Thursday, May 03, 2007

DIVERGENT PATHS

Every day I listen to a national radio program, partly because I enjoy the content, but mostly because the executive producer is a very good friend of mine.

Well, used to be a very good friend.

We started working at the network together. Started on the same day, on different programs, but our paths crossed in the copy room and we were inseparable from that moment. She was the best friend I never had. I mean, she was more like me than any of my best friends ever were…and well, I think having a friend like me is pretty cool.

Similar but not. I come from a large, tight family…she from an isolated abusive one. On the west coast. While most of my childhood belongings were (and still remain) stored at my parents’ crib, everything she had was piled into her tiny uptown studio.

She got the job from a hook up. Not that she didn’t work hard, she sure as hell did. She’s one of those people whose life depends on their success. Through that constant hustle she found a well-connected mentor who helped show her the way. I had no mentors, no guidance really.

Difference was, she had no safety net. I, on the other hand, though ambitious, always felt comforted by the support of my family and friends.

We both soon became quite disillusioned by the company, and the field in general. When given the opportunity, I got out of there, and created a new way for myself, with her help. She stayed, despite being miserable, and almost getting shipped off to cover the war. I used to go over and make her breakfast on the days she didn’t wanna get out of bed and go to work.

I listen to this radio show everyday because she has made quite a path for herself. Climbed to the top of the heap. And is doing a hell of a job doing it.

I listen and laugh at the guests on the program that we both met at the same event, or that I recognize as her professors from undergrad, or that I know she idolizes. People she has obviously kept in touch with over the years, and who would need a hint at why they know me.

I do not envy her success. I’m proud as fcuk of her. Wish I could call her up and tell her so. But we had a massive fall out a few years back… one that im pretty sure will be healed after some time. Not enough has elapsed just yet.

But I do envy the fact that she followed thru enough to achieve her status. I don’t know if she’s happy doing it. There are so many other things I know she’d rather be doing. She was always forced to define herself by her success. I had to one time explain to her that running errands for newswriters was not her “livelihood.” But she has finally reached a point where she can look back at her abusers and have some clout to back up an adamant Eff You!

Today as I listened to the program and heard the voice of a vet in the biz - who one time scolded me so badly I had to call my damn mom - I laughed out loud. My ex-best friend is using her resources. Just like I am, only in a completely different realm.

I realized very early on that professional success was not something that would ever, ever, ever make me happy. Not even content. It’s just not that important to me. Nevertheless, I work hard at whatever I do, and try to find projects that fulfill me. But beyond needing to maintain a livelihood that includes a roof over my head and turkey burgers in my freezer, I’m not what you’d call a climber. (that's not to say that I'm content at the bottom!)

Not everyone shares my perspective, which makes it hard living against public consensus. I’m at the age where most of my friends who have been grinding in one way or another are beginning to reach their pinnacles. Dissertations defended. EIC titles. I’ve been there and done that a few times over already. And it doesn’t phase me in the least. I’m back in school now for many reasons, truthfully, the least of which is for the benefits of another degree. But that’s what people expect to be my conclusion.

And unfortunately, some days, like today, I feel unaccomplished.

I’m not career-obsessed. I’ve never wanted to be just one thing when I grow up. That’s just not my passion. Well, except maybe a mom and wife. Maybe that’s why I feel funny today. Because she has climbed to professional success (whether it makes her happy or not), and I have yet to reach my personal one.

17 comments:

Amadeo said...

I had a similar feeling chilling with some married couples in their nice home with their kid running around.

I don't make as much as I'd like, though I make more than plenty in my position...what I want is the job so much as the "real" things to spend it on...then again I have friends who got married, had kids and then things fell apart.

Jameil said...

i'm one of those career-driven people but i'm not willing to let my career drive me out of a family-life. there are soooooooooo many divorced and never married black journalists and i just really don't have a desire to fulfill that stat. but i HAVE to have career success and make milestones. i do have a feeling my priorities will shift in the next 5 years, though. its funny that you brought this up b/c i was just thinking the other day how i realized not everyone grew up wanting to take over the world.

Anonymous said...

I feel like that too. There are times I just want to graduate and go teach. I do not really have high professional career goals. I do not want to be a CEO or some high roller like that. I justwant to do something that makes me happy and provides for my needs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Others do not understand it. They want ot be heads of the most prestigous (sp) colleges and university. I would be completely happy teaching high school and teaching one or two courses. I could also see myself just excavating. I just dont need a fancy title to validate me.

Anonymous said...

Well...are you going to move in the family direction, or stay put where you are?

Unknown said...

What *is* your passion?

Anonymous said...

Food for thought Ms. Wise.

Lawd knows finishing junior year, shipping out for an internship, turning 21 is about to make me evaluate things.

There are days where I think to myself I want to work in a top 10 market, make it to network, or go to law school, or teach, or combine the multiple passions and desires and there are days when I stay looking at NY Times Weddings and Celebrations,and dreaming of paternity leave. I told my friends I want someone to be on my broadcast and to utter, "I'm so and so in for CNEL whose on paternity leave." HaHa.

It does make one think, what will equal contentment, what will make one feel their life is whole.

Anonymous said...

im not real career-driven either.. i do my best in my position.. but my family & friends are what drive me..

just a thought.. if u plan to make ammends w/ ur ex-bestfriend.. there's no time like the present.. u wait too long.. then u might miss that chance....

Anonymous said...

I've never been career driven. I was married with kids. I am now single and living life like there is no tomorrow....
However, I did go visit a "friend" this past weekend and damn if Maryland doesn't make me feel like acquiring a family again... promises of being kept, taken care of, being secure, stayed and settled...well...for a quick minute this weekend... I felt a little unaccomplished...
Then I realized that if I haven't wanted it to begin with then why am I wanting it now and feeling "less" because I don't have what I thought I was fine without?
Yea, get's confusing when your living life like me... basically..driving blind... feel me?

Da Arsonist said...

You just have to do you Wise. What is for you is for you and until it is achieved you are still going through preparation.

The sweet is never truely sweet, unless you've tasted the sour.

.....Ghost

La said...

Hmmm, well, speaking as someone who is more disturbingly ambitious than most people dare to be and who measures her worth based on her professional achievements, I'd have to say, I've always envied The Other women. You know, the ones who could be perfectly content being a wife and mother. Ever so often when I let myself daydream about being wifey, I realize that I'd never be completely content just being someones wife, my kid's mother, no matter how great I was at it.

And then I feel so damn guilty.

I mean, there are women who would kill to be married, to raise kids, and here I am saying it's not enough?

Its a hard balance really.

Sure, I'm ambitious. And when I look around the room and realize that I'm the only female/youngest/only minority/smartest/highest piad there, it makes me feel validated that all my stress and grinding and networking wasn't in vain. But still a part of me wishes I could be that woman who doesn't picture being home to cook and clean for her family and instantly get the feeling of being trapped. I wish I could be the type that sees a young mom in the middle of the day, surrounded by her three kids all under 5, taking them on her errands for the day and smile thinking she must have a great life. Instead, I shudder because all I see is my greatest fear realized, to become nothing more than so and so's mom with my hair pulled back in a messy bun, no makeup and a pudding stain on my shirt.

Damn that was a long ass comment. Shoulda emailed, lol.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Funny that most people (and a good portion of yall) see the issue as one or the other. Either you're a CEO or you're a PTA parent.

Also interesting that the "Others" tend to have a "face". To quote my girl LA..."so and so's mom with my hair pulled back in a messy bun, no makeup and a pudding stain on my shirt," for example. But my point is BALANCE.

Truth is, I've owned my own biz for going on 5 years now, and have reached some nice professional plateaus. If I had to pick 5 words to describe me one of them would certainly be "ambitious." But I dont define myself or my success by my professional achievements.

Typically my generation is super amped by professional climbing, and I had to find my own way in finding my own balance.

So the moral of the story is much like Young said..."You just have to do you [Wise]. What is for you is for you and until it is achieved you are still going through preparation."

So the challenge... particularly for my young fellow bloggers...is to find your own way, on your own terms!

[What yall know about a whole blog entry disguised as a comment.] :)

Jonzee said...

A couple of years, God made me sit down. I had so much ambition, it was eating me alive and I couldn't focus. It was all about the prestige of the organization doing housing--my life's work. I started getting physically ill--every morning. I was forced to quit. And I spent nearly a year with three shitty jobs that didn't amount to shit.

Two years later on the verge of my M.S. next week, I am still ambitious. Still taking on many projects, but with focus. I now really understand that my lack of contentedness was my failing to remember my mothers one lesson "social, spiritual and work balance is a happy soul". I embraced it and wow. I found love, a possible great job, and a focus.

I too have those moments of feeling like I am failing, but one must run, as you know, there own race. Forget everybody else.

Anonymous said...

I had 2 younger sisters, I say 2 because 1 died some years ago as a result of breast cancer. I remember my now deceased sister confiding in me that she had no burning ambitions at all. She was just contented to having a good job, money to spend and lots of fun, well tons of fun. The youngest of the 2 was studying medicine at the time. She always had a burning desire to become a doctor and is now doing well in her field.
My only burning desire was to have children....funny eh! I made all my plans around having children...guess my hormones were wild then.
Call your friend and tell her just how proud you are of her. Maybe that is just what she needs at this moment. Life is just too short for indifference. Sometimes relationships become so intense that they explode...they probably have to explode in order to grow and become stronger.
Call her.

nikki said...

i definitely know how you feel. i get that way sometimes too. i never imagined i would STILL be in school seeking out my undergrad degree. meanwhile, sistas i went to school with are doing their thing. they're where they wanna be professionally. what makes it alright for me is the realization that everyone has to go through their lives at their own paces. i'm where i am right now in preparation for what i'm gonna be doing later. i'm supposed to be here, you know?

Little Brown Girl said...

I can honestly say that i completely relate to this post. I would probably be considered extremely successful by societies standards and while the acomplishment of being here is somewhat satisfying, being here only speaks to a small portion of all the things that I am really passionate about...all the things I want to do with my life. Now, as I look directly into the eyes of 34, I am feeling like I am running out of time. To leave this place to embark on the next passion seems ridiculous to others and so I sit here twiddling my thumbs but silently praying for the strength and courage to step out there and make my dreams happen (professionally and personally). Entrepreneur; Praying for my heart to open completely to love so I can become a good wife; so many things...so little time!

Keep your head up Momma!!! as long as you stay true to you, you'll always have peace!

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate to this post. Recently I have realized that I'm not a crazy-obsessed career climber. I do want to find fulfillment in what I do for a living, but I don't need to be a multimillionare media mogul like Oprah. I have so many interests, like you, and I try to remind myself that as long as I keep exploring all these sides of myself, I will always be content. Which is all I really want. The rest will come with time. Ask me tomorrow if I'm still as zen about this as I seem to be right now.

sj-the-infamous said...

thank you for verbalizing what i've been feeling for so long....

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers