Friday, June 02, 2006

Speak Brothas, Speak

No one knows Black men better than Black women…or so we’d like to think. But this sista will be intently following the yearlong study by the Washington Post, which began today, about what it means to be a Black Man in America today.

I was one of about ten pretty little, cornrowed black girls in my Kindergarten class of about 25. And you couldn’t tell me nothing. I came in knowing my ABCs, had a mean left hook, and home training enough to know when using it was appropriate.

What I didn’t know then was that statistically, if you grabbed a pen and my class photo, you could cross off about four of us bright eyed, pony tailed princesses. Only the six remaining would ever marry.

Or that so many of my male counterparts would face a rigorous and unparalleled societal obstacle course to the path of success. A road too often making pit stops at prisons and morgues.

But as professional urban women we sure know it now. We have loved, been heartbroken by, mentored and befriended the brothers featured in the first installment by the Post. We are related by blood and experience, walked graduation stages beside them, and even grabbed our designer handbags when they pass us on the street.

As well as we know our brothers, as many of us are raising them, we will never know what it is, really like to be these brothers. It’s time for Black men to have a voice. That is why this sista is all ears.

15 comments:

The Humanity Critic said...

It should be interesting to see what is the result oif that study. Cool blog.

Jameil said...

awwwwwwww i love black men. they can do it. i have faith in them. and i'm behind, beside, and in front of them all my life.

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

one of my goals is to show my lil'sarccastik (why is she hittin' this poor mirror right now...and talkin' too it....my lil'sarccastik...funny is not the word)..a positive male black influence in her family....i've got to do it...it's my mission in life...

Da Arsonist said...

Great Post....Kid Sis...lol.

I hope that I can live up to be a positive example for youngers to have.

Anonymous said...

i'm going to be reading post articles with great interest. i'm keeping the faith that the situation will improve.

Anonymous said...

To me the message of the post the article is clear, it's black women who seem to be holding the community together and are responsable for most of the progress. The bad news is that's they are going to face an even tougher time in the future.

Nika Laqui said...

This was deep.

Anonymous said...

I know I am a positive example of what a Black male can be. I just hope I inspire younger brothers to live up to their full potential.

I am glad you are one sister who is all ears. Many have abandoned us.

Adei von K said...

I love Mr. Blackman too. I am soooooo ooooooooo excited abt this series!!

4EverJennayNay said...

I would just like to say that I am in love with Black men. They are the most unique, beautiful and coveted creatures on the face of the planet. Lord knows I love an educated, articulate one...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me aware of this ongoing coverage and the reporting being done by the post. The prep school mentioned in the first article is a rival of my prep school back in Bmore. That young man is an inspiration to someone like me five years his senior.

This is important work being done, an important story, and hopefully it will spark a much needed dialogue and discussion.

EqualOpportunityCrush said...

the results should be interesting. I do try to keep hope alive for the Black man, but I still gotta queen my crushes on the equal opportunity tip, just in case, my black knight never arrives..

Knockout Zed said...

If you heard my voice, it'd be talking about big ass titties.

KZ

Rashan Jamal said...

good looking out on the series, I wouldnt have known about it. I hope it does us Black men some justice.

Mr.Slish said...

So wise you know I can't read anything that has 6-7 letter words...

hmmm What it means to be a black man in America.. AAhh I GOT IT

PO in spirit(The man can do that to a brotha,

BROKE in the pockets(child support is a muthafuka),

NEVER LONELY( Police and Baby mama's always breathing down our necks)

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers