Thursday, November 15, 2007

TEXTSTYLES

You Know You Text Too Effing Much When…


You can go days without ever actually putting the phone to your ear.

You have two phones, and one’s JUST for texting.

You sit down at a computer and are baffled when there’s no T9 word recognizer popping up (bonus if your thumbs rest on the home keys).

Instead of going over to say to hello to a friend you see at a bar/party/restaurant, etc…you text them and compliment their shoes.

In real life convos you forget that not everyone speaks (texts) in song lyrics and patois.

You have the ringer off but you instinctively know when a text is coming (and look at your phone at the precise second it arrives).

You begin to speak in 160 character sentences.

You text someone who's in front of you just for fun...OR...whoever is in front of you when you text, sends you a text that is the equivalent of 'Call me on 3-way.'

You send intervention texts on someone's behalf.

Driving doesn’t stop your conversation. Nor class. Nor business meetings. Nor being on another call. Nor grocery shopping. Nor sleeping.

You get pissed when someone says, “Here’s my home phone number.”

When Text Sex is sufficient.

You convince yourself that sending a Happy BDay text is akin to an ecard.

Friends add unlimited texts to their cellie plans just because of you.

Your stylus is like a fashion accessory...and when you lose it *gasp* it's like losing your car keys.

You accidentally hit CALL while texting and when it reverts to calling the person you were texting you PANIC and damn near power it off just so that you DON'T call them instead of texting.

You carry your phone charger in your bag cuz you KNOW all that texting eats the hell out of your battery.

Your fingers are crossed that you can use it to cast your vote for President by 2008.

You hear the phone call ringtone and it takes a second to register what the hell it is.

You input certain names in your phones as DO NOT TEXT.

You let the voice mail pick up and respond to the call with a text.

Some friends only require one-word responses.

There are people you text at specific designated times every day...like you're taking the pill or some shit.

You get a series of texts Saturday morning “lol’ing” about whatever the hell you texted the night before.

You fcuk up and send the wrong person the wrong text, but shrug it off, as if it’s normal to mix up conversations in any other communicative medium. (except maybe call waiting)

Instead of carrying a wallet, you just tuck cash into your phone case.

You can type in the dark of night.

You’re fluent and literate in not only drunk text, but also text sarcasm.

You wish you could text your professor or boss to tell them you’re gonna be late.

You consider getting your young relatives cells phones just cuz it would be easier to help with their homework that way.

People text you first to ask permission to call.

25 comments:

CNEL said...

I was just telling someone I need to jump on the Smartphone bandwagon and get a Blackberry so I can respond to e-mails before the end of business, but I'm a slow texter so questioning whether for me a Smartphone would be efficient?

What I love about texts aside from sometimes being able to have meaningful conversations which might not otherwise happen, most text convos have the ability to make me smile, and texting makes me a tad bolder. I'm been known to say some outrageous things via text.

GreatWhyte said...

This is my favorite post of November. And yes, it's because most, if not all, of the things on your list apply to me (as I type from my text-only Sidekick!). SIGH. Technology has made it even easier for me to be an ass.

Virtuous said...

OMG!!! I am over here laughing b/c about 80% of this is SO true for me! HAHA!!!

And I "hate" when I muck up and text the wrong thing to the wrong person UGH!!

And I so send a text to my boss when I run late! LOL

DurtyMo said...

OK! So you wrote this text about me. That's just great. LOL! But I am dyin laffin at the last one. People text you first to ask permission to call. That is priceless!

1969 said...

Step away Wise before it's too late :)

Don said...

hahahahahahahaha


Best post I've ever seen concerning text messages. I see there is someone who understands why I rather text than talk.

I'm dying when you said mistakenly call the person then turn the phone off. Too real.

Type in the dark of night, let the voice mail pick up, intervention text...good ish.

Blah Blah Blah said...

I actually text my boss that I am going to be late...all the time. At first he didn't know how to view them...
60 year old millionaire has every fucking gadget in the world but sadly is Oh So Not technically inclined. I had to show him how to retrieve them.

I always text ppl telling them to call me... That's what phones are for.
I don't answer my phone unless I am expecting your call. Just the way shit is these days...nahmean.

Chris the Minimalist said...

LMAO i love this post! Almost all of it applies to me. I especially love it when people call me and i let it go to voice mail, only to text them back damn near immediately askin what they want LOL

Southerner in Suomi said...

That T9 word recognizer is the best thing EVER!! And I'm emailing this to my boy.

It ALL applies to him. Lol.

So...Wise...Sista said...

ALL...In my own defense...not ALL of these apply to me directly. Like, I dont JUST text on phone #2. I make calls too. lol

PS...I busted out laughing every time I sent/received a text today. Yall are a mess! hahahaha :)

Miz JJ said...

Whoa, I saw myself in a few of those. I do prefer texting to phone calls. It's more efficient!

Adei von K said...

hell.
yeah.

unlimited texting is a MUST! I love texting but most of my friends don't :-(

i think accidently calling a person while texting is the worst too! its like, "NOOOOO! I don't want to talk!!!"

Anonymous said...

ha ...I Love It!!!... text sex is sufficient ... I dont know about sll that ... but I do text ... so much in fact I use my minutes rarely ...ex. last month sent over 5000 texts used only about 100 of my 900 minutes ... sad

...my friends get mad cause im super speedy and I get angry when their replies aren't as quick ...

did you know there is a texting olympics so to speak? ... a girl won $25000 for spelling supercalifragilistic... you know the rest... in so many seconds

plus I worked once up a time for a certain cell phone company ... so I know all the secret text things that most folk dont... making textin an even more rewarding experience

Anonymous said...

Text sex exists??? Wow

the joy said...

i am guilty of a bunch of these.

but you forgot one... "you flirt by trying to link up with someone's phone via bluetooth." this has happened to me twice. i was like really????

my friend searched my phone because i made a joke about texting my bf naked pix... he was disappointed, lol.

the joy said...

calibrwn you need to SHARE!!!! i need yto know how to not have carpal tunnel from my berry!!! oh, thats another good one wise. i def get hand cramps.

Anonymous said...

LOL @ the last sentence. Definitely!

Amadeo said...

Hey...do you text often?

So...Wise...Sista said...

Mizjj...Isnt it!!!

Stace says..."I love texting but most of my friends don't :-("

Girl text me! lol

Cali...hahahaha@ getting mad when they're not speedy.

Young Epsi says..."Text sex exists???"

Oh wow.

Joy...OMG the bluetooth!! that hasnt happened in a looong time. HAHAHAHA

Bgood...At least they know!

Amadeo...can u resend that last thing u said...my phone died for a sec. lol

Jameil said...

that was too long and too ig. "You have two phones, and one’s JUST for texting" is la ain't it?

La said...

Um... Jam... did we ASK you for that? lol

Anonymous said...

I am mad Jam called La out like that. Dont let her do that La lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

Ay ay ay!!

Dont be bringing no drama up in here!

Jam...you KNOW u were wrong for that.

LA...put ur earrings back on. So hood ALL the damn time.

Now... Young Epsi...play ref til I get back with the popcorn and Coronas.

GreatWhyte said...

Get em Rib... callin you all out and whatnot!

p_nami said...

LMAO
Damn this is ME!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers