Monday, November 20, 2006

Me, He, and DC

Gilbert Arenas scores 45 points and I stroll into the arena with 5:43 left in the game, just as he’s taking his final bow. Lebron is already on the bench. Defeated.

Just my luck. A hunnid bucks on tickets squandered like I got it like that. I’m so sure it’s a sign of the night ahead. DC however, had other plans for me.

I’m thinking for sure I’d get back to the whip, parked on a side street just off Union Station, and the tires would be slashed or better yet my Club would be bent in half and left on the street in lieu of the truck.

Not tonight, the car’s all in one piece, unscathed and waiting for me and my boy Cartr. We hop in, thinking for sure there’s a liq store still open in the hood. What kind of town is ghetto azz DC if there’s no after hours liqa sto?? Ok cool, well at least this feels familiar…disappointment, that is. Cuz see that’s the type of luck I’m accustomed to. Much like the left side of my hair, which refuses to play nice like the pretty right side. *sigh*

We drive on in search of a club I had no intentions of ever revisiting.

Back story: Me and my boy drive to DC for the game, and plan to hook up with another *friend* who is in town for a bday party. I dressed for a classy lounge. At the bday boy's behest, I end up at Love.

“I can’t believe I’m waiting in line for a club that will charge me $15 to get in…all for a boy.”

That’s the text I send my girl Curly while waiting outside the spot, with the sound of drunk metrosex white boys humming in my ears. Nothing against Dream/Love/whatever name you know it by. It’s a beautiful club. But I’m not the mega-club every weekend chick. Nothing against those who are. I’m not a nightlife snob by any means…unless there are durags involved, and in that case I’m stayin in and watching somebody’s marathon on MTV2.

Get inside after waiting too long (NYers SWEAR they never wait online at home so they’ll be DAMNED if they do it out of town. I am of that belief.) ...and I am pleasantly surprised to find there’s no cover.

I don’t even head straight to the bar. Cuz I’m anticipating this to be a complete waste of an evening, longing for the reliable comfort of the remote.

But soon my anxiety subsides, as one after another attractive man in v-neck and tie, pin stripes and cuff links, neat tapered edge ups, in fly square-toes parades by. It feels like forever since I’ve been in the company of so many dudes who could get it.

First floor playlist: Beyonce, Jay, Sean Paul.

Me and Cartr make our way up a flight. Settle at the bar. More boys. More booze. More boom.

Beyonce, Jay, Sean Paul.

Third floor. Puerto Rican* night? I had no idea. Cute.

Daddy Yankee and them. And that one reggaeton beat.

“You in?” I text.

“Yeah, 4th floor.”

Bypassing the pointless velvet rope, we climb yet another flight. Smoky. White people. More Puerto Ricans. An (East) Indian contingency.

Beyonce, Jay, Sean Paul.

The bar. The usual. Sipping. I’m feeling content now. The club doesn’t suck. The crowd is cool. The three song rotation is aight.

I lose Cartr momentary.

I take a sip of the Goose.

And something happens.

They play a new song. Dare I recall it as Ole Skool.

I sip again. And this time it’s Timber.lake. I’m sexy.
Ok, this is cool.

I sip some more, and the whole scene changes, and I’m feeling the club and the DC boys and even the girls in their summer ensembles and enviable curls cascading onto smooth shoulders. Even the whites have rhythm here.

I sip some more and I’m actually enjoying myself, glad I came. Not so pissed that we missed free t-shirt night at the Verizon Center.

I sip again, and I see him. In his black button down and tight jeans. Cuban tight, not rock star tight. Shorty has thighs, you see. I make out his bald head dipping in and out of my view. He’s feeling the ole skool, too.

And he’s dancing with some girls, and I’m watching and smiling and taking notes. And he’s consorting with his rainbow coalition of boys, and enjoying himself, and thank God I am too or else this would not have worked.

I politely wait until he wears out some chick and moves on to a group dance. I sidle up beside him, behind him actually, and do that ‘back to back, guess who’s dancing behind you’ thing. And he feels me without looking and we immediately step into a familiar dance that we have yet to rehearse.

He turns to me, and does the ‘hit it from the back’ dance, and I oblige. He twirls me to him for a hug.

“So good to see you, Wise.”
“I’ve missed you.”

I meet his boys. Take the birthday boy by the hand and head to the bar for shots of Patron. Really cool guy I learn, and we exchange biz cards. He’s in Law School at American, and says, we shouldn’t be strangers.

“Where’d u go?” he texts me as I return to him, reading it in front of him.

“There you are,” he says.

“We’re finally dancing,” he says, smiling, shouting in my ear.

“We danced at my crib that time.”

“Oh yeah,” he says. Pulling me in, knowing I’m being bashful.

“Your hair is so long.” I respond by tickling his baldy, the way he always likes. He plays in mine, the way I hate, today. My hair's already a mess.

You ever see the girl in the club who is dancing with some guy, her arms wrapped tight around his neck, like a Christmas bow, her eyes closed, and she’s just swaying to the music? She looks like she’s either tossed, a hopeful ho, or at a 60s sock hop with her steady.

Well, maybe, just maybe she’s just enjoying the moment. Maybe, just maybe, his hands around her waist feel like rest... and maybe, just maybe, I was exhausted, and his shoulder felt like a down pillow and I didn’t care that there were 10,000 other people watching me daydream.

Maybe, just maybe, I had a great time. Dancing. From one floor to the next, laughing and sweating and gyrating, and not caring, and kissing, and singing along, and getting low to songs I normally hate, and smiling. For hours without interruption.

Every time he leaned in, it was like fitting in the last piece of a jigsaw. Our pecks are puzzlingly perfect. Despite a background that is less so.

“When you coming home for Thanksgiving?”
“I get in Thursday night,” I respond.
“Cant wait to see you again Thursday. That is if you can pencil me in.”

Ever the azzhole, I open my cellie, open the calendar and show him that I’m booked. He laughs and pulls me in closer. Kisses my forehead and calls me cute.

And as the Sean Paul morphs into Cham morphs into Elephant Man morphs into Marley...he looks me in the eyes and sings the words to me. So I do the same.

"I don't wanna wait in vain for your love."

If only he knew that that very song is his designated ring tone in my cellie.

Gilbert Arenas scored 45 last night, and so did I. It was an MVP night, on a day I thought couldn’t be salvaged.

Cuz I don’t have good luck. I just have nights like these, followed by early morning text messages, then calls from the airport just before departure.

I have lulls in the reality of a long distance fantasy world, in which I can enjoy the here and now.

Then why am I preoccupied with the ‘there and then’?

Why cant I just enjoy the moments?

Why I always gotta take the L?

Cuz I feel like I'm outta luck.

*In Upstate NY where I’m from all Latinos are Puerto Rican. I never met a Mexican or Dominican until college. So references to them as such are more regional than it is politically incorrect and short sighted, ok? Cool.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww Madam Wise, u don't have to take the "L"...:-(...if at any point you enjoyed your night there was truly no "L" taken :-)

LOL @ the puertorican Latino disclaimer

Um, the law in DC is all liquor stores are to be closed by ten...MD and VA stay open till mindnite...sometimes.

Anonymous said...

"I have lulls in the reality of a long distance fantasy world, in which I can enjoy the here and now."

It's so much easier to take that break from reality, into indulge.
That temporary contentment is sometimes that bomb ish.

I'm still laughing at the disclaimer, too.

Mr.Slish said...

You know what Wise..I think you take L's because you choose to...) Its the learning you appreciate. Once you've mastered that specific game. You play again. Never repeating the same mistake twice..:)

Thats my girl...lol

Anonymous said...

"Then why am I preoccupied with the ‘there and then’?"

Because the there and then feels a whole lot safer than anything else.

Miz JJ said...

Enjoy the moments. They do not last nearly long enough.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I know this line...
"Well, maybe, just maybe she’s just enjoying the moment."

Sounds like a cool night... if for no other reason than the feeling like you've finally found the piece...
"like fitting in the last piece of a jigsaw."

Little Brown Girl said...

I am so feeling this post...maybe I need to carry my azz to Love...on second thought (I hate that place), but it was good reading about your excitement.

Do keep us/me/we posted...Beautiful!!! Absolutely!!!

Tenacious said...

My first time at your blog and I'm delighted by your story, excellent writing :)

So...Wise...Sista said...

Madam...thanks for the perspective. And you cant possibly expect me to belief that in a black town, one riddled with politicians no less, dont have no afterhours liqa spots!

CNel...it soooo is the bomb...which is why when it's gone it SUCKS. And dont be laughing at my boriqua-centric Latino point of reference. lol

Oh Uncle Slishy...YOU are the wise one, esp in matters of the heart. But I'm a real 'bottomline' chick. If in the end it's not the ideal situation then even the fun parts feel like Ls.

Eps...You might be on to something.

MizJJ...I wish I had that chip in my brain...but I'm actually convinced I got ADD. No joke. Or just a strong sense of reality. And the reality is that I live here and he lives there.

Oh Blah...you have no idea. Being with him always feels like finding "the piece," and then when it (or he) is gone, it's just a puzzle with a whole in it again. *sigh*

RD...I went to Love for the first time CBC weekend, and was like, ok cool, I've had my obligatory Dream/Love experience. I'm cool, dont ever have to come back. But I was glad I kept an open mind when invited this weekend. lol After this post I am officially not giving it much more thought...until I see him again. It's way too difficult just existing having all these feelings and no where to put them. :( ...Whatever...expect a post-Thanksgiving recap! ;)

Tenacious...Thanks! Esp since I think the same of you now that I've visited. :)

Jameil said...

on the *, that's funny cuz i never met many ricans until i went to hampton. it was all mexicans and salvadorans.

tossed, a hopeful ho, or at a 60s sock hop with her steady?!?!?!? oh the hilarity!! hahahahaha.

this is the cutest story ever!! love it.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil says..."tossed, a hopeful ho, or at a 60s sock hop with her steady?!?!?!? oh the hilarity!! hahahahaha."

I swear I felt like all of the above. I was so self-conscious about it, like, 'Oh no! My eyes are literally closed, son. I am THAT girl.' :) Glad u liked it. ;)

Salvadoran? Not even in NY have I met any of those I dont think. lol

Amadeo said...

I myself tend to enjoy and relish the moments before. Like holding the first bite in your mouth for a minute before you chew...who knows how the meal will end?

nikki said...

I LOVE THIS POST!

man, i was right DERE. here's hoping i get to read more about HIM.

Blu Jewel said...

thanks for the recent stop by's. it's nice that you've come by to visit and i hope you keep coming. i'll be sure to catch up on your blogs

Adei von K said...

damn that post was bomb.
i used to ride on those chicks who danced as if no-one was watching until i realized just that: they were dancing like no-one was watching. isn't that the way its supposed to be? awwww, get it.

Sherlon Christie said...

You brought back some nice memmories of DREAM (I don't care what the hell they call the club now). I need to visit D.C. again...very soon.

-_- said...

I know - KNOW - how you feel about being out of luck.
I don't believe in luck but I know that feeling.
GAH!

-_- said...

And look at you, MISS GOURMET...bout almond salmon and couscous...teach ME how to cook that ish!!!!

Anonymous said...

yo...you had me right there with you on the top floor of dream/love/whatever. makes me miss dc and all the fly coloreds. i would have parked it on the third, tho (you wrong for the puerto rican asterisk).

Veronica Marché said...

I've read the post in its entirety, pondered its lesson, realized the similarities in my life and...

I'm still cracking the fcuk up at "hopeful ho."

I hate you. Oh how I hate you. Lol.

M-Dubb said...

I felt like I was there with you. But you didn't back you booty up into my back (of leg, being that's where it woulda landed on me... lol)

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo…sounds like the inner workings of a realist. ;)

Nikki…Here’s hoping you don’t! After posts like that I be feeling all vulnerable and shit. Lol

Thanks Blu!

SPC…Holla at me when you go. I’ll play wing-girl for you. ;)

Solitaire…When shit goes wrong ALL the damn time, it’s almost better to minimize it by calling it ‘luck.’ PS…I’ma hook you up with the recipe.

Anon…Boriqua! Yo in my hometown, on the eastside all the street signs ate written in Puerto Rican. Avenido Verde. Lol

Duck…You laugh bec you know of what, or should I say of whom I speak. lol

M-Eazy…You didn’t feel me on your leg, boo? Right below your kneecap? You thought was just someone passing by? Naw that was my azz, man!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers