Wednesday, November 21, 2007

THANKS, BUT NO...

As so many of you have so eloquently pointed out, we oughta be giving thanks every day, not just on another fraudulent government mandated holiday. I totally agree. And every day I give thanks profusely for all things big and small, good and even not so good.

But I don’t know about yall…I’m all about the balance. I’m allotting some time tomorrow to all of the things I’m not thankful for. I mean, maybe speaking them out loud will make them go away or something. Damn, I aint seen Oprah in a minute but I know she’d say it some kinda way to that effect.

10 Things For Which I’m Not Particularly Thankful…


1. Gas prices. Are you kidding me, Hess? Didn’t it cost me like HALF of this to fill up just a month ago?? And am I really paying the same each month for gas as I am for car insurance??

2. The Programming/Scheduling down at Viacom. I don’t know who figured the demographic that is obsessed with The Hills (as I am), wasn’t also the same folks who grew up with ‘Push It’ and ‘What a Man.’ I’ma need you people to do some retooling so that I don’t have to choose btwn LC vs. Heidi or Salt vs. Pep. Thanks! (Monday night TV is however among my many give thankses!)

3. Punk ass Sprint. Been their bitch since ’99, and I’m STILL battling their asses on the regular. But I draw the line at the egregious call drops. My sweetie can’t be driving home (kinda drunk) without being able to reach me!

4. Pneumonia weather. Need I look like the asshole when it’s damn near 60 degrees outside in November no less, but I’m wearing a wool coat, scarf and gloves. But I KNOW it’s pneumonia weather, so I aint chancing it…but I still get sick!!

5. Rakim for his no show on Saturday. I mean, maybe he did show up sometime after 1:30 when I bounced. But damn, God, the show started at 8!!

6. Safeway, for discontinuing the pink chip breast cancer cookies. Don’t you KNOW I’m emotional eating right now?!! Where are they…I neeeeeed them!

7. Baltimore, for so many reasons, but particularly for not sharing in my lifelong tradition of autumn apple cider. I miss Upstate!

8. I’m not exactly thrilled with airport security either. Instead of packing a light carryon I gotta check my shit in if I plan to wear any perfume or lip gloss while I’m at home. And do you mean to tell me I can’t bring a flask??

9. Notsomuch thankful for the random post-30 moles, pimples, hairs, and light spots that pop up in unnecessary and unexpected places.

10. Living in a city close to almost 300 murders this year…but oddly enough not one of the Top 10 most dangerous cities in the country?? (ok it's #12, but still)

Enjoy the holiday everyone!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gas prices are the worse. Airport security eats donkey balls and a few months ago (maybe last year) I went to see the R in NYC. This dude came on-stage at 2:30am for 30 mins.

Anonymous said...

Gas prices ... I don't even wanna talk about it ...gone up 10 cents in the last week ... Im packin right now and Im havin to take an extra bag cause things that would usually go in my carry on ... not so much ... bitches... and B'ham is at number 6... and Memphis in the top 10 as well ... well damn ...

the joy said...

Ima need you to drive/ bus to NY. That $20 Asia bus from DC... Lol I feel you on this weather. I'm over here trying to hustle my scarves, and its not even cold enough to wear one!

Southerner in Suomi said...

You know I started smuggling a flask in when I read about you doing it.

Take ur liquor and put it in a zip-loc bag and just buy 20 oz drink to mix. That's how we smuggled it into football games. They can hardly see the outline.

Unless you like brown liquor.

Anonymous said...

i'm definitely feeling u on the airport security thing. damn near missed a plane one time because some two-pence-an-hour airport security clerk needed to make his buck by searching my overnight bag for perfumes, lotions and other WMD.

but my dear wise, why u yanks complaining about petrol prices? what is it now? $3/gallon? i would pay tht gladly.

u should take a trip across the pond to see UK petrol prices. £1/litre easy. and with my little calculator handy tht works out at over $9/gallon. howdya like them apples? :o(

So...Wise...Sista said...

Freshy...I wish you hadnt told me that about Rakim...but then again I wish I knew BEFOREHAND. lol The consolation was that Ghostface was also there and he RIPPED it as did the opening dude Brother.Ali, and the band was killer too! So all wasnt lost. But STILL!


Cali...I know! I'm pretty good at packing light...but not when light includes a bottle or Patron or two. And why the last time I flew home I had a bottle of Happy in a plastic baggie and was straight. But on the flight home they ganked my shit. Perfume dude?! Losers.

Joy...What you know about the Chinese bus!! Why did my friend in DC one time REFUSE to get on it citing the threat of the BIRD.FLU as her reason. Not me! *bird calling* lol

Vdiz...You're so right. It can be done. I HAVE done it, but I'm lazy. The whole point of a flask is easy access, not smuggleation and plotting. But alas, you know I'ma do it. lol


My Neil...Oh I miss you. And if you have a couch, per my previous "Respite" post...I will gladly pond jump and fill up ur little lady ($9 is INSANE but so is ur entire economy from what I hear. A starbucks coffee is about that price, no??) and have you Miss Daisy me around ur hood.

Jameil said...

you know the fbi hates that list b/c it finds it inaccurate. i got rid of sprint after 2 years. hate it. not a fan of cider.

Anonymous said...

u can take a flask... it just has to be empty (defeats the purpose, right?!?)

welcome to bodymore.. the home of the wire. lol

Jonzee said...

Good Lawd, lady. You can't be unraveling on me about B'more! When I wake up in cold sweats missing NYC--It comforts me that one of my favorite bloggers is close by.

But I feel you on punk ass Sprint.

Blah Blah Blah said...

These days I check my bag regardless. I needs to wash my hair dammit and tose little hotel samples can't maintain the lushness that fructis gives my hair.

Sweetie? Tell us about him. Not in the new Wise way but ol' skool Wise when you gave up details!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Jameil...Things about an abusive relationship is that you're constantly being convinced that you have no other options...plus the people I talk to most have Sprint so I'm invested. *sigh*


TTD...ABSOLUT'ly defeats the purpose!!


Jonzee...You know I'm just being dramatic cuz this here microphone is on! BMore is my shit...just notsomuch with the random shankings and Home.Dep0t parking lot murkings. lol


Blah says..."Sweetie? Tell us about him. Not in the new Wise way but ol' skool Wise when you gave up details!"

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

But Blah you do realize that the "ol skool Wise" way was all about angst and regret and failure. But I promise as soon as this ngga starts fcuking up I'm ON it! Just hasnt happened yet... :)

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers