Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Book Club


Now having said all that, the book I'm currently reading is a hood "classic"...BMore Care.ful. I first met with the author a few years back at the Starbucks on 125th Street, shortly after its great migration Uptown. The night before, I tracked down a copy of his (then new) book from a friend who dug it out of a mile-high pile submitted to her for shine in her mag. Then I asked my then roommate to read it for me. Done in a few hours, she said it was aight.

Since then he's gone on to be published several times over, secured a very lucrative book deal with Simon and Schu.ster, and has put quite a few other cats on. Though I'm struggling through his, umm, prose...I can stomach his hustle. He's got grown men and women discussing the virtues of his fictional characters and their grimy world surroundings. You remember my book club...and its penchant for selecting this genre...and such an oldie at that (tho I think the chick who picked this month's book just has a lot going on and wanted to pick something she already read).

Well, I made a comment in jest on another blog about starting a blogger book club. Then another blogger emailed me and co-signed. I responded and expressed reasons why I don't think it would work... trying to find a unanimous selection, actually read it on time, and then actively coordinate a discussion. But I really enjoyed the diversity of intelligent opinions on my last post. So I plan to talk more about what I'm reading and encourage y'all to do so too. Who's in?

I also know that there are some bona fide authors already out there in blogland...you've seen some of their comments on this here blog in fact...and I wanna give them some shine too. ::holler at me::

I also need to clear out a lot of books that are severely cramping the Harlem Estate. So be on the lookout...I'ma have me a blog book sale!

12 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

I'm game.. let's get it cracking

Da Arsonist said...

I'm Game...

The Very Reverend Ace Clemmons, Jr. said...

I'm in.

Jameil said...

lets go. i think we could do it. pick a book and we can meet either here or at a blogger book club site to discuss. it doesn't even necessarily have to be at the same time. i think it would be fun. also. clearly bmore careful is one of cnel's fave books. i didn't like it at all. i think it sucks.

The Sarccastik Variable Why said...

let me know of some good books coming out...one thing i found out at my age...READING IS FUN...and fundamental, and all that other jazz they told us when we were young...

Anonymous said...

You know I'm done for stimulating intellectual reading and discussion.

Anonymous said...

count me in too! since the book club i'm here currently is on hiatus, i'm down

Blah Blah Blah said...

we live 'round the block from eachother....i get first dibs on those damn books yo!

So...Wise...Sista said...

I am def pleasantly surprised to see so many fellas bout it. That mean we can't read no chick books?


Jameil...Were you ever the secretary of any organization? lol Ok...if you believe we can make it happen I'm game.


Blah...YOU aint lugging your laundry to the 'dromat...so I suspect you're also not trying to lug no box of books down my 5 flights. :)

Veronica Marché said...

Count me in, yo.

Jameil said...

hahahaha wise. why you hatin. the answer is yes. but i was more likely to be the pres. i've also been vice prez. very political growing up.

Angel said...

i LOVE book sales!!! especially black books! how much they gonna run for?
~fallen angel

Disqus for She's Just Not Feeling You...

  • So...Wise??

    My photo
    Our Nation's (HIV) Capital...by way of Harlem, NY and Upsteezy NY
    I'm older than I look, and stupider than you think. But I'm quite proud of my sharp eye for The Ridiculous, and by Ridiculous, of course I mean Me.

    Followers