Monday, July 16, 2007

RUN AND DONE

I recently took up running. Been wanting to for a while but since I got ADD I figured I’d get bored. And though I have an ip0d, I decided I needed the little clip-on shuffle jawn, because, eff a armband.So I got the shuffle... but I lost the energy to get out on the open road. My desire slowed down. God forbid a Clean.House marathon was on, or it was hot outside. Running was out the door.

But something changed. One day I just got up and did it. I ran, and enjoyed it. Tracked my progress against the surrounding landmarks. Felt accomplished. Set some goals.

When I run, my limbs wanna shut down. I hardly ever run out of breath. It’s always my limbs. (not to mention a few days later! Fiyah!)

This evening I was out for a short while and ready to call it a night. My knees were starting to ache, I was getting hungry. Needed some water. Some really heavy, draining thoughts started drowning out the reggae.

But as I approached my car I suddenly got another burst of energy and picked it up and kept going. It came out of nowhere really, just an immediate kick and my back was long and straight, my chin up, my knees rising.

I guess life is like that some times. You run out of energy, wanna slow down, maybe give up on something or someone. Wanna just coast. Chill on the couch and get your DVR game tight.

But then some knob inside you is turned all the way up. And you wanna get up. Start moving. Keep going. Faster. Harder. Until you reach another landmark up ahead.

15 comments:

Organized Noise said...

You gained your second wind. Good stuff. You are so right comparing it to life. We all reach a point where we want to give up then something or someone motivates us and we are ready to go all over again. Good post.

Madam DLBG said...

Wise, we are sooooooo HERE right now. I needed that this morning. Also, GET IT GIRL!!!!

1969 said...

That is exactly how I feel when I run. Exactly. First you feel like you are about to die and then all of a sudden, the burst of energy comes.

Another great point. Thanks Wise!

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

Runner's High....

Watch your knees baby, pavement running catches up to you...

Jonzee said...

Thats exactly how I feel on the cross-trainer at the gym. I put it on for 30 minutes--and often at about minute 18--its not the breath but the boredom and the tightness in the legs that makes me want to stop. Then all the sudden a strange calm comes over me--and I keep going--often past that 30 minutes I set it for.

Amadeo said...

I been running around montebello recently and I know that feeling...I prefer to run with someone cause when they don't stop it makes me push and I find out how far I can go for real.

As for that armband...on sunday I tied a bandana around my arm and stuck my nano in it. Meanwhile I dared someone to say something...ha...punk ass walking people!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, life is just like that. And I've been meaning to get my run on. Perhaps I need to invest in this "shuffle" so I can get some pep in my step. I hear its quite the release.

Anonymous said...

Run...lmao...sorry.
I could be chased by a pride of lions but I am not running. I don't even think I know how to run... my legs probably would lock up on me and wonder, wteff is this chick doing.

I get your point though...
...the analogies are always nice on this side.

bloopty!

aquababie said...

i don't run, but i know how you feel. when i'm doing a kick-butt yoga practice, i push myself until the very end.

you're right, sticking to it is just like life. you sometimes have to push to get to where you want to go.

M-Dubb said...

I started running about six months ago. I feel this in so many ways. It was my release - pent up frustrations about life and the people in it. It helped me let go. And that second wind is a mofo!

JustMeWriting said...

Way to go girl...I wish I had the energy to run.

Anonymous said...

Maybe I'll start running when summer is over. Naw power walking taking advantage of LoCo's indoor track.

Big ups for the motivation and being a self-starter.

Jameil said...

love it. i'm not a runner but i sprinted around the track for 2 laps yesterday and felt muy accomplished! lol. it was kind of funny. i def. need to add a shuffle to the ipod collection.

Lucy Dee said...

That's pretty presumptuous to go into a meme without a tag. I respect. Make your voice heard, dammit. Shout it from the rooftops!

Izz said...

Hey you. Running is the one. It's' my number one passion. ALthough I don't have an iPod and use my sony ericsson phone, its not great cos the earphone nobs always fall off. But now am hurt so I can't even go half a mile. Only sticking to gym til i'm healed,then hit the road again.

Love your blog. Just bookmarked it.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers