yo shit.

OR

He's fine and your horny and even though he's a bird... you like that thug luvin'... And you ain't too much mind havin' someone to try your recipes on...lol

Either way... I like what you did. I wouldn't have... but I would have thought about it.. :-)

onefromphilly said...

Good for you for treating Jeffrey like a person. But just to be on the side of caution, let him think that you have 10 brothers and a whole slew of crazy azz cousins, who visit frequently, that want to kill any African who pushes up on you.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...Whatev, Jeff can be our designated driver!


Jarrod...Glad to be here to welcome you your first time here. ;)


Blu...Always gotta be cautious, but also decent. Tough balance...especially in this town. lol


1969...I know! I know! I need discipline and a good talking to. That's why I told yall...cuz if I told my brothers they'd be on the next thing smoking. lol


DD...We neighbors? lol Ya know, when I had my "Dangerous Minds" moment where Ii gave him the books, I was thinking the same thing...positive influence...and organized bedroom. :)


Amadeo...You do realize I said that Corner/Wire shit more as a self-affirmation than anything! The "pockets" are insane over here! There's a halfway house for fcuk's sake! The first time I drove in the city by myself this summer I ended up where Loch Raven meets Greenmount and I swear I almost ran down one of the Barksdales! We'll have to do CVill sushi some time. ;)


RD...Mace. That's good. I will. And yes, clearly I'm crazy.


Madam...I swear, had this phD ngga in here the other day...and you know that lazy muhfucka stepped right around all the pieces of my dresser and kept it moving. :)


Blah...You know it's all of the above..except I could do without the thug lovin. But I can see why chicks are drawn to thugs. They are mad honest and real and like 'take it or leave i,' 'I am what I am'. It's the whole violent thing that trips me up.


OnePhilly...I know...he did ask me if I had relatives here when we first met. I need to start parading my boys over...before 9pm. lol

Anonymous said...

LOL@onefromphilly! I tend to agree with most of the other posters. I really appreciate your openess with dude BUT being female and single, don't let him or any new acqaintance in your pad without a good bit of background info on the person and taking onefromphilly's advice wouldn't hurt either!

Charles said...

Damn...I'm glad you're still in one piece. I make it a habit to know the people I let into my crib, cause ain't no telling what some people will do. I like the way you told that too..it was interesting...

Anonymous said...

I'm willing to bit that a part of you got just a little moist. Maybe. Anonymous Detroit.

Anonymous said...

man I thought it was "story" when I first started reading it. Slow me didnt figure out it was some real shit till I was half way done reading.

So...Wise...Sista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
So...Wise...Sista said...

Claudia...Open=Dumb. Thanks for the tough love. ;)


Charles... See, I figured if I told the story well enough I wouldn't catch much hell. lol


Babe...Thanks. This woulda been a whole different PSA if there was no quid pro quo. Thank God for I.kea.


Detroit...You wrong for that...and oddly, no. Not even a lil. But maybe a lil when I saw him in his lil school clothes that on day. OK and def when the dresser was done.;)


Eb...Dont worry...I be trying to confuse folk. It's real talk, but first and foremost it's for entertainment purposes!

expressions of mirth said...

Good for you girl! I know way too many people like Jeffrey, and you'll be surprised how many are just trying to do right. Everybody's got a hustle, legal or not. Just make sure you've got pepper spray in your pocket at all times and you know where ALL the cutlery is in your apartment! Nice ain't gotta mean stupid, nahmean? ;)

expressions of mirth said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
So...Wise...Sista said...

Chanel...a lil habit I picked up while living in Brooklyn...I carry a big (coincidentally, also I.kea) knife with me anytime there's an unexpected buzz at the door. Throw on a sweatshirt and hide that jammie up my sleeve. Honest to God, I do that shit even when I knew it's just the UPS guy. :)

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

I.Kea furniture is the biggest pain in the ass.

aquababie said...

i agree with everyone else. i'm all for treating folk like folk, but be careful miss.

Anonymous said...

i love rachel ray ... you should try her mexican lasagna ... but use lo carb tortillas instead of the real ones ... its amaaazing... love readin your blog as always its addictive!

expressions of mirth said...

It's funny, people always complain about it, but Ikea always comes through in a pinch. As do big-ass knives....heeee!

Adei von K said...

Wow. Ummmm, I'm with you. I think I'm more on the 'naivete' tip though..."Oh, he's trying to get his life together, of COURSE he can come in!" I think it was bomb that you invited him in though, they (thugs?) are people too

SunshineMama said...

Awww, Wise? I have to say this story was just precious. I'm glad you didn't treat him like a convict, now obviously had the story taken a different direction, I wouldn't be sayin that but since it didn't, I loved it! Or maybe I just have a thug weakness. But thugs are people too. He was probably so happy to talk to you. ...Feedin people chicken pesto and turkey cheeseburgers...that is k'yute (cute)!

La said...

Glad you treated him like a person and not a case number. To be honest, any dude willing to tell you his life story and put together your furniture probably isn't gonna kill you. More than likely, he probably kill any person that looks like they MIGHT wanna come in your crib and kill you. LOL I like Sunshinemama can admit to more than a passing thug passion in my younger days and though I refuse to date them anymore I will say this; they'll take care of you like no other. I'm sure he'll remember you treating him like a human being for a long time. And I'm even more sure that if you ever have some drama to pop off, he'll probably not think twice before risking his probation to make sure you're taken care of. Good for you not treating him like the rest of society would.

Miz JJ said...

You gotta trust your instincts. Good on you for trying not treating him like a criminal. He's obviously more than that.

Jameil said...

omg!!!! i just had to comment again b/c dammit!! amber ilene said try her mexican lasagna!! yes!!!!!!!! that shit is gooder than a mug!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! omg! fab.u.lous.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Rev...It's such a con. It's not even like they're all that cheap...but for some reason it seems like a good idea to walk thru a crowded azz showroom, then find your shit in the warehouse, schlep it home, and then assemble it. But I think in some ways I was just excited to actually be loading my shit into my car and not getting on a free shuttle from Port Authority to Eliz, NJ. lol

Aqua...Love the new pic!


AI...Thanks girlie! Yo, that Mex lasagna recipe looks dope...but it's cool without any ricotta?


Chanel...There's very little you cant find in that place...they sell mace? lol


Stace, girl I love you cuz you remind me so much of one of my best friends. I was telling her yesterday about my thug hospitality and she was like, 'You know me...I do shit like all the time, like, whatever. I woulda been asking him all about his drug days...' I'm beginning to see where my influences are. lol


Sunshine...I've missed you mama! Truth be told I was happy to talk to him too after a boring azz 3 hour class...woman can't live on academia alone. lol


LA...Ya know, he approached me like a human so that's how I treated him. He wasnt on no, 'Ay, yo ma!' nonsense, so despite knowing his past I still felt like he wasnt gonna turn on me in my crib...Let's just hope my instincts dont give out on me any time soon. lol

Miz JJ...Right on!

Jameil...Whenever you come to B-Easy with CNel and dem, shall we sit around and cook all day or go get drunk? Your call. lol

Angie said...

Ok missy! Let that be your last "let a loon into my house" night. You get one a year and you have used that mutha up!

But it is a trip cheking out how peoples lives turn out so crazy hunh?

Mr.Slish said...

That was a good thing you did..Africans reaching out to one another without judgements is beautiful...Please don't stop reaching. Btw How yu gonna move and not tell anybody!!!

CNEL said...

Welcome to Baltimore.

"Harm City" has it's charms which on the converse does make it "Charm City"

"Bodymore, Murdaland" is just like a lot of other urban areas suffering from lack of, and too many misdirected politicos, which makes "Baltimore, Maryland" like tons of other places.

Yes, please be a bit more careful with who you associate with.

Oh and you can come take me to Tambers or Alonso's or XandO's.

Yes, Jameil, Eps, you and I must get together, whenever Eps is home, and J brings her tail down here.

EqualOpportunityCrush said...

damn, i've been MIA. missed your blog!! Gotta love you for having the balls to invite some random African to put together your ikea joint!! lol sounds like some dumb shit i would do.. yes, it's called being a pseudo social worker. but it's all good. just don't make it a habit.

so you moved to Bmore, eh?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Angie...I consulted the rule book and you ARE allowed a redo on "Loon Night"...but I'll prob save it for a rainy day. lol


Slish...I won't stop reaching...will reach for the blade if need be. lol I know you didn't get the memo...but I did kinda allude to my temporary departure. But this by no account means I should be deleted from the NYC blogger invite list!


CNelly...Pls tell me I can buy a "Bodymore" tshirt somewhere!
"Oh and you can come take me to Tambers or Alonso's or XandO's."
Any time!


EqOpp...I think I may change my major to social work. ;) What you know 'bout B-More?

Anonymous said...

welcome to B-more. You actually round my way, ( near Johns Hopkins)

Hopefully you get a chance to enjoy what the "greatest city in the world" has to offer...lol


been lurking for a minute, thought i'd say whaddup

So...Wise...Sista said...

Ab...Thanks for the welcome! I like your MS page. Holla at me...I need a 'sushi on St Paul St.' buddy. lol

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers