Tuesday, August 07, 2007

CHEERS!

The anticipation is almost unbearable.

I’m walking to my destination, literally bouncing. The balls of my feet are like rubber, and soon I transition from step to step-ball-change… and I’m a backup dancer, and the street is my arena stage.

Every shimmy takes me closer to it, and I am literally panting, short of breath, heart racing. I’m thinking ahead to how it will feel, how I will feel afterwards, how this will alter my whole being for the next few hours.

I get back to the telly, and there it is…a huge bag of ice, my brand new shaker, a big bottle of cranberry juice, a bottle of grapefruit juice, and a bottle of Appleton Reserve.

I am literally Alcoholically Aroused.

Toronto was off the hook. Had a great time with great people, great food, great music, great parties, and most of all great effing liquor.

I realized recently that the conventional wisdom regarding the allure of controlled substances is actually the acute opposite for me.

Ya know, 'alcohol makes you forget your worries, takes you to a different place, makes you more uninhibited.'

Truth for me is that alcohol gives me a bird’s eye view of my issues. Drives me curbside to my shit, drops me off and speeds down the road.

And that’s probably the allure.

Because don’t we spend most of our time trying to ignore the uncomfortable things? I believe our daily routines are mere distractions from the bad stuff. In our quests to maintain a semblance of sanity, our fears and troubles tend to manifest through stress, bouts of anger, silence, obsessive work ethics, whatever.

And by *we* I mean Wise.

I haven’t done any research yet to confirm that this is an occurrence prevalent beyond my own head. But, I can confidently call my damn self out on this one.

A year ago my therapist asked me to bring in pics of my pops, and then asked me to describe, a) how I FELT in the picture, and b) what I THOUGHT in the picture.

For the life of me, I couldn’t figure out what she meant by FEEL.

Everything I said was what I THOUGHT. I hadn’t a clue how to identify my feelings.

But at the bottom of a mojito/gin/rum/Goose/Red.Str!pe, I understand quite clearly what it is I’m feeling. And said mojito even interprets the shit for me. Even takes it a step further and gives me an opportunity to deal with it, whether by waving like I just don’t care, or drunk texting or earling out of the back seat door (I’m kidding. This isn’t exactly my steez, but you see where I’m going with it).

Gives me the stomach for one or two or three more, which in turn equals one or two or three more moments to face whatever it is I call myself ignoring.

And oh, how good it FEELS going down.

[INSERT Wise dancing all hard...
Row di boat, row di boat!]

18 comments:

SunshineMama said...

Damn Wise,
Maybe I need to have a good stiff Mojito moment. It has been a minute. (...and the wheels are turning)

Amadeo said...

I have been making mojitos for the past few weeks...mmmmm...mojito...I also got a new Martini set I need to break in. I hear you on being the opposite. When I drink I'm more likely to sit down and shut up than to get all happy and wild out. When I'm drunk I know it and tone myself down...no forgetting.

1969 said...

Drunk introspection? That's a direct result of that Appleton Gold. You need to switch up to some Trinidadian Ten Cane Rum....then you'll really focus on what ails you. :)

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

Lot 'o damn sugar in those mojitos.....

the very.

So...Wise...Sista said...

Sunshine!!!! Hey girlie. You already know Im a bad influence. Im gonna tell you to have a "Mo Moment" every time!


Amadeo...Ohh, quiet drunks are fun!

1969...You know Im bout to locate this Ten Cane biznis ASAP, right? lol

Rev...Mojito, rum, gin. Dont matter. Sugar...TONS. Effect...PRICELESS. lol

Organized Noise said...

Welcome back, now let's get to work.

Anonymous said...

...the last time I had mojitos... y'all were sending out prayers for me becasue "we" thought I had left my brand new shoes in the cab ride home...
*when I say "we", I mean bloggers!*

Alcohol gives me blackouts... so maybe...somehow that helps me to cope with my bag full o' problems... ummm, maybe.
Could happen!

bloopty!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun Wise.

bloopty!

Adei von K said...

oh yes! you can address and WILL address whatver is on your mind and heart when that good liq is in your system. TRUTH SERUM is what i call it.

i'm still on a tight t wearing man with braided locs... damn that's hot.

So...Wise...Sista said...

ON...Ya know it!

Blah...oh shit I had my first blackout on friday. It's much different than a 'Pass Out'. And I can now safely agree that it probably DOES help a lot. lol

Stace..."Truth Serum" "Liquid Courage". All that. I'm finding drinking is the only way Ill allow myself to even pay any mind to any of my issues...and I aint even got that many problems (thank God)! lol

aquababie said...

i could use a mojito right now! frankly any alcohol will do. i'm having a moment.

expressions of mirth said...

in vino veritas...

of course, i don't know the latin word for rum, but whatever works!

chanel

So...Wise...Sista said...

Aqua...Oh oh oh, I'll drink with you. Not having a moment or anything but I hate seeing people going thru things (like alcoholic beverages) by themselves. lol

EM...Indeed!

And Im pretty sure you're right, vino was the latin catchall phrase for anything that got the empire crunk. lol Works for me.

Anonymous said...

As I alluded to when I saw you, you have to give me drink recommendations. I'm a friggin amateur. Just one word or four rather: I don't do beer!

Anonymous said...

"Because don’t we spend most of our time trying to ignore the uncomfortable things?"

and i wonder how many times i said what i thought i felt but in truth one had nothing to do with the other ... thank for the brain food ... ill have to chew on this one for a bit ...

So...Wise...Sista said...

CNelly says..."Just one word or four rather: I don't do beer!"

Here's the 1st recommendation...accept that beer will soon be your best friend.

You already got the soco. Get to know grey goose and red bull (tho ur already plenty hyper), crown and coke, and the classic tanqueray and oj. That ought hold ya.


AI...I'm convinced we're just not wired to function under duress. So the fun is in figuring out ways of avoiding it. lol

La said...

so you're like one of those philisophical drunks like when people get high and solve world hunger? lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

La says..."philisophical drunk"

Nooooo. I'm a party drunk...but all the while the real shit is rolling through my head right along with the music. So I take advantage of the opportunity to close my (drunk) eyes (usually on the dance floor) and internalize the real. But to the untrained eye it just looks like Im too bent and really into the music.

Im so complex. lol

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers