Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Prodigal Penis

Chitown showed me no love this weekend. None at all, at all, Joe.

Not the weather.

Not the testosterone.

Not even the retail.

I love visiting Chicago, but this time the city seemed to be on a sabbatical. Not even the hood showed me love. (ok granted I was mostly in the 'burbs. )

Love was actually the reason for my extended jaunt to ChiGritty.

My Uncle Judd, one of my mom's 4 lil bruhs (8 a dem in all), got hitched. He's one of my fav uncles... the cool azz rasta who rocks Dickies shorts, a crispy white tee and matching immaculate white Ups with a swagger meaner than any young knucklehead.

He lives outside Philly, and I don't see that jawn very often at all. Matter of fact, he was at my sister's wedding two years ago, and before that I don't think I had seen him since I was a kid visiting Spanish Town in Jamaica.

So it came as a bit of a shock when a couple months back my cousin called and asked if I would be a bridesmaid in the wedding.

Uh, yeah, sure. Take one for the fam, right?

Lawd Gawd.

Things you will hear at a Jamaican wedding...

..."...take you to be my awfully weddin 'usban."

..."Cohn-Gradu-LA-Shan!"

..."Jessas Chrys, mi cyan find di dyam ring dem!"

..."Is wha time church a keep?"

..."Yuh auntie mek some manish watah. Gwan oatside an get a cup bring fi mi and di baby."

..."Ah op'n, di bar op'n?"


..."No woman no cry!"

...Ladies and genkleman...Daddy him woulda so proud fi see all him pick'ni dem gather togeddah here..."


I was born here, and frankly lots of their back home inside jokes are always way over my head. But you don't need to be fluent in Jamaican patois to translate the love that permeated the weekend.

My Uncle and his wife had their first baby 28 years ago. My Uncle has a couple of other kids from another relationship, the youngest of which is 5 years old.

So basically there was a lot of on again, off again going down in their relationship. 30 years worth, to be exact.

One thing I kept hearing over and over was a saying from back home, "Nobody cyan tek what ah already yours."

While I can't say that I totally co-sign that one, because I think the underlying implication is that women should shut the fcuk up and twiddle their thumbs while their men go out, do their dirt, then grow the hell up...I am definitely feeling the boomerang theme...

"They say if you love something, you've got to let it go.
And if it comes back, then it means so much more.
But if it never does, at least you will know,
That it was something you had to go through to grow."
~"In My Mind" (aka the Millenium Stalker Anthem) by Heather Headley

I'm of the belief that there is always one that got away...could be bad timing, youth, a stupid indiscretion, pure immaturity or just denial that keeps you away from one another. But as they say, if it's meant to be it will be...even if it's 30 years later.

Not exactly encouraging words for me, as I approach 30 years old. I'm impatient, and curious...with a very healthy dose of obsession with marriage. I'm fascinated by people who are divorced and under 40. I got some stories to tell. Got some folks who I wanna have tell their own stories.

What I hear a lot from married folk is that love is only a small part of the equation.

But after being in coldhearted Chitown, warmed by intense family love all weekend, I wonder if love shouldn't count for so much more.

PS...I'm still feeling nostalgic and idealistic after the wedding...It will soon wear off and your regularly scheduled reality-based, cynical/sarcasm-laden programming will return by week's end. I promise.

30 comments:

DramaFree said...

LMAO @ "Millenium Stalker Anthem". I was thinking that myself...a broad would have to have a serious case of denial going on to believe she'll always be his lady lol.

4EverJennayNay said...

I've already decided I will around 30 before I get married. 30 is a about 6 yrs off for me, but thats what I feel. I'm half way shamed that some of my ideals for marriage are so unrealistic. I need those years to be real with myself.

Knockout Zed said...

I got married 2 weeks after I turned 30. Separated at 31. My divorce was final the day after my 33rd birthday. Go figure.

Anyway, I definitely believe in the one that got away. Everytime I run into her I get knotted up inside.

KZ

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

I think love is a moving target in a three dimensional space.

What gets you into marriage, is perhaps *not* what keeps you there in the long run, but i do think its all facets of the diamond of love.


T.G.R

Blah Blah Blah said...

wtfck he just say...the Rev always says something to make me go...huh? I think I get it....umm, I think.

@ Wise...yea, bring back the cynical chick....we're like sisters from another mister....and mother....lol
Nostalgia is all good...but a...I need to jump on someone's bandwagon...and right now, e'erybody else seems to be in love or 'bout to be in love.....
So you come on back, ya hear.

nikki said...

booooo@all that sentimental drivel, even if i want the same things. lol

Mr.Slish said...

Hey hey hey..I like the softer side of So wise...

Like dem seh Misery Luv Company

So...Wise...Sista said...

LS....funny! But it's such a sweet lil song.


4Ever...Ooooh, I love idealism in relationships. Do tell! :)


KZ...I wanna hear about your marriage so bad...I need to understand who and what got you to tie the knot int he first place. Perhaps I need to get you liquored up at Slishy's lil shindig
and take you to a "safe space" where we can connect and open up and shit. :) Deal?


Rev...whatever the eff that means, I love it. No really it sounds just abstract enough to be true...and yet bullshit enough to not be able to debate it. lol


Blah...I know what you mean! There is def something in this spring air that has everyone all out of their element. I feel so uninspired. But you're just cynical enough for everybody!


Nikki...Exactly!


Slish/...Don't get it twisted, rude bwoy...there is no softer side of Wise...unless we on it like that. ;)

Mr.Slish said...

You Lie AFRICAN!!! I see through your smoke screen sistren...lol

So...Wise...Sista said...

Oh yeah? And what you see behind that smoke screen, Alknowing African? ;)

Mr.Slish said...

I see I see I see a WHOOOOLLE lot of graaaay....lol

btw glad you acknowledge i'm an alknowing african.

Anonymous said...

Marriage is a game of chance like the lottery. Simply because you meet people at random... I just hope my number comes early before I become an unstoppable full fledge workaholic.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, Wise you are getting soft!!!

FreeBeing said...

"Nobody can take what is already yours." I hear what you're saying about the negative way it can be used, but I really like it.

Now hurry up and brang back the cynical, reality-based you! LOL

Peace

Chubby Chocolate said...

One thing I don't understand at Jamaican weddings is the cake business. They treat it like it's gold! I thought the couple were the only ones who should keep a piece in their freezer for one year, but the whole lot of them were elbowing each other for a piece to freeze...Or is it just my crazy aiss country family?!

Rashan Jamal said...

love is for suckers. Bring back the sarcasm. LOL

So...Wise...Sista said...

Slish...yuh no know nuttin!


Dam says..."Marriage is a game of chance like the lottery."
Well damn, if you put it that way, then you saying an investment in marriage has horrible odds. Well maybe I can have one of them scratch-off marriages, where you can consistently win a lil $5 %25 here and there. :)


Eps...I aint getting soft...but I am getting bored. :(


Free..Here I come! Love blows. lol


Chubbs...Lawd Gawd the cake. All I know is my cousins sat up until early early mawning, putting cake in little individual boxes for people to take home. And truth be told at any given time you will find a piece in a freezer bag at my mom's crib. That shit is so true!!


TCas says "love is for suckers."

And this from the same cat who did a dead-on Diddy and Usher impersonation just the other day. lol

Rashan Jamal said...

Hey, I didnt say I wasn't a sucka, too

Miz JJ said...

lmao @ ..."Jessas Chrys, mi cyan find di dyam ring dem!"

So...Wise...Sista said...

TCas...glad you're not trying to front!


MizJJ...No lie. And this was literally less than an hour before the "start time" for the damn wedding. I swear the drama was unbearable!

i like liquor and tv said...

I'm not even going to lie, I always feel kinda sick after I leave a wedding. I'm not sure if it's the fact that I'm inside of a church or what. But something about a wedding makes me feel down.

p.s. When I get married it's gonna be in Vegas baby. Everyone's invited!

Anonymous said...

"I'm of the belief that there is always one that got away...could be bad timing, youth, a stupid indiscretion, pure immaturity or just denial that keeps you away from one another."

I second that!

I am forever conflicted, but I can't see myself going through the motions for 30 years. I have been enamored by a certain young woman for four years. The last time I was enamored by someone for a long period, we ended up dating, but it was shortlived. Now I'm careful what I wish for....

So...Wise...Sista said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
So...Wise...Sista said...

Liq...Did somebody say Vegas? I'm IN!


CNelly...You aint never lied baby. 30 years is a long time to be hemming and hawing...but really I think my Uncle just knew he always had her to come back, by virtue of their kids (who are now grown), and their history. And Lord knows that's an excuse people use to death as they do their dirt in their 20s. Hopefully that shit won't catch up to you in your 50s!

I say if you wish for something real, then wish on!

Little Brown Girl said...

Weddings just fuk you up don't they? I gotta be in two in the same weekend...one in Richmond and one in Atlanta...I thought I'd be al sentimental and shyt (that why not me kinda crap) but then I started looking for plane tixs to get me back and forth to both places (one wedding is on Friday night and the other is on Sunday)...so needless to say the money I am dishing out for bridesmaid dresses and plane tixs is pissing me off so much so that I am like fuk a wedding...I'ma have a straight up scowl on my face the whole time I'm standing next to the happy azz brides. Weddings...FUK UM!!

Oh and congrats to you Uncle and his Boo LOL!

Nika Laqui said...

Why you ain't hit me up?

*lol* "joe"..*lol*
Where you was at out west? Talkin like that...

Anonymous said...

..."Ah op'n, di bar op'n?"

LOL!!!!!

J

So...Wise...Sista said...

RD...Go with my blessing, girl. I don't know how you'll do it...but I tell you I would be up in every bridal party photo with the mean mug. I have already decided not to have any bridesmaids or groomsmen...that shit is like asking a friend to GIVE you a couple hundred dollars and not expect to ever get that shit back. Then the couple isnt even together a year? Eff that. That's not even an investment in love. That's a bad debt. lol


NSane...That "joe" was just for you! Here's what else I learned...
"Whatchu on, joe?" :)


Anon J...I come from a long line of drunks. lol

Anonymous said...

Let me tell you how I read this and had to stop several times. YO! You had me cracking tha hell up. This hits home on many levels: Im Jamerican too and I'm gonna attend a wedding soon myself. Lawdavmercy...island people are hilarious. Genkleman...loved it! You killed it girl. For real.

Jameil said...

you ain't got to be all cynical all the time. shake them haters off. as if there wasn't an air of cynicism to this anyway. regardless that was fun! i love weddings! and all this talk of them b/t you and miss a, i really want to go to one so i can talk abt em too!

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers