Friday, September 08, 2006

Yo Homo

So I'm at this CBC party in DC the other night. I make it there at the tailend of the open bar ("Excuse me, sweetie, can you order me a vodka/cran while you're up there, pls. Thanks!"). PERFECT, cuz they played me at the door, pretending that the email invite made any mention of the fact that the party was $10 without the printout. Nice hustle.

So they owed me the drink anyway, and they gave me a decent gratuity in the form of dope music. I'm impressed. I've not been out in DC much, so I wasn't sure if I should expect Chuck Brown to appear from behind the DJ booth...if you'd need to remove your shoes, relinquish any liquid and gel from your purse, and walk thru security...or if it would appear as if I was at an E Lynn Harris book release party.

If anything, it was more like the latter.

I wish I had brought my boy Flavius...one of my oldest friends, who also happens to live right outside DC. Oh and he's gay...but not like Marce.llus from Big Brother Allstars gay...more like, Grant H!ll gay.

So I was feeling the crowd...it's been a while since I've been to a good buppie set. I'm just now growing out of my 'I-prefer-dudes-in-suits-' phase, but I still get all tingly when surrounded by Brooks Brothers brothas. Nice looking guys with nicely tapered goatees and edge ups. Shiny azz shoes. And the women were not to be outdone in their impossible heels, fly azz wraps and twists and locs, and well-moisturized knees.

Present company included.

So I'm standing surveying the crowd, which at this point is mostly congregated along the walls, at the bar and along the couches on the fringes (chicks always have a monopoly on those seats for some reason). That's when I notice the generous gay/straight ratio. Obviously the rainbow numbers are particularly high in DC and in GayTL, so it makes sense that there can't POSSIBLY be enough exclusively gay spots in all of DC to accommodate all the gays. This overlap makes sense. But I'll tell you what doesnt...

[Hold up...quick digression...as I'm noticing the gays, these two guys walk up near me both double-fisting Coronas. Apparently they each bought one for the other without knowing that the other had bought one for the other. Get it? I should mention these men appear straight. So I say to the one closest to me... "I'll take that off your hands," and he hands it to me. I laugh and decline. He insists. I decline. He turns back to his boy, who is eying me, then turns back to me maybe 5 minutes later to chat. I say, 'Were you really going to give me that?' He says, yes. I say, 'Well, what's your name? I couldn't possibly take a drink from a guy without first being properly introduced.' His generosity completes my self-imposed 2-drink maximum.]

OK...so what doesn't make sense about integrated social gatherings is the well-dressed man who steps to me later that evening.

"I was on my way out but had to come and talk to you. I don't want to be presumptuous, tho."

Wise... "How could saying hello be presumptuous?"

Suit... "That's not the presumptuous part. I wanted to ask you how you manage to look so damn fine tonight?"

Now y'all...I'm a girl, so even if it was corny, I was still flattered. I indulge him, despite wanting to immediately refer him to my boy Flavius.

Wise... "I would love to tell you that I worked hard at it, but I didn't."

He laughs. Thing of it is...I look aight, but I ain't in full head-turning mode in the LEAST. Ok, yeah, my plaid capris are adorable, my heels make my legs look really long, and if I had any cleveland it would be on full display in my collarless button down with the low, open neck. But my hair is all pulled back, I'm wearing glasses, and I'm carrying a small computer bag (sans the laptop, but I am coming straight from a biz meeting). OK, it's fly and leather and Kenny Cole, but the point is, there are plenty of women here who actually do look like Miss Negro Universe.

Suit... "I been noticing you all night and I am LOVING your style..."

Wise: "Is that a Congressional pin?" ...trying change the subject, and giving him a subtle hint that I'm not comfortable/impressed/in the mood for his attempt at hollering.

Suit... "Does it matter? Or is it what I'm about that's not on my lapel that matters?"

Wise..."To be completely honest and frank, I could care less, except that my attention is currently occupied by my vague curiosity. It's dark in here, but I think it's cute."

Suit laughs..."See I could tell by your style that you were down to earth like that. I would love to get to know more."

Wise: "Do you happen to have a biz card?" ...I was hoping to avoid giving him one of my last cards.

Suit..."You know, due to the nature of my biz I don't usually give out my card, but I can give you my number. Here, give me your phone."

Shit! I was trying to get better at this. As you all know, it's well-documented that I'm a chronic drunk dialer. But since I'm nowhere near sloshed, I put in his number but never press TALK. But he's a spry lil son of a bitch, and he quickly reaches over and puts his thumb on the button, then holds my hand on the phone to allow it to ring a few times. Shit.

This would have been fine, not a problem had I just been holding my biz phone and not the personal Bat Phone. I always let that shit go to voice. And even then it may have been cool to keep in touch if for no other reason than to be put on to other free booze opportunities. [I know they be gettin getttin fcuked up on The Hil!]

But this dude was so blatantly gay... but like, not Brian Mc.Knight of Hill Har.per gay...more like, Little Rich.ard gay. Complete with the lisp!

What in the hell? Is this the gay man's rugby... to try to pull unsuspecting straight women in integrated social situations? Will he go back to the down low den and put another notch in the playbook? [And how did he even make it into the sect? I thought you had to look straight to be considered DL] Or did he detect a dick-sucking gleam in my eye?

Whatever the case, I'm not unsuspecting. And I don't find Little Rich.ard attractive...nor particularly entertaining [only when it's the real LR and he's on tv and making no intelligible sense].

That's the last time I go out in DC without gay backup. Cuz I'm a confirmed chick magnet.

* [ps..is anyone else obsessed with the show Celeb Duets ??]

23 comments:

Blu Jewel said...

LMBAO! I feel your pain; feel the pain. It's the times we live in girl and it's so hard to look at a brutha these days without a crooked eye.

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

the gay DC population has been exploding.

no pun.

look at all the homophobic shit that goes down in the whitehouse.

you know what i'm talking about.


the very.

SunshineMama said...

hey...me...over here, I'm addicted to celebrity duets! ...so glad I'm not alone.

Jameil said...

mad you need your gay backup! hilarious. um... confused abt the gays hollerin at straights... wth? i would've taken the corona. i know they're like $15/piece in dc. well-moisturized knees? foolish! lmao! and HOLD THE HELL UP!! how you gon call hill harper AND grant hill gay? i'm ready to fight you. hard.

Adei von K said...

wise...gay guys LOVE fabulous women!! Its like, they see themselves or what they want to be! I don't want him to be LR gay though; that's not cute.

Blah Blah Blah said...

*Please put up word verification on your comments so you won't be inundated with blogger spam...

Ok...so you think Hill Harper is gay...but I looked into his eyes...gave him my I-wanna-eat-you-up-and fck-you-silly look...of course he didn't pick up on it...and NOW I know why. Damn my gay-spidey sense for not working!!!

Dick sucking gleam....so that's real? Now I know why I get approached by the homo-thugs. Matter of fact....ah, never mind...I cain't tell that story yet.

A lisp? Did he have a limp wrist and better eye-rolling moves than a 10 yo lil girl?

By the by...yea you up and moved and yea...you suck (and I ain't talking dick either)...I didn't even get one of those books you were offering up as a book sale...no after-work drink...no na-thang!

Mr.Slish said...

LOL...Girl gotta eat right? or better yet Get Good fashion tips...lol..Shiiit Wise he might make the perfect boyfriend...Can shop with yo ass alll day without wanting to strangle you..lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

Blu...It keeps up on our toes. lol But I'm just confused as to why a Sis.quo dude, who is clearly gay would try to pull a fast one. I am NOT a Dru Hill groupie. ;)


Rev...Pun absolutely intended. Politics in general is sooo homo. Near exclusive men's gatherings in DC...and Cher ain't in town? :)


Anon...How bout to send you out on the stroll and YOU can make me a lil extra on the side.


Sun...Iss Jai Rodriguez adorable or what! And why is everyone pretending that's Xena Princess Warrior or whatev she called? That is NOT the same butch azz chick!!


Jameil...You know me better than that...I took the Corona, I just played coy first before accepting it like the cheap hooch I am. I told you, the knee pic is going up on the profile next, and it's gone be real ashy. But dont be mad at me that your man crushes also have man crushes. :)

Stace...LOVE LR...just wouldn't wanna MAKE love to LR. You and me...we right here. lol


Blah...Do you know there are blogs I stopped visiting bec that damn word verification shit has me squinting all hard cuz it's so tiny, or my dyslexic azz just cant make out the damn letters!

...HHar...Well I HATE doing the whole homosexual witch hunt thing...I just thought everyone thought he was. But I'll also add that Ii also believe he has a huge pipe. Call it a hunch.

...Yes I believe there is a gleam...look at the pi of my eye. That's what it DOESNT look like. lol ::Settling in for the homothug story::

...Yes, a LISP. That cancels out the eye rolling for sure.

...I was in the City last weekend and was gonna email you to meet up, but alas you were flossing on that other coast. When's the Harlem meet up?

...And I promise I have not forgotten about your books...or the book club, for that matter.


Slish...what a mess that would be. I wouldn't stand a chance shopping with a gay dude. I be ready to go once I pillage thru H&M...and they just getting warmed up!

La said...

LMAO!!!!!! Giiiiiirl DC is awful. I've just resigned myself that when I go out in DC that 3/4 of the mildly attractive men I meet are gay. And all of the drop dead gorgeous men I meet? All of them. It's just a mess.

Anonymous said...

Maybe the dude plays for both teams. You never know.

Anonymous said...

LoL I can only read your blog in the privacy of my room, cause if I am anywhere else it might be odd for me to be laughing out loud.

The only reason I would ever want to live in D.C. is for the parties, and it could only be between the ages 20-35, after that my behind would be in Northern VA or back in MD.

LoL I have a story for you, I'm e-mailing it to you. It didn't hit me how odd it was until like now. You're going to die!

Rashan Jamal said...

I bout spit my water at the screen when you said Grant Hill gay. I thought I was the only one that thought that. LMAO

onefromphilly said...

Rember this town is full of politicians: they screw everybody.

nikki said...

lmao@philly

oh, and it pays to have gaydar here in the atl, for REAL. i ain't worried about dl brothas cuz that's nothing major to me. no, i'm worried about flirting with a guy who turns out to be gay. now THAT shit i hate. meanwhile, ain't no way i can deal with a guy flaming like that. i just prefer my man to be...a damn man.

Miz JJ said...

Hill Harper is gay? Say it ain't so. Anyhow, maybe that dude was just very metrosexual.

Anonymous said...

"OOh ohh every word in this song's gonna be about you..." Oh excuse me. It sounds like he uhh anything goes. Ready to Tangueray. Anonymous Detroit.

Knockout Zed said...

Don't fuck with the Assfuck Mafia. You'll get smacked down in PC America.

Yo, Miss Ahmad works on Celebrity Duets. Maybe she'll give some inside scoop on it.

KZ

So...Wise...Sista said...

LA...For this reason I have no expectations of meeting guys out in a cub...not in DC, not in NY, nowhere. Which is hy it's so absurd for them to be doing the approaching. lol


Eps...Switching Guy = Gay Guy


CNelly...DC is so much like NY in many ways. I couldn't live there at all.


TCas...I dont like outing famous people, but sometimes it's ok, if for no other reason than for comic relief. lol I heard this guy call into Wen.dy Willia.ms one time taking about how he had hooked up with his cousin by marriage...and that he was a ball player, who used to play in Detroit and married to a singer. So much for a blind item. lol


Philly...TRUE! Hahahahaha


Nikki...I dont even know how you (or any other single black woman) do it GayTL. lol


MizJJ...Thanks...now I'm gonna get mad hate mail from people who goggled HH to get info about his new book, and they come across my blog and accuse me of slander. For the record, I dont know his orientation...it' jut jokes folks!! (Never said it was funny.) lol


Detroit...Oh shit...was that a reference to that Tanq. commercial with the gap toothed brotha? Cuz that's exactly what this dude looked like!!


KZ...::ready to stalk Miss Ahmad::

Anonymous said...

Talk about serendipity! Nah, I don't know anything about Tony Sinclair (or the actor that plays him) except he's a UK brother. Anonymous Detroit.

GreatWhyte said...

Did he detect a dick sucking gleam in my eye? LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amadeo said...

See all this confusion and blurring of lines today make it hard for a brother to stay immaculate. I'll have to leave my chops untrimmed or forget to shine my shoes or something. I'm past the clothes of Hip-Hop past, but I don't even want to fall into Metrosexuality.

EqualOpportunityCrush said...

girl, you had me roflmbao with this entry.. between the moisturized knees and the lispy gay dude trying to holla at you.. definitely sounds like an interesting night out.. you shoulda just called him out and told him that you have a boy to hook him up with.. holla!

Anonymous said...

While reading this I was laughing, and thinking to myself how many Dl brothaz are there? Really for that matter how many DL sistaz are there? No one is talking about that, but i guess this is another ploy to destroy the black man's identity and further create a wedge between the black man and his beautiful woman. I guess it goes to show us that even 100 plus years after the first movie was made depicting black men as rapist of white women, animals that needed to be tamed and killers of whites, which turned into mass hysteria amolngst white people and gave rise to the Ku Klux Klan; we ourselves hae fallen into the same trap and what kind of life does a woman have to live to think that every black man she meets has got to be eithera dog, or even on the DL? That is bullshit! Contact the CDC and get the true facts about how the majority of black women in the US contract HIV. It is not from DL men granted there are a few who need thier assses beat for dipping chocalate and giving it to the wife, but it is more from IV drug use, and heterosex with another IV drug user not DL men. I live in Orlando Florida which is a gay city primarily white, but I am seeing more and more sistaz looking like men then I can count. I guess it's okay to be a dyke huh?

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers