Friday, June 08, 2007

SHELL OF A MAN

My friend Curly is finally over her son’s father. The journey was like a bumpy ride through the old neighborhood now gentrified. A lot of neck craning. A lot of reminiscing. A lot of disbelief. And ultimately a tremendous growth that rendered her a new, whole woman.

Her kid’s almost 2 and she’s living back Upstate to raise him near her family, which means a definite downgrade in quality of life and similarly very slim pool of quality dudes. But there is a new man in her life that she is contemplating. This one is a winner…or a loser, depending on which way you view him.

He’s 28.

He’s a hometown boy (we LOVE hometown boys).

He’s an amazing graphic artist and gifted poet.

He’s childless.

He’s tall and handsome.

He’s fun, spontaneous, thoughtful, a deep thinker.

Don’t you love him already!

As we sat on the phone this evening for nearly two hours, as she was waiting for him to arrive at her crib, I was struck by the idea that guys insist that they are not all idiots. Some, like Hometown Boy, are quite caring and loyal, honest and ambitious. Affectionate and genuinely in search of a companion (not a meal ticket/trophy/whipping post).

“What I love about him is that he’s not trying to be all up ON me. He likes to be all hugged up, but he’s not a fcuking vulture. He’s not like those relentless nggas who act like they never had their dick sucked before.”

I feel her on that. And in some ways I think that trait separates the men from the boys.

Problem is, in many ways this man is still very much a boy.

His mom died when he was 14. His dad died not longer after. All he’s got in this world is an aloof grandmother and a handful of true friends.

He had a very serious girlfriend a few years back. They were planning a future together, until she announced that she was moving to Chi to go to school. And leaving him behind.

He still hasn’t recovered from that. Just like he hasn’t recovered from his stint as a teenage orphan.

His claim to fame is that he’s the hottest MC Upstate. Yuck, I know...but dude IS nice. When Curly first told me about him, I knew immediately who she was talking about, having seen him rip more than a few open mic nights and freestyles alongside platinum artists touring thru town (he damn near had Com.mon in tears with his flow).

All in all he’s a great guy. So yeah, gentlemen, you’re right. There are indeed a few of you left out there hanging tough. And women should recognize that. We should give the good guys a chance instead of the jerks that get mad burn in our rotations.

But at what point does a good guy become a liability? Or worse yet, not worth the good?

Hometown Boy has a bit of a hustle.and.flow complex happening. He believes in his art. He moved to NYC without knowing anyone, not long after he got played by Chi chick. He was living outside the city with some people who didn’t have his back, had a tough time and soon found himself back Upstate. Everyone knows him at home, and he produces his own music in pursuit of that elusive big break.

Yes, I did say 28.

He works a temp job 4 days a week, doesn’t have a car, lives with a couple who is family to him, and the computer he does his music on just crashed.

Hometown’s had a lifetime of hard times.

But he’s still a great guy. A shell of a man, who could be whole, given the right opportunities.

My friend likes him a lot, but loves herself more. She realizes that she needs more out of a partner. I mean, the word partner suggests that both have something to offer. Right now, all he got for Curly is a few bars.

I already know the answer. So does she. But what I don’t know is if I will have the same answer 5, 10 years from now (bec my answer would have been the opposite 5, 10 years ago). If I wont see the shell of a man as a valuable investment. A missed opportunity. Particularly if he’s a good man. Conventional wisdom says that if you’re in the market, you set your sights on the brand new developments. Rehabs and fixer ups aren’t worth the trouble…no matter how detailed and gorgeous the craftsmanship and original woodwork.

But is the convention correct? I dunno, cuz truthfully, I seen too many foreclosures on these so-called desirable dudes. The gentrified real estate, if you will. They’re fantastic on paper, have great curb appeal, yet lack the durability to satisfy the buyer longterm.

Chances are Hometown will never blow up as the next Mos.Def. But he’s likely to blow up into a whole man. A good, long-lasting, whole man.

A steal at the current market value.

20 comments:

1969 said...

First off Wise....this was so well written. Excellent.

It all depends on where you are in your life when you meet each other. If you are both at different stages....it won't work.

Your friend sounds like sh ehas gone through being there for the wrong person and she is entering that stage where she needs someone to uplift her.

He sounds like he is still trying to figure out what he wants to do or be.

This won't work. She finally knows herself and he is trying to find himself.

I say walk away. Roads cross but different paths are different paths.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Dammit '69...you are absolutely on the money. She knows it's not gonna fly, yet she still is pursuing a friendship with him bec she's likes him and bec she genuinely wants to help him. But as she says, "Why it always gotta be the brokedown ones!" :)

Amadeo said...

Always a hard one. Is it worth the renovation or do you want it complete upon purchase. Complete upon purchase means you can just jump right in...but you don't know the internal structural issues. Renovated ones you get have more info and feel more ownership of it.

nikki said...

excellent, excellent post.

he's starter house material and she's already moved out of her first house and is on to better is in a more upwardly mobile neighborhood. she doing the right thing.

i too remember a time when i would have been like "yeah, i can work with that", but i don't have the time or energy for it anymore. unfortunately, there are a BUNCH of dilapidated brothas walking around at age 35 plus.

Miz JJ said...

I would run, not walk away from that situation. I dated a failed musician once and it nearly killed me. I wanted to support his dream, but it was always about how people were killing his dream, holding him down blah, motherfucking, blah, blah. I had dreams too, but I needed to suck it up and get a real job at some point. If this dude does that do you think he will really be happy, or will he still be wishing he was a star? I dunno, if had any other dream besides musician I would have been more open to a fixer upper.

GreatWhyte said...

"A steal at the current market value." I love that, and it's worth remembering. I too have dated the fixer upper and it drained me; emotionally, spiritually, financially. But this guy IS working. Yes, he has a dream that he is very dedicated to that might never come to fruition. But really, so what? So do I. So does my boyfriend. So do tons of people. But he sounds like a wonderful man- not just a man with that elusive "potential." I say love him. Sorry :(

Jameil said...

yet lack the durability to satisfy the buyer longterm. depressing. i'm not in the right frame of mind to comment.

Anonymous said...

love this blog ... seems like i keep gettin houses that have one amaaazing feature... but once i get comfortable i find that one feature is not enough to sustain my stayin there ....but i have a hard time sellin them ... wanna keep them around just in case that property value changes ... and i keep thinkin if only i could take the features from old ones put them all together and have my dream home ... but well thats wishful thinkin ... that i refuse to give up hope about ... so i continue... hopin ... wishin ... prayin ... workin on me too... cause i wanna be someones dream house too ...

Southerner in Suomi said...

I love all the real estate terms. I say run too. She got a kid too. A young one. And she just got away from one draining man. As lonely as it may be, she needs some "her time" and some "her son time."
Black men are marginalized at a very young age, so she's got that to focus on. I don't really see why she even worried about a man in her life besides the little one she has.

TTD said...

ditto to vdizzle.. now that she's finally able to pull away from the son's father.. she should work on pampering herself...

i dont see a problem w/ keeping a FRIENDship w/ dude.. but i wouldnt pursue anything w/ him

CNEL said...

Whoa one of my favorite writer-intellectuals has struck gold again.

Leave it to you to equate courtship to investing in a real estate. A house is not home until...

I'm with V on this one. It's okay to go house hunting, but if you're still in an apartment or want a better house, than keep saving. At some point you either invest in what you already set your sights on, or you invest in something else.

Making it clear to this man that she wants to maintain a friendship, but can't compromise and have a relationship until he's stable might be an option. I mean yes he needs to become a full man, but people don't grow on their own. Imagine her as just another person whose left his life, another person who let him down, yet another who walked away. She ain't obligated, and it might make him needy, but we all have our needs.

La said...

Why in the hell do you have me talking out loud to the computer? lol



I say walk. Knowing it off top is half the battle. Actually walking away is what will ensure your happiness. I'm all for growing with someone, but there has to be some kind of real and finite plan in place to do so. Otherwise, you're just a Captain Save-a-Hoe

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

Ms JJ:

how do you define a "failed musician"? or Better yet, a successful one?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Amadeo says..."internal structural issues"

TRUE! Hadnt thought of that.

Nikki says..."unfortunately, there are a BUNCH of dilapidated brothas walking around at age 35 plus."

And this is exactly why I wonder if this dude might not be worth the investment. This is after all, a seller's market.

MizJJ...If he were the selfish bitter musician it would be a no-brainer, but the cat is really cool and she enjoys his company a lot...yet she has established firm boundaries. We'll see how it goes.

XFactor...you cast one of the only dissenting votes...and I'm actually nt far behind you. :)


Jameil...that line was for you!


Thanks Amber...sounds like you know the dilemma well! it's tough, just like real estate. One year it's a buyer's market, then a seller's. lol


VDiz says..."I don't really see why she even worried about a man in her life besides the little one she has."

Well, the other main character in this story is Upstate NY. I guess it would be the equivalent of moving from BRouge to Lafayette or somewhere in the sticks (look at me acting like i know Louisi like that!). It's tough up there for single young professionals socially, so having a companion would just help make the time more bearable.

TTD...You're right. It's all about her now, and that's why this is even a dilemma for her...bec 2 years ago she woulda BEEN bunned up with this dude. But now she's ready to be self-centered.


CNelly says..."mean yes he needs to become a full man, but people don't grow on their own."

VERY true, young man. And Upstate might have had a chance if Curly had not already been there and done that with her son's father.

LA says..."I'm all for growing with someone, but there has to be some kind of real and finite plan in place to do so."

And how do you get to that point unless you give a chance?

Blah Blah Blah said...

...did JJ just say Blah muthafucken Blah Blah...da hell?!?!

Let me see if I can answer this intelligently (usually I am better at unintelligble BS...it's my calling)

I'd settle for the old victorian fixer uppper. I would... but mind you. I'd still need to be in a good neighborhood...and I'd still have to be able to do the shit I normally do with putting a little time and effort into my "investment" on the weekends. I only have weekend time... other than that I can't be expected to be working on that shit 24/7. After all, even though it's a steal at the current market rate...it still has to be able to work for me now... otherwise it's the money-pit from hell and ummm, I ain't sinkin' my money like that.

Where I live, you're paying for brand new shit but walls are paper thin, maintenance is ridiculous, you're paying big bucks for a small space...just for the convenience. I'd rather invest in something that is gonna withstand time and be a home...otherwise I might as well get me a whole lotta co-ops (read: jumpoffs)spread through out town...

4EverJennayNay said...

I must confess, I'm a recovering impulse buyer.

You see the potential, and say to yourself "all it needs is..." or "all you gotta do is..." and you know the rest.

So until ya girl finally realizes the inevitable, she'll prolly continue to rent this one out. I've done it too and completely understand. Who wants to be completely home(town boy)less???

La said...

You give the chance, but you have to know yourself. The situation is never bad when you're building; you exacerbate it when you stay far longer than your gut tells you that you need to. No matter what anyone says, I believe everyone knows somewhere in the back of their mind whether or not someone is right for them. But the question is whether or not they listen...

EqualOpportunityCrush said...

Sowise.. long time no comment.. and I see you brought us another EXCELLENT post..

I, unfortunately, just committed the cardinal sin that you better advise your girl NOT to do.

Shit, I just wrote a post about that.

Hometown is a recipe for disaster. She needs to focus on herself and her son and put that love nonsense out of her head.

yes, i'm bitter today. but, i ain't never lie.

Lola Gets said...

Ok, there is now way I can get with the real estate analogy, so Imma put it like this: When our grandparents and parents married, they werent "together." They didnt have anything, but they built together. I think today people forget that, and instead reach for the "ready-made." I personally dont mind putting in a little work.
L

The OE said...

Based on my experience as a secret agent, I would say that it's rare the person whose faults are visible. More common is the person whose faults are buried deep and only reveal themselves later. Most covert intelligence is gathered using the later as informations until such time as they become unreliable.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers