Thursday, September 20, 2007

Our JENAration





I swear, I woulda been a Black.Panther back in the day.

Big, audacious ‘fro bouncing, swaying, trying to keep up as I march.

Not sure if I’da been gangsta enough to garnish a shotty, but I woulda for sure been the one with the camera, documenting the resistance.

I woulda had the pen out, blazing, writing out the Ten Point Plan. I woulda broke into whatever campus office and “xerox’d” some copies.

More recently, had I not been forbidden on the grounds of my gender, I woulda been among a million brothers (yeah, trying to get numbers and losing sight of the real cause from time to time, but, whatev). But that’s what it reminded me of this morning when I tuned in to CNN and saw a sea of black-clad Black folks descended on rural Louisiana. Whites, too. It reminded me of the Milli0n Man March and how badly I wanted to be there.

But this morning I got my BP on, and grabbed the mic in front of a dilapidated library still in use by my campus until the new one opens. Just a few blocks from where a 24 year old brother got gunned down at around noon on Monday. In front of a similar sea of black. My peers. The youngens I curse daily on my travels thru campus.

“I’m proud as hell to be a Morgan State grad student this morning, just like I’m proud as hell to be Black every day,” I announced.

If I was a Black Panther, I wouldn’t have been the fire breather. My words were measured, carefully chosen, deliberately spaced out and articulated. I tend to get more hype speaking to Sprint customer service.

I’m the Black Panther with the camera, more interested in turning the mic around to those with no voice. Those who need to shout.

This whole Jena thing reeks of 1957. And back then it was students who marched and organized and got things done. Students, who captured the world's attention. And in 2007 we’re in a position to organize and get things done. And yup, capture the world's attention.

“Now that the cameras are here, let’s have something to say. Look into these TV and still cameras that rarely come here, and instead of dancing and shuffling, open your mouth and say something that means something. And if God forbid, this city reaches 300 murders this year, if there are no financial aid reforms at this school, I better see you all right back here, rallying and shouting. And I better see the cameras back here then, too.”

Take a sec to look at some photos and video from Jena, Louisiana today.

Take a look at the movement, and get in where you fit in. You don’t have to be a Black Panther, just contribute like one.

*drops the mic and walks off*

14 comments:

Blah Blah Blah said...

I can see you as a Panther. Not the "new panther" on 1-2-5...but the REAL Pather's.

Can still happen if we would continue it. No reason for Jena to have happened...no reason for us not to continue after today....

Can't wait for your photos.

LoveMyselfFirst said...

looking forward to your pics.

1969 said...

AMEN WISE.

Jameil said...

FAB!!!

La said...

I could so see you as a panther. But you're right, probably one of the more cerebral, shrewdly intellectual panthers making all the plans, organizing and rallying members.


Me? I'd have the shotgun.

Anonymous said...

I think seeing Morgan State on the tube representing ... made it impossible for the people of Baltimore to talk trash about the college. MSU was actually seen as a university and not as 13th grade.

And you're def a radical and a damn subversive.

Amadeo said...

Funny thing is the most intellectual of all the Panthers was respected in the hood for fighting in the streets.

nikki said...

you're absolutely right. the movement need folks in all capacities. my only beef is that everybody wanna march but that don't necessarily mean they wanna fight.

dc_speaks said...

this post was fantastic.

@Nikki: I couldn't agree with you more.

thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I agree agree agree.

Someone asked me was I shocked that all that went down in Jena. I said no. I am more shocked that people believed racism was gone in this country.

Like Kanye said "Racism still alive. They just be concealing it". Half the time they dont even try to conceal it.

Little Brown Girl said...

I got Panther in my blood *it's true* I went to Jena and I swear to you it was AMAZING being a part of history...standing up and putting them cats on notice. I'm excited about the direction we are headed...I believe this is a new day and we will see more organizing and perhaps the resurgence of movements that model (but are improved) the Panthers...GREAT POST!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Funny, I must also add that I'm a Neo-Panther...cuz after rallying the masses and seeing the video and pics, my first thought was, "thank GOD I shaved my pits this morning!" :)

SLUMP FACADE said...

Speaking of the J6, do you think they were justified for attacking the ONE white student?

If so, hit my blog, I have a different take on the situation...

Adei von K said...

i love the way you write.

i wish i was born in the 50s so i could've been a foxy 20 something in the 70s. i would've been all up in BPP something serious.

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers