Thursday, June 21, 2007

Our Evolution...(un)Televised

[I've finally granted all requests for intvws in the comments of the last post. I havent been foloing up to see if yall all answered yet, but if you havent, get ta steppin! Anyone else wanna quiz me, speak now or... ~Management]
========================


"Black women are the mules of the world."

~ZNH

I’ve been inspired.

Nikki’s recent post about images of sistas on TV, resonates because of its truth. But there is, I believe, also a hidden truth behind the truth…

Fact is, yup, we’re still largely relegated to 3 familiar roles on TV…angry asexual, marriage-obsessed neurotic, and whore. A shame really, because our truth is that we all know Black women to be a diverse and varied soul. We know this because we know each other. We know our mothers and sisters and girlfriends and neighbors. Hell, we “know” our fellow blog sistas.

Problem is folks, that white people don’t know us, and it’s all our fault.

When’s the last time you took a co-worker up on an invitation for a few drinks after work? Or said yes, when the white couple across the street extends apple pie or hot dogs or whatever the hell else they be cooking over there and offering? Or that you actually indulged in a frivolous convo on the elevator, in line at Wa’Mart, or on the A train?

Hell naw. Why? Because “white people so damn nosy!” Always in your business. Always tryna see what you about. Which kind of Black girl you is.

But we steady don’t let em.

So that leaves white people to their own devices. They basically “know” 3 Black chicks besides you…Opr.ah, Bey.once and C0ndi. All us others are a mystery.

Interestingly enough, though I’m very cool with white folks, having grown up with some good ones, I noticed something recently. The only time I go to a predominantly white social spot is when I’m with one of my (Black) homeboys. Otherwise, if it’s me and the girls, we’re heading to somewhere where there’s some nggas.

While brothers are undoubtedly more nondiscriminatory than we are when it comes to sexual conquests, they are also much more open to white folks in general. They stand around and talk baseball with the white guy in Accounting. They don’t mind grabbing a bite with the white chicks from down the block. They accept an invite to the Blessed.Sacrement fellowship picnic.

They are just not as guarded as us. In fact, I believe brothers are more open because they want to be accepted. And I don’t mean in a pathetic-smelly-5th grader kind of way. I mean, it is important that they are seen as a whole person, not as an image. Not as angry or thuggish or violent or stupid (like my pet peeve dude who apologizes for his girl's "attitude" when some white authority treats to play her, instead of having her back when she's justified). They want white men to see that they can look them in the eye without averting, because they are men too, and ought to be treated as such.

Sistas on the other hand, as Zora said, are the mules of the world. We know this. We resent this. And we don’t give a fcuk about proving you wrong. That’s on you for thinking it. We expect that when we work hard we ought to be seen as whole and competent and intelligent and nuanced and complex and human. Just like any other woman. Problem is, we don’t care for the follow up. We don’t want you in our business bec we refuse to be exploited. We refuse to give you the satisfaction of thinking you know us.

So we get the Big 3 when it comes to TV, and film for that matter. Because of course, white folks are the ones behind the lenses and the scripts. They are the ones reflecting to us what we have or have not projected to them.

So while you got brothas like Omar.Epps and Gary.Dourdan. and Isaiah Wash (RIP Burke) and Dennis.Haysbert and Shamar.Moore and Harold.Perrineau and DL.Hughley getting the opportunity to play such complex, meaty roles on TV…sistas, not so much.

We get to play Joan and Miranda and Whoreen. Cuz that's what they know.

But to be sure, Asians fare far worse on TV, and I’m betting for very similar anti-social reasons. Even Latinos who are pleasantly becoming more visible, are often, as in the case of the Solises on DHouse.wives, little more than white characters with tans and accented surnames.

I actually love Miranda’s character on Grey’s. She’s vilified for being a typical Mammy, but dammit, have YOU EVER spent any extended periods of time with emotional, neurotic, hard headed, know it all, young, overly ambitious white kids? Well, it’s her job to baby sit them muhfcukas. A job I couldn’t see none of them other Mcdreamy/creamy/schmeemy bastards pulling off. You’d be pissed off too.

As for Joan, well, she’s written by a sista, and her obsession with finding a soul mate and her life’s work is woefully authentic. Very familiar to me, not unlike many sistas I know, or many of you bloggers I read, for that matter.

Was Carrie.Bradshaw of Sex.And.The.City similarly criticized? Naw. And that chick was all about snagging Big, Manolos and living beyond her means. Basically a paler Joan. The difference of course is that for every televised Carrie or McBeal or Mary.Tyler.Moore, there’s a televised Blanche, Roseanne or Alexis.Carrington. A variety. A balance.

I’m very proud of the Wanda.Sykes, the Khandi.Alexanders, Tonya.Pinkinses, Tia/Tamaras, Epathas, Dianne.Carrols, Tischina.Arnolds, Latonya.Jacksons, and Ryan.Bathes that do exist and that do add a splash of diversity to TV.

And Im very proud of the real life sistas who every now and again accept an invitation from nosy white folk.

17 comments:

Jameil said...

i love you. no really. i was dyin laughing at oprah, beyonce and condi. that is one hell of a trio. i like miranda's character, too. she doesn't take their crap. she has feelings outside ones that propel her into ever attractive man's arms and yet still loves her children. i was disappointed, tho when she didn't get chief resident after opening the clinic and running those children's intern lives. i know they better get george together b/c you can't lose 2 big stars. OK!! sorry this went terribly wrong when you brought up grey's. don't get me started.

know what? i should just go post b/c this will be a bit long. post begat post begat post. i love the blog world!!

Amadeo said...

I recommend chilling with some Italians...they make some great meals.

Lovin' the pic. If you do a life retrospective you have to use that for the appropriate time period.

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

i wonder if im nosy.....how can you tell if your nosy?

very

onefromphilly said...

Very well put! We as black women shun white folk because we think that every question that they ask is meant to be nosey! When in actuality sometimes they just DON'T KNOW and are bold enough to ask! If it's not a down right ignorant question, I answer it.

And I personally don't resent Miranda, Joan, Tonya, or the mother on Tyler Perry's new show. We are as diverse as the universe. Everything on television is over-blown and exagerated because it's TV!!!! There is no true representation of me on television. If you want to get to know me, you have to spend time with me and ask me some nosey azz questions! lol

1969 said...

Great post. I live with Euro's all day at work. I have been the only minority in my Corporate empire for so long....I can't remember when.

I judge people as just that...PEOPLE. TV needs to diversify.....there are so many interesting characters in real life. It would be great to see them on the screen.

Anonymous said...

Fuck Whitey...there i said it.



I aint got time to go around socializing these folk. Times are short and I got shit to do.

If they aint smart enough to see that they dont know us like they think they do farbeit for me to get in the business of teaching them.

They dont know Oprah Condi or Beyonce anymore than they know YOU.

Dont confuse their ubiquity with knowledge.

THEY think they know EVERYTHING. THey dont know SHIT

If they wanna know, sit down with ME on MY terms and watch me work. I aint hiding from you.

That said...a lotta Black folk are caricatures of what they see on TV cause they lack the testicular fortitude to be themselves.

That is a whole other problem.

Anonymous said...

Damn, you always blow me away.

Interesting notion about how open brothers and sisters are to differences, and different people. It conjures up images and observations from my educational experiences.

I'm constantly thinking why is there no depth displayed in media. And for all the steps forward we've made portraying black men, we've sidestepped it by continuing to make many of us uneducated, hypersexualized, thugged out, and somewhat shallow. Swagger can be begotten by showing different sorts of black men.

I do agree though that more needs to be done to display black women in their essence. For as many shades of black woman, there are personalities, there are positive attributes which do need to be acknowledged and affirmed.

Anonymous said...

Gary Dourdan....yummy!

I like white people. Honestly, some of my best friends are white.

I like your take on it...because there are so many talented strong actresses... Epatha is awesome and Wanda don't pull any punches she's pulling guns out.

However, Nik had a very good point. A very good point and one that can be prevelant...well depending on who YOU are and your experience...
I'm all for starting a revolution though...so even though I am not where DP is... I ain't all that sure I'd be sitting in your yard either. However I do know, this subject isn't all black and white...but it's a good debate :-)
I'm cynical about things but I am very much about the possibilites of others...
If your views are based on the negative you're gonna always have that mentality that the world is out to do us wrong... If your one that's for looking at the glass half full... then you right posts like yours.

Good job Wise.

bloopty!

Miz JJ said...

I grew up in Canada so I had no choice but to be friends with white people. Or else have a very limited social circle. I do somewhat agree with dp though. I am not as friendly as white people and all my friends say how hard it was to get to know me. I like to keep things personal, which can be misinterpreted as being standoffish. I think if white people genuinely want to get know black people they should be cognizant of that fact. Interesting post.

Mr.Slish said...

I agree I'm proud of those sista's as well but most of all I'm proud of you for putting this out there...

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...dont get me started, dont EVEN ge me started. I was watching an old ep of Greys last night on Lifetime, the channel i NEVER watch but has my new fav show army wives...it's brilliant on too many levels. Not to mention a great example of how easy diversity on Tv is.


Amadeo...Glad you like the pic. Sadly it could rep most of my adult life.


Rev...Nosy is curiosity about shit thats none of your biz along with no good sense NOT to actually ask.


Exactly Philly! You basically just added another couple paragraphs to this post. lol


1969...Most sistas work with nothing but white folks and yet they have only a peripheral understanding of who we are and arent. Of course thats their bad, but we contribute too.


DP says..."If they aint smart enough to see that they dont know us like they think they do farbeit for me to get in the business of teaching them."

Thats the point, they DONT know us, nor do they pretend to. As a writer you know good and well that people
write what they know. They dont know sistas, so they dont write sistas. Period.


CNelly, you're absolutely right. Diversity is in order. Not only on TV but also in real life.


Blah...White people are fantastic. Love em to death. Also loved Nikki's post cuz it was real. And this was my attempt at advancing and challenging the conventional wisdom of this convo. I dont know that Im exactly glass-half-full about it...but I think that if we gonna talk REAL, then we need to step away from the TV and look around at REAL.


MizJJ...The canada factor always fascinates me. I have lots of fam in Toronto and was always so blown away by how diverse my cousins' friends were. With that said, i think that it's hypocritical for sistas to expect to be repped righteously in media if they dont rep themselves at ALL to white folks. Im not suggesting we need to do the invite them over for pie and all that stuff i wrote. however, i know that our natural defenses are justified ...and the oft disinclusion may be too.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Well thanks SlishDaddy. Just setting down my remote and getting up to turn the channel, I guess.

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

"Rev...Nosy is curiosity about shit thats none of your biz along with no good sense NOT to actually ask."

Ok. i would say im definetly not nosy then..

dc_speaks said...

ok. im just finding you via my blog comment section...nice post.

I'll be back to be nosey some more.

have a great week!

peace

nikki said...

well done, of course :)

i'll say this...i think you're right in that many black women don't accept that invitation for someone else to get to know us better. however, at least for me, there aren't that many invitations or opportunities for them. this goes both ways. white folk should extend that invitation more often.

and then there's that whole "she's the good nigger" thing going. if people already have a stereotype in their head and i behave in a manner that debuncts that stereotype, that doesn't mean they suddenly have this insight into how black women behave. if i'm one of only a few (shit, the ONLY with some of these folk) they come in contact with, i could be the exception to the rule (which i've already heard in statements like "she's SO well-spoken and articulate!" said with surprise)

the answer ain't just us accepting invites. it's about white folk affording black folk the same open-mindedness when it comes to meeting and conversing with us. it means them not seeing one of us as an 'exception to the rule' or thinking "she acts JUST like that joan chick offa 'girlfriends'".

it means seeing us as individuals and doing more than embracing that one negro as if that somehow gives them insight into all of us.

Anonymous said...

im much like u.. like hanging out w/ the white folks.. although my girls can party at a black spot or a white spot all the same.. sometimes we prefer to be down a place like power plant live or fells point..

So...Wise...Sista said...

Rev...You're not nosy...per se. ;)


DC...you can be nosy as you want, just dont try to steal nothing, cuz i got cameras and thugs all up and thru this piece, bruh. ;)

nikki says..."it's about white folk affording black folk the same open-mindedness when it comes to meeting and conversing with us."

Exactly, and I hope that goes without saying. It's always a 2way street. And as for media images I think it's obvious in the lack of repping for sistas that white writers simply dont know where to go with us. which is pretty obvious also in "black media" images of stereotypical white folks.

A vicious cycle i tell you!

TTD...It's funny cuz I'm finding that in bmore i can go long stretches without ever seeing a white person. lol But there's def a social gap, bec anytime I'm at power plant or fells point I can count the sisters on one hand and the brothers are EVERYWHERE.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers