Wednesday, June 13, 2007

On The Couch

Jameil has been getting her Barb Walters on this week. And I am officially on the couch…

1) what is the stupidest thing you did in your 20s?


The stupidest thing I did in my 20s was not purchasing the co-op I rented when I first moved to NYC.

::squiggly lines, squiggly lines::

I got off the D train at a stop in Brooklyn that I never heard of and stepped into a neighborhood I had no idea existed. Flatbush. Except this wasn’t rowdy yardies in mesh tanks and open toed sandals, Flatbush, this was residential, upper middle class Flatbush, complete with large homes and lush green lawns (ok, it wasn’t the Hamptons or nothing, but you feel me).

E. 19th St btwn Foster and Newkirk. Beautiful 1 bedroom co-op (which was a pain in the ass to get into. We had to o thru a review board in order to rent from the owners, this really nice Caribbean couple who was cool with my soon to be crazy roommate’s family).

It’s beaaaaauuuuutiful! Hardwood floors and granite countertops and a really large bedroom (the roomie held down the large living room with a Chinese divider thingy).

And I recall my roomie’s dad mentions that maybe one day I’ll buy the place...

It’s $40,000.

Need I even go on? *sigh*

Maybe this isn’t really a mistake, because at 21 years old I didn’t know the first thing about investing, and didn’t know the second thing about how I could ever afford it.

[Honorable Mention: Leaving a job with no plan at age 24. I bounced back and all, but lost a lot in the process, including eventually a true love.]

2) what are the best and worst lines you've ever heard?


I wouldn’t say it was a line, per se, but Memorial Day weekend I was walking down the block after a night out and there was a bunch of people out, just chillin. I walk by a group of guys sitting on a stoop and some muhfcuka GRABS MY ARM. Dudes still do that shit???? And that’s exactly what I said to him, and of course he tried to dismiss me and joke to his boys. But in my imagination, I envision him thinking that I would stop, gaze into his eyes, and bend over right there on the block.

Funny thing is, if I had, I bet his bitch azz wouldn’t know what to do.

The best line I’ve heard in a while was from that sexy ass Mc.Nulty on the Wire. He looks me up and down and asked me if I was married. I said, ‘Wow, did you just propose to me? I think we’re engaged.’ And he said, ‘Let’s do it, man!’ in that drunk/dirty brit accent (which by the way I normally abhor (sorry My Neil))

3) if you could do any job in the world without having to worry about money, what would it be?


I would be my own boss.

Oh, I’m already that?

Um, I would own and operate a media conglomerate.

Oh yeah, and a writer.

Oh, I'm already that?

I'd be a productive one.

4) say your house is on fire and all your pictures and birth certificate, etc are safe, then what's the one thing you take?


I’m practical if nothing else. Sentimental things like a photo of my dad, or my Bible, or journals mean a lot to me, but they’re things I don’t even think about or use on a daily basis.

So I say all that to say I’d take this...


5) what is your favorite thing to buy and that you know you should stop but you just can't?


What should I stop buying but just can’t? Gas! How bout that.

Well, I’m fairly thrifty, but I must say that I spend a bit much on shit for the house. Like, get me in T@rget and it’s a wrap. Ditto with food. If you have a Wegman’s grocery store in your town, then you know what I’m sayin.

I also tend to go spend well beyond my means when traveling. Speaking of traveling…

bonus: tell us one thing that should've stayed in vegas but you're going to tell us anyway! :)

Um…I’ll keep it brief…

Me, at the spa, after a sauna and hot stone massage, naked in the hot tub, much to the delight of a group of Midwesterners.

Sorry, no photos. :(

PS...If you wanna be intvw'd I'll try:)

29 comments:

Amadeo said...

No Pictures Booooooooooooooo.

In the event of a fire, I'm grabbing my comic books...they might be worth some money. If not I'll have something to read.

Anonymous said...

You're hilarious.

I think investing and learning how to be smart financially is one of those things you don't necessarily get in college, but you should. All the Gen Ed classes should be designed to teach the basics in stuff like that.

Jameil said...

ok i heard that story before but 40k?!?!?!?!? i did NOT know that part! i know i'm not helping but wtf? yo hire me at your media conglomerate. but your money gotta be straight. better yet, let's collab. clearly when you took that pic, my blog should've been on your screen. lmao@ gas. i always go insane while traveling too. its so stupid. i'm such a show off. i'm quite curious to see how i'd be in miami or some other crazy environment.

Anonymous said...

i'm not convinced that u don't have photos of ur vegas skinny-dip. i'll email separately.

what r the odds - the only time i've ever visited NY i stayed at a relative's place in Flatbush. tht was 1987, so wise, our linking up has been in the cards for 20 years now. fancy that.

and thnkfully i don't hv a brit accent :o)

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo...That's what i'm talking about...PRACTICAL!

CNelly...You're right. I bet if I had mentioned it to my parents they too would have given me a crash course in "Gyal you crazy! Ya betta beg, borrow and steal fi dat downpay!" lol

Jameil...yeah girl. 40. I still dont believe it's true. He coulda been lying, but nonetheless, let somebody talk that mess to me TODAY and Ima at least inquire. But in my defense, if there is such a thing, fresh out of college my credit was in the crapper, so I dismissed that shit like I didnt have a fighting chance.

You GOTTA do MIA or Vegas or somewhere cuz it's then you can at least rightfully justify the balling out of control!

My Neil...I'll be checking my inbox periodically. ;)

20 years, huh? How much longer?

Miz JJ said...

I know you have a better story than that.

I might try this one out.

So...Wise...Sista said...

MIzJJ...I plead the 5th. :)

If you want me to intvw you I will. The beauty of Jameil's intvws is that she asks questions based on details she recalls from reading people's blogs. So if anyone wants to be intvw I'll do what I can or call in for reinforcements!

Anonymous said...

NIce voyuer trip into Wise's life...
*slowly creeping out the door...like I was neva here*

bloopty!

Southerner in Suomi said...

Interview me. I don't think I'm very interesting, but I'll have lots of retarded crazy answers that'll make you laugh. lol.

La said...

Target is like a goddamm black hole for my check. Seriously, I surrender my wallet at the door, otherwise it's a wrap for me.

About that co-op... Oh, honey...

yeah and I'm not believing there isn't more to that story than that...

And Jam, you GOTTA do it big on at least one trip. I vote Vegas; there's no bigger ostentatious display of ballin' than that. Let's go! LOL

Interview me Wise. And don't include the words "heal nigga" or "it's ok to cry". 'Preciate it,lol

nikki said...

i'm feeling this interview. definitely hit me up.

damn@co-op. that's 'florida evans' damn right there...

So...Wise...Sista said...

Hey was that blah sneaking out the back door! That heffa...

Ok VDiz...you're on the hot seat:

1. What's the last lie you told?

2. You're a beer chick. Tell us what you were drinking the lat time you had drunk sex.

3. Which physical attribute of yours would shatter you most if altered?

4. You got a choice, radio or TV for the rest of your life?

So...Wise...Sista said...

LA...stay out my biz! Speaking of Vegas. I pose the same question to you...

1. Vegas...spill it!

2. Whats been most useful to your career, your beauty or your brains (not at all compromising either one)

3. You ever get your azz kicked? If no, what's the biggest brawl you ever been in?

4. Name 5 cities you never been to but want to and why?

5. How do you say 'ngga' in Spanish?

So...Wise...Sista said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
So...Wise...Sista said...

Nikki...VERY florida evans...particularly bec the next crib i moved to was a harlem slum. lol

Alrighty...

1. Whats the worst whupping you ever got from your Granny?

2. Whats the biggest thing stopping you from being a published author?

3.What was your wedding like?

4. Name 3 deal breakers when it comes to potential bedfellows.

5. If you could make one change in your life, that could not be reversed later, what would it be?

Nikki...you are OFF the hot seat.

GreatWhyte said...

Interview, please! **holding my hand out like a kid waiting for candy**

So...Wise...Sista said...

X...you ready?

1. Whats your relationship like with your boo's daughter? Bonus question...where in the hell was she that day y'all went to lunch all day after church?! lol

2. Tell us a dirty little pharmacy secret.

3. What happened to your ex-fiance?

4. When was the last time you saw your mom smile?

5. Have you made it to a strip club yet? :)

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

hit me.

So...Wise...Sista said...

YES this why will fun!!

Rev...

1. What's the first instrument you ever picked up?

2. In your opinion which critically acclaimed artist do you think actually sucks?

3. Where did you grow up? What was your childhood like?

4. What attracts you to Black women ? (I also ask bec of an upcoming post on the topic)

5. Whats the best Drunk Decision you've ever made?

Ms.Honey said...

Cute interview :)

Anonymous said...

I just noticed the new profile pic, you're a mess.

You interviewing me?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Thank you Honey!

CNelly, you ready?

1. If tomoro you were offered identical lucrative career opportunities, 1 in TV news, the other in edu diversity, which would you select.

2. What's the best thing you've learned about life in the midwest?

3. When was the last time you saw your dad?

4. Whats the worst fight you and Epsi ever had?

5. What if your dream girl was non-black and lived on the other side of the country, would you go for it?

So...Wise...Sista said...

PS Cnelly, glad you like the pic ;)

Blah Blah Blah said...

...came back...
Figured I'd man-up... hit me with your best shot Wise!

Jameil said...

did i ask you to interview me? do it!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Aiight Blah...this wont be easy cuz you aint easy....

1. Which fcuk better... Cali guys or NY guys? Are they distinct styles?

2. How did you get into playing pool? (lame question, i know, but im genuinely curious)

3. If you could arrange your sons' marriages would you/ What kind of women would you foresee suiting them?

4. When did you know you'd marry your ex husband?

5. What are you scared of?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...

Didnt i already intvw you?? Oh wait, maybe it was just the other way around. OK...

1. 5 years ago, what did you think your life would be at this age? What do you think it will be in 5 years?

2. Does your dad date? Would you want him to get remarried?

3. Whats more likely to happen in the next year...you get passed over for a promotion or you fall in love?

4. Whats the last lie you told? (I think i asked someone else this...i like it a lot)

5. Would you rather be clueless or fashion challenged?

Lola Gets said...

Uh-oh! Let me find out Im not the only Black blogger whos into nudity (and other things)!
hehehehehe
Ive havent been to Vegas since I was a child; perhaps I should go again.
L

Anonymous said...

Oh hell...I just came over here... forgot I even asked you for this...

ok...I gotchu girl.

bloopty!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers