Tuesday, September 11, 2007

BATTLE??


“Wise, this is Mom. I just called to see how you’re feeling (I had a root canal yesterday), and to remember 9-11. I’ll never forget not being able to reach you on that day. And I can’t reach you now! *she laughs* Love you. Talk soon.”

That morning, I had to email my brothers to get the message home that I was ok. Wondering if like the phones, somehow the internet was also affected by this mess.

A sea of yellow cabs uptown. That’s what I remember most. If you know Harlem, you know cabbies don’t fuck with Uptown. But that day, there was no place else for them to go.

All the Puerto Rican flags hanging from the windows and fire escapes in my hood were promptly replaced with the red, white and blue. U.S. stars and stripes, that is.

You couldn’t walk a block without seeing large glass encased candles lining the curbs.

Will never forget the blank stares from the firefighters from the house around the corner on 3rd Ave. it was like an open house, everyone coming by to pay respect and condolences.

All the video that the public will never see. The stuff that’s archived by the newsrooms. Stuff we logged but never discussed.

The nightmares that ensued.

The photos plastered about Union Square. Like a citywide yearbook.

St. Patrick’s Cathedral. Packed.

Walking everywhere. Not ready to get back on the subway. And cops and military lining the paths, always.

The dust that hung overhead.

Hearing from people I didn’t even know knew I was in NY.

And today, all niggas talking bout is Cornye and 50??

GTFOH!

Fuck it. I’m buying Kenny Chesney and calling my mom back.


THIS JUST IN...from my boys over at All.Hip.H0p.com (I am SOOO copping Chesney now. If 50 comes in at #3? HAHAHA):

The race for the top of the pop chart started yesterday (September 11) when highly anticipated albums by rappers 50 Cent and Kanye West hit stores. According to early sales reports, Kanye West's Island Def Jam album Graduation is on pace to sell over 750,000 copies the first week in stores, while 50 Cent's Shady/Aftermath/Interscope album Curtis is expected to move around 550,000 units. West's Graduation is expected to debut at the top of the Billboard Top 200 charts next week, while Curtis will battle for the #2 spot with country music star Kenny Chesney. A number of retail outlets have said that West's Graduation is outselling 50 Cent's Curtis by at least 2 to 1.

18 comments:

1969 said...

Great post. One of my favorites. But whatever you do....don't buy Kenny Chesney.

Blah Blah Blah said...

Very nice remembering.

The bain of my existence is the need to go to the airport at 7AM and can't find a damn yellow cab... c'mon, what's wrong with Harlem?!

Anonymous said...

I just know that I cannot forget.

La said...

If you buy Kenny Chesney does that mean you won't buy Skeletor? Cuz if so, that's ok.

So...Wise...Sista said...

1969...You got something against the honky tonk??


Blah...Oh.my.gosh...me too! I used to schlep down to 125th with my luggage and watch mad M60 busses roll past before a damn yellow joint would roll up.


Epsi...It's not an easy thing to forget is it.


La...Maybe that oughta be the consequence of one of our many competitions. The loser (and by loser I mean you) has to listen to an entire Marc Ant CD. ON REPEAT. *wringing hands*

Southerner in Suomi said...

Buy Christian Scott's CD. He's a fusion jazz artist from NOLA.

Eff Cornye and Fitty!!

La said...

Oh, my lovely.

I don't lose.

So gimme a minute to come up with a suitable consequence for you, loser.

Jameil said...

its hard for me to talk about tragic events sometimes b/c i'm so inundated w/it at work. some of the details we can't say on tv are so horrific i just have to talk about anything but that when i get home.

4EverJennayNay said...

9-11-01 i was a freshman at ecu. the towers were being attacked as i was leaving for my 9.30. the second plane had hit by time i got accross campus. the second tower was falling when i was getting back in from my second class of the day. for days we couldn't find my father. the funny thing is i never knew i even cared about him that much.

Amadeo said...

For real it was going down when I went into a bank and I heard people talking and I said, "What movie is that from?"

nikki said...

i can only hope nobody purchased either kanye or 50 and both are gonna retire.

So...Wise...Sista said...

VDiz...Hmm, Christian Scott, huh? From NOLA? Sounds cool. If he got Lil Weezy on a hook or something, I'm in. *im kidding, really I am*

LA...Then looks like we're in a perpetual statistical dead heat...cuz losing aint my steez either. Dammit, stop being me!! I'm gonna have to throw one of these comps just to shut you up.:)

Jameil...exactly.

4ever J...Deep. Sooooo, your Dad was ok, I'm hoping?

Amadeo...Right?! The 1st time I heard it was on Hot 97, so obviously I thought it was a stupid ass joke. Remember how there wasnt even video of the first plane hitting until a few days after?? Surreal.

Nikki...I was so bout making a statement and buying 'Ye. Til that ngga went and opened his mouth whining. I cant spend no dough on a bitch dude. Cant. lol

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

Kanye is an ass. a whining ass.

Adei von K said...

to me, the lesser of two evils is kanye. only cause of what he did when katrina hit. that ish is so funny that its gangsta. who has the gall (or balls) to say that out loud? we may think it but never have the audience he had. gotta love that (and the look mike myers had on his face)

9/11- sop yr at HU. our raggedy teachers wouldn't let us out of class. Jameil and i had humanities honors...

4EverJennayNay said...

yes he was fine. there were a couple of firefighter cousins we had a time locating. No one was hurt badly, just a few scratches and stuff but they are still breathing and living life today.

BK said...

good post.. wait.. GREAT post..

LOL @ the update.. well I guess you won't like my post and for the record.. I DON'T BUY MUSIC *hmph*

now Kenny Chesney.. *lemme see if he on our new set.. we always got at least one or two country songs*

Anonymous said...

No one really knew what they were witnessing at the time of 9/11. But now, looking back, thinking back......hell, I still can't wrap my mind around it.

I really thought the nuh's would be out buying up Fiddy's album. I guess Kanye just irritates the hell outta me, lol. While I like that "Can't Tell Me Nothin" song......I couldn't listen to a whole album of him. His whiny ass voice makes me nauseous. He's the rappin Keith Sweat.

Anonymous said...

Oh, but I like me some Keith Sweat. :)

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers