Monday, November 26, 2007

SEPARATE BUT EQUAL

“I understand that he needs to get his shit together," I say. "I’m proud of you for not wavering on that cuz you, pre-Mommy days wouldn’t give a fcuk. But I also think that it’s a mistake to try to front like you don’t have real feelings for him. On a very personal, important level.”

Curly scratches her scalp hard, as she tends to do when someone is talking sense into her.

“But do you really think he would fit in here?” She nods her head over to the center of my living room. “Could you see him chilling with us??”

This time I turn. My body hangs halfway off the couch, an errant beer bottle cap imprinting my back. An ice tray filled with green specks, remnants of our jello shots, a mere memory. One overturned Rasheed Wallace sneaker with a gleaming white sock still in it. A pack of Newports that won’t see the light of day inside my crib. Three dudes huddled, tossing dice against a wall of my school books.

“Drink the CARD-eye (Bacardi…they have a nickname for every fcuking thing), son.”

“Yo B. Ali.cia Keys…you’d eat the box straight no chase?”

“Yessir. Roota AND toota, kid. No question.”

I turn back to Curly, my contemplation complete.

“Does ANYONE fit in with us besides us??”

We’ve all done it before and it just doesn’t work. I mean, I LOVE these kids. Couldn’t get rid of them if I tried. And at one time or another we’ve all figured that this MUST mean that EVERYONE will love us.

So we bring the occasion signif other around. Introduce them in the flesh to the names they’ve heard in countless stories. They already know the faces bec they’ve stared back from photos that dot all of our cribs. Not to mention our distinct differences and personalities make it impossible not to know who’s who.

And it usually looks the same. We’re all together, cooking, eating, drinking, smoking, laughing. If we’re feeling particularly nostalgic the yearbooks come out, or better yet the video from Greekfreak ’96, or a yellowing invitation from the party at Club Baja in ’99, or the cups stolen from the dining hall, or the orange traffic cones copped that one night after…"wait, when WAS that??”

And the signif other, sitting dutifully beside their respective mate, does just that. They sit. And listen. And probably yawn a million bored yawns. But we never notice.

Every once in a while someone will engage them. But 9 times out of 10, and not even out of spite or rudeness, just out of sheer urgent hilarity, someone will interrupt with another inane inquiry. Even my ex, who went to high school with us, and knows these kids well, was overwhelmed every time.

So without discussion or consensus, we all just one day stopped bringing outsiders around. For no other reason than that it’s painfully obvious that without having lived our history it’s just not nearly as comical or heartwarming or entertaining to hear us recall it, no matter how animated and Oscar-worthy the re-enactment.

“I think the days of rating a potential mate based on compatibility with our friends are long gone. I mean, it’s one thing to get your friends’ opinions of the person, but that’s about it.”

“You guys told me not to fcuk with Peter.”

“Unanimously.”

“I shoulda listened.”

“Should have. But I’m sure every one of us would tell you the same thing about 8 Mile. He just doesn’t necessarily need to be dragged kicking and screaming to hang with us when we all get together.”

“Weazy, feel this beat! You aint freestyle all night, ngga!” My attention, again, pulled to the center.

“You beg me to get with it/to spit it/I stay committed/and get more head than Coop’s fitted”

“Ayyyyy! Wise, remember that time I walked in on you and…”

*

Is this a universal misconception? That your friends and your mate must be compatible or all bets are off?

Some people have Mate-Friendly friendships. You know, the kind of friends who are multipurpose. You can effortlessly bring around a mate, a boss, whoever.

Others, like me, have a core group of friends who are perfectly suitable and welcoming one on one, but impossibly (but never intentionally) exclusive in a group.

Or maybe no friends at all.

What say you? Do you bring your SO around your friends? Is it a litmus test of sorts?

What about when around theirs? Do you feel alienated?

Does it even matter??

19 comments:

Mr.Slish said...

LOL..This shit is funny..Because I have two sets of friends.

I have friends that know me and I have friends that reeaalllly know me. My S.O. never meets THE REALLY KNOW ME's.

Tell you the truth I stopped introducing my lady to my friends altogether..When I start doing that it jinxes the relationship. Six months later I'm tellig them the story about the break up...It happened with the last one..You were there for that...lol..Now I don't mention her at all...Been together a Whole year now...lol

Southerner in Suomi said...

I wish I had a set of (or at least one) long term friends.

I know three guys who I've known since high school, but I'd never consult them about another guy. They're so dysfunctional.

Jameil said...

My exes have never meshed well with any of my friends but my friends liked them all. not meshed well to say they didn't need to be around each other. i think that's ok. we don't have to share friends.

La said...

The friends are impossible. Utterly. That is the result of my research on the topic. The friends are like meeting the parents; very minimal and a viable possibility to only a select few.

Anonymous said...

I learned not to do that. My friends and I have too much history. We end up excluding the SO. My SO knows who my friends are but they dont hang out.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Slishy...I got mad diff groups of friends for diff purposes. most of them are Meetable...but The Fam, that's pretty much a lost cause. Funny that you've been jinxed. One of my exes once told me I'm a completely diff person around them. Duh! lol

VDiz...I have some insanely long term friends. Unfortunately I only see them at holidays or some bdays (this partic post was from my boy Coop's bday last month). They dont know much about my day to day life, but they sure as hell know where I come from and who I am. And dysfunctional is an understatement. lol

Jam...And did you and the exes have friends that you made together? Who else did you hang with??

La...Meeting the parents aint so bad...


Epsi...And you dont feel like your SO should be more intimate with that "history?" (ps...sorry I missed u) :(

Anonymous said...

Never really had an SO to bring around friends and fam. But my friends and I are a welcoming bunch, so I think it would be cool. But we're also very quick with a sharp wit, so he'd have to be able to hang (usually, if he can keep up with me, he'll be able to keep up with the friends).

I always get along with a guy's friends, and it would be important to me that he get along with my friends. They don't have to be buddy buddy, but I'd want him (and them) to feel comfortable in the situation. Hell, me too for that matter.

DurtyMo said...

I loved this post! Ha! Sad to some but fine by me, I only have 2 good good friends and they are females... *sigh*

Adei von K said...

i think you should bring your SO around your friends. they may see things you don't and let you know if he's worthy of you or not. you know how it is, SO meets your aces and they don't like him; tell you he's no good... 7 months later, you wished you listened.

luckily, my SO is cool with everybody. i think their profession makes a difference as well. who can be cool around an auditor? on the other hand, a musician is cool with whatever, you know?

So...Wise...Sista said...

BGood...I'm a guys girl too. I LOVE when his friends fall in love with me. lol I feel you on the wit. That's a good test when u meet someone, assessing if they could hang convo wise.

Durt...why sigh? I bet those 2 friends are thorough as hell and that's all you need!

Stace...Im never against the SO meeting the crew...just not in groups where alcohol and photo albums are easily available!

Anonymous said...

Gal, yu need fi get this 'shit' published in de form of short stories. Too good, too good....and this makes me remember when....

My son went to Ja. when he was 13yrs, for the second time. First time he was 1yr and 9mths....
After being there for some months he asked why Jamaicans say everything twice. It never dawned on me that we do that but is true true.
Gemma

Jameil said...

it was like friend time was friend time & the SO doesn't necessarily need to be there-- me around his or his around mine. we did have some mutual friends but it wasn't that big of a deal. more like we'd each just invite some of our friends if necessary.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I am very good with an SO's friends. I've only been awkward around one friend of an So...I think that's because my ass may have had a tad bit of a crush in the "I can't stand his ass" type of way....
As for my really close female friends...well, one is motherly, another wild, and one just plain mean as fuck... she'd rather cut ya then speak to you.
I'd much rather my menz meet my male friends than my female friends...you know...dudes just get along better.

the joy said...

Oh it matters. If la and Kesi didn't have this brother/ sister rapport he wouldn't have made it this far. But honestly, people who don't like her or him are haters any damn way. I'm the same with his friends... I love them just as much as he does, thank God.

But a person can't expect their SO to just fall into place... You didn't instantly become friends with them, so give the SO time to make their own memories with your friends... If they can stand the heat.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Anon Gemma...True true! hahahaha


Jameil...Nice arrangement. At least if you have separate peoples no one loses much in the event of a divorce. *sigh*


Blah...ya know what...my guy friends are kind of problem. they have zero behavior, and zero inclination for couth. My homegirls tho not much better, at least take the time to judge the SO. lol


J to Tha says..."give the SO time to make their own memories with your friends... If they can stand the heat."

Very good point. I'm just notsomuch with the patience. lol

1969 said...

They need to meet your friends but the only one that really needs to be happy is you.

Unfortunately, as your friends get older, you will all stay tight but will marry, have kids and move on to your own lives. Your friends are YOURS.....not necessarily your mates.

My hubby has friends that he never wants me to see and vice versa....those are the ones we probably have the most fun with :)

Jonzee said...

My S.O is is well liked by all of my friends--the ones he has met so far. Which amazes me. Most of them are the ones who talk me off the bratty edge when I start bugging.

I guess he this one is friend friendly. He can hang on his own. Mixing friends is more of an issue for me than mixing friends and SO's

His friends are a different story His Vanilla friends and their wives are mad cool. The Chocolate ones don't mix friends and wives...which I don't get. I think I might blog about that there.

dreamyj said...

i have introduced my friends to my exes but we've not ever all hung out consistently. the people i date aren't usually in the friend circle so i don't bring them in, i think it might make it awkward. now when i get married/am with someone worth marrying that will change.

Anonymous said...

Its ok we missed each other. There will be more opportunities.

I share it with them. I just think they do not understand the dynamics of the relationship I have with some of my friends. Its one of those things you have to experience

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers